PDA

View Full Version : relocation, relocation, shafted

blagger
8th Jul 2004, 18:13
t

soddim
8th Jul 2004, 21:02
Maybe things have changed out of all recognition in the modern forces but 6 weeks notice with no consideration for one's spouse and not much information on the new post was not that unusual in my day.

Shame if it happens too often but hard to see how it can always be avoided given the nature of service in the armed forces. Let's face it, multi-national companies and unions are not to be confused with military conditions of service.

Not much sympathy here - sorry.

Zoom
8th Jul 2004, 21:19
Many years ago even the USAF's bachelors had just about everything they owned shifted free - furniture, car, etc. RAF bachelors had whatever they could squeeze into a one cubic metre tri-wall box moved free.

FEWNCOP
8th Jul 2004, 21:28
Soddim,

Thing is, me and you signed up to a life of disruption. Fact is, our spouses didn't, but they do get mucked around just as much as we do. Unfortunately this is as much a fact today as it was 'in your day', but it doesn't make it right.

Blagger, I'm with you!

Trumpet_trousers
8th Jul 2004, 23:22
Soddim,

we have (supposedly) 'moved on' in Auntie Betty's Flying Club, as alluded to in previous posts, but what I suspect gets up most people's noses these days is all the cr*p 'management-speak' of IiP, Mission Statements, Vision Statements etc.etc. that are, IMHO, NEVER backed up by actions to justify them.......if you're going to shaft someone, then why pussyfoot around with meaningless buzz-words and phrases?:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sideshow Bob
9th Jul 2004, 07:19
This is what has gone wrong with the service. Too many people, who knew what they were getting into in the first place, winging when they are asked to do something that does not fit in with their own little life. Blagger, it is no different for airmen and NCO's ,just the same, some manage to get themselves cushy deals, most get shafted. By the way, try being sent to the north of Scotland and then being left there. No sympathy, you signed up, no one made you. You could always do the government a favour and reduce the numbers by PVRing.

Descend to What Height?!?
9th Jul 2004, 07:28
Sounds about right.
We had posting notices, authority to move and a posting date, and by the way chaps can you do it ASAP because of the heavy operational/exercise commitment in the next few months?
*%$*£$shire to !)(%)*shire here we go.
So off we go, several guys almost on verge of exchanging contracts after fighting to get their kids in to local schools.
Then at 11th hour.
Sorry Chaps.
Ministed defered decision. We shouldn't have given you the authority, er can you stop and activity to do with posting until further notice. Thank You.

Happy? er NO! :mad: :* :* :mad:

witchdoctor
9th Jul 2004, 09:58
What makes you think it's any different on the outside? Not a lot of 'good' companies to work for anymore, and if you think the airlines are going to pay relocation for you...........ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

:*

smartman
9th Jul 2004, 10:05
During 22 years of RAF married-time, we had 11 postings and 12 house-moves. Average notice around 3 months, with a couple of 4-weekers. Turmoil for the whole family, but everyone always mucked in. We always made the best of things, relished the good and made the best of the bad. Looking back, wouldn't have wanted it any different. Great times, (rose-tinted things off).

In comparison, RoE much the same now as then ----------------

blagger
9th Jul 2004, 11:38
Interesting spread of replies - don't get me wrong - I didn't want to appear as a whinger - I wouldn't change my RAF career for anything else, but I feel we could do things better sometimes. It's not the Desk Offs fault - from what I have seen they have an almost impossible task. Perhaps we in the RAF could learn something from the Navy's TOPMAST?? (does that goes for Offs as well?) Just feel that it's the non-financial issues like this that we could perhaps develop to help us make people happier and hence more operationally effective.

ORAC
9th Jul 2004, 12:03
25 years in, moved on average once every 2 years. One of the reasons I left was in order to be able to settle down.

I left 5 years ago, and been already been moved 5 times. UK-UAE (1 year), UAE-Paris (18 months), Paris-LA (18 months), LA-UK (1 year), just been moved again, UK-Madrid (expect 1-2 years). :sad:

But they pay me well to do it. The overseas allowances alone are more than I got paid in the RAF........ :O

tu chan go
9th Jul 2004, 15:24
25 years in and I have NEVER had to move at 6 weeks notice. I have always kept in close touch with my poster and contacted him at or around my tour review date or earlier. I have always had the posting of my choice because I have spoken to him in plenty of time and suggested a suitable posting for me. This has reduced his decision making process about me to 'square peg, square hole, thanks mate!'

On the other hand, I do know of people who have had postings changed at short notice or who have been moved to fill an urgent gap somewhere. But these have been the exception.

When I joined, I expected to be moved about a lot; that was part of the attraction. When I met my wife to be, she was under no illusion about how much I moved, and accepted that there would be disruption. But we have made the best of it and thoroughly enjoyed OUR time in the RAF. It's a partnership! We both work at it. Accepted, she has not had a career to speak of but that was OUR choice.

Sideshow Bob, I agree. Anyone who does not like moving should make the ultimate move. OUT.