PDA

View Full Version : A licence for whole world?

leoc
8th Jul 2004, 17:43
I'm from HK and thinking to join in the pilot's world. I looked around in this forum and a new question poped up in my mind.
I'm going to start my career in gaining necessary licences in US. However, I found that most of the job post in all countries require "able to work in local". Here it comes. Is that a FAA licence can represent as a ICAO licence and works in all over the world? I heard people hv to change FAA to JAL. So..?
Another stupid one, sounds like everyone can work wherever they want? They dun need a working permit or visa for that? I'm wondering even i get the CPL/IR, how can i work in US as an instructor to build hours?
At the end after all, sounds like I've no way to go, just sit back and wait for the cadet program.....:ugh:

redsnail
8th Jul 2004, 23:32
ICAO is an umbrella organisation.
You can't get a licence that says just "ICAO".
You get an FAA licence from the US (USA is a signatory to ICAO). If you're in Australia, you get a licence issued by CASA. If you're in Europe you'll get a licence issued by a member state of JAA. JAA is a smaller umbrella but still a part of ICAO. (some countries in Europe aren't a part of JAA - it's complicated :D

If you want to fly an N-registered aircraft (ie one registered in the US) you'll need an FAA licence. Note, the aircraft doesn't have to physically be in the US, just registered there.

You need to change your licence to fly different country registrations. N-reg is USA, G- reg is UK (but a part of JAA), EI - reg is Republic of Ireland (But a part of JAA), VH- reg is Australian.

The hardest part often isn't changing your licence over (although FAA or CASA to JAA is a challenge!). It is getting the right to work in that country. US require a green card or other visas. I believe there is a visa that will allow people who have learnt to fly in the US to get a 2 year working visa. Note, you must check that one out.

leoc
9th Jul 2004, 11:01
redsnail,
thanks for your explaination. it's really complicated....sounds like i can work for an airline in europe if they register their plane in us? moreoever, do you know any about china licence? necessary to hv another flight tests for u guys to work in there?

redsnail
9th Jul 2004, 11:20
I know nothing about a Chinese licence. I believe a few Chinese folks train in Australia. China Southern West has a flight school in Perth, Western Australia.

Please don't confuse the licence required to fly "x" aircraft with the right of abode. Just because you may have an FAA licence and the airdraft is N-reg, if the company is registered and based in the UK you'll still have to jump through those immigration hoops.