PDA

View Full Version : PhD or Industrial Experience?

nottelling
8th Jul 2004, 14:56
Having banged my head against a brick wall since graduating in september 03 (BEng Aero Eng). Within the last week I have been offered a job with Rolls Royce (control engineering) and have been told that a top UK Uni want me to do a PhD with them.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience trying to break into the world of commercial flying after completing a doctorate?
I feel that I should be able to gain my fATPL with 4 years so before I'm 26. Would the Dr title be a disadvantage? (Too academic?)

Thanks for any advice

NT

no sponsor
8th Jul 2004, 15:29
It would be confusing, I mean would you say 'This is Dr Captn Notelling' or 'Captn Dr Notelling'

Seriously though, I don't think it makes much difference. At RR you might be earning a bit more than on a doctorate, but then again you may be just another graduate amongst many. The PhD could be an interesting and fun time, and is very well respected, and you could still work at RR afterwards if it's relevant.

No-one really uses Dr. in their name in commercial land anyway - there are plenty in my company, and they seem to keep a low profile - it won't prejudice you.

Judge it by its value to you, rather than what others will think.

1pudding1
8th Jul 2004, 15:35
Im in the final year of my PhD in Aero Engineering now, and certainly hope it wont disadvantage me in any way! :} Im only at the PPL stage of training though, so cant really comment yet if its going to stop me getting any jobs. Ask me in a year or so and I'll be able to give you a better indication. ;) At least I 'should' be able to find a decent job if that elusive flying one doesnt turn up straight away.

mad_jock
8th Jul 2004, 17:09
If you know that you want to become a pilot and you don't want to be an academic go with the RR job.

And if your not on RA scales for doing the Phd you really are looking at 3-4 years on the bread line. And if your not going to use the research qualification afterwards why bother doing that. I would get the industrial experence under your belt. Once you have been through the RR graduate scheme and get your CEng your bullet proof what ever you decide to do next. Where as a Phd in the micro change of CL due fly **** on the leading edge only makes your potential employer market reduce.

MJ

silverknapper
8th Jul 2004, 17:42
RR Job without a doubt. And IMHO if you could find an even better paying job take that. Best of all forget them both and just get on with flying.
Suppose depends on ultimate goal. If you really want to fly take the job with best cash/most flexibilty to get the training underway. If you're not sure if flying is you're goal then forge a career then see what happens. If you don't want to do anything else - borrow the money.
I did aero eng, finished and took a job in retail - better cash than BAe graduate scheme - just to fund flying. Problem was was travelling abroad too much to get any study done so packed the lot in and borrowed the money - couldn't wait any longer.
Yeah people will say have a backup - you have a degree, that'll do. Why waste more time?

Cheers

SK

mad_jock
8th Jul 2004, 22:04
If you want a job that actualy pays decent money quick.

Ditch the degree and become a plumber or a sparky. Train driver pays pretty good as well for 6 months training.

BTW I have a BEng in Mech eng and the most money i have ever earned was carring computers around a bank and turning them on and connecting printers. Engineering is a mugs game with the accountants raping the engineers of there hard work.

MJ

Penworth
9th Jul 2004, 08:58
What Mad Jock says is true about working in engineering. I work for BAE as an engineer and despite having been on the graduate scheme, I find its still impossible to save up quickly for my training. Just now I'm only saving about £250 a month (my house is making me money quicker than my job is :) )

That said, I can't see how you could save any money at all doing a phd, so if flying is your ultimate goal I'd go for the the RR job and do your best to save as much as you can to reduce the amount you might have to borrow.

PW

Evo
9th Jul 2004, 10:06
Do you want to do a PhD?

It's a bl**dy hard slog at times, and it's not a good option to just wander into - plenty of people do just that, and many of them drop out when the going gets really tough (a PhD is far harder than your undergraduate degree, and things feel very bleak at times, especially around the halfway point when it feels like you'll never understand the subject and will never get a thesis done).

A PhD isn't a very useful qualification unless you're a wannabe academic, but two years at Uni with s*d all to show for it is even less useful.

Saying that, I enjoyed mine. Especially in hindsight :)