PDA

View Full Version : Any News On Scampton???

Descend to What Height?!?
8th Jul 2004, 14:06
We were told that the "official" announcement on the "re-activation" of Scampton for the ACSSUs was to be made at 10am this morning.

Alas we have heard nothing, and the advice from our masters at Strike is they have heard nothing either, but we should look on the MoD web site. We have, and nothing there!

Anyone out there heard anything Official? Not rumours, but facts please.

We are one of the ACSSUs due to go in there, and would be nice to know to get the house moving lark sorted out.

PM me if you do not want to post on this forum.

6foottanker
8th Jul 2004, 16:53
Well, they're packing off Tac Comms Wg there soon, so i hope it's going to be reactivated by then. Not that they usually hang about in servicable, open and useable places. And #1 ACC are going from Boulmer too. Sounds like a good reason to properly reopen the place. Shame it's such a pain in the arse getting a taxi out of Lincoln after a quiet night!

Descend to What Height?!?
8th Jul 2004, 17:47
Servicable????? :hmm:
When I was up there t'other week, plan was to demolish and rebuild most of the site. Only a very few habitable buildings on site.

Wonder if they will ever get round to moving the new perimeter so the NAAFI is back inside the fence, or even put a gate in? No of course not, we'll have to drive a mile and a bit out of the main gate, onto the A15, back into what was MQ, buy millk for tea bar, then lob it over the fence into the open window of said tea bar. Never know, may turn into a competitive sport!! :) :ok: ;)

SirToppamHat
9th Jul 2004, 20:16
I have it on good authority that No 1 ACC will be going elsewhere (to a Unit not currently an RAF Station) !

CRC buiding has commenced, with ProjOs already appointed and/or in place.

Ho Hum.

Yeller_Gait
9th Jul 2004, 21:49
Descend to what .....

FYI there is already a gate, and it has been there for a long while, just ask any of the many people who use it on a daily basis.

Your only problem might be trying to drive your car through it as it is more suitable for an individual rather than a car

pr00ne
10th Jul 2004, 02:32
Sir ToppaomHat,

That "elsewhere" wouldn't happen to be just up the road from Scampton would it? Maybe starts with a K, has an "in" in the middle and about to be vacated by brown jobs?
Must be, they're selling off the MQ's!

BEagle
10th Jul 2004, 06:27
Well, it might be tradition. After all, that place was once home to AI-equipped aircraft!

Boulton-Paul Defiant. And no, I didn't fly them!

AdLib
10th Jul 2004, 11:12
Start off as an Air Gunner did you Beags?

Art Field
10th Jul 2004, 11:23
Did my officer training there, sunny January 1957, no 99 course. No 100 was all Iraquis, twas a brave man who went into their block late at night.

SirToppamHat
10th Jul 2004, 12:05
Proone

I can neither confirm nor deny 'K in L' , but say it quickly and it sounds like the ideal spot!

STH

814man
2nd Aug 2004, 10:32
From the local press in North Lincolnshire:

The future of a North Lincolnshire barracks has been secured for the next five years, after the Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced plans to use the former army base as an RAF site.

Kirton Lindsey's Rapier Barracks will provide accommodation for personnel from RAF Scampton, near Lincoln, while the base is modernised. A question mark hung over whether the barracks would be closed after the final departure of the Welsh Gunners on March 31.

But the MoD has now announced an air control centre and a mobile radar unit, comprising 180 personnel, will move to the site by early 2005 from RAF Boulmer in Northumberland.

The information was released by the MoD, following questions from Scunthorpe MP Elliot Morley.

Adam Ingram MP, Minister of State for the Armed Forces, said he expected the barracks to eventually support around 500 RAF personnel including 140 living with their families on the families' quarters estate.

In a letter to Mr Morley, Mr Ingram said: "I have decided Rapier Barracks, at Kirton Lindsey, will be used by the RAF to provide additional accommodation while the infrastructure at Scampton is modernised.

"I am very conscious the future of the barracks has caused a considerable amount of concern throughout your constituency, for a significant amount of time.

"I am consequently extremely pleased to be able to reassure you those facilities at Kirton, which your constituents were most concerned about losing, have been secured for the foreseeable future."

The Rapier Barracks will then be occupied for the next five years after which its use will be looked at again.

Mr Ingram also explained RAF Scampton was being expanded to become the communications hub of the RAF's Air Combat Service Support Units (ACSSU) and the base for Air Surveillance and Control Systems (ASCAS).

Mr Morley said: "This is very good news for Kirton Lindsey. Many people work at the base and that opportunity remains.

"This is also very important news for the schools and in terms of local facilities."

Mr Morley added this meant the case for new investment in Kirton Primary was underlined, with the need to get rid of the old mobile classrooms.

He has written to North Lincolnshire Council and urged it to put Kirton Primary at the top of its list for capital investment.

Coun Margaret Sidell, cabinet member for education, said: "Kirton Primary School and Messingham Primary School are both top of our list for bids for next year.

"It will be a joint bid because of the size of the projects, but it is a priority and we are hoping to get the money when the Government announces its funding plans next year."

gadgetbent
2nd Aug 2004, 19:43
As released a couple of wks ago - 1ACC are to have moved to K in L by spring 05, and plans are rapidly forming for them to move towards the end of this year.

GB

Maple 01
2nd Aug 2004, 20:14
Can we get back to calling it RAF Kirton in Lindsey as God intended?;)