PDA

View Full Version : Push Back

AVIACO
8th Jul 2004, 09:24
Does the tug which connects to the nosewheel just push the aircaft backwards, or does it physically lift the nosewheel off the ground and push the aircraft back on its "hind legs" (or main bogies)?

Just curious - I was sitting in row 1 of a BA737 a few days ago and could physically feel the aircraft lifting. Then when I proceeded onto my connecting flight, also sat in row 1, but on a A330, I did not feel the "lifting" - only reversing.

Thanks.

catchup
8th Jul 2004, 09:32
Both types of push back trucks are in use, the "pusher" and the "lifter" (single-man-pushback)

regards

AVIACO
8th Jul 2004, 09:37
Does this vary according to aircraft size or can both types of pushback be used on all types, or is it just a question of how the particular airport or handling agent is equipped?

Thanks again for your reply above.

catchup
8th Jul 2004, 09:44
Both types can be used to most commercial airliners (A380 I don't know). Most airports have both types, but the future is with the single-man LiftPusher.

regards

ratarsedagain
8th Jul 2004, 09:45
AVIACO,
The 'towbarless' (lifting) tugs can handle 747 size aircraft no problem (assuming you have the right size tug).
Not all airports have them, so yes, it depends on what equipment the airport/handling agent has.
Cheers

Flip Flop Flyer
8th Jul 2004, 10:17
And the nose lifters are rather more expensive than a "classic" push-back tractor. Heard somewhere that a Douglas nose lifter capable of handling anything up to 747s are around 2.5 Million Euro's a piece. Oh, and a 747 capable Douglas is too big to fit under the fuselage of MD80/737 types, so it's not really a case of "one size fits all".

The "classics" will be with us for a long time yet.

PS
A nose lifter still needs a guy on the headset during push and start. However, subject to company policy a nose lifter may position aircraft from A to B without the presence of a guy in the cockpit. Or at least, that's what the glossy brochure says. I'm left wondering how the parking brake will be set/released without someone in the cockpit, but that's a different story.

catchup
8th Jul 2004, 10:19
Parking brake set? Just a matter of pushback power:D

BOAC
8th Jul 2004, 10:54
Aviaco - you may come across another type (in Brussels certainly) known as the 'powerpush' which locks itself lovingly around one or other main gear wheels and is remotely controlled on a lead by an operator who walks back with it as the a/c is pushed back. The aircraft taxies away from the 'tractor' which is then taken for a walk back home.

PAXboy
8th Jul 2004, 13:37
The single-man Lift + Push have caused some problems. There have been threads in PPRuNe of these moving a/c from A to B without a person in the 'top cab'. Which is where the money saving comes in. Unless the person in the 'lower cab' fails to leave enough distance and bumps his a/c into another a/c. :uhoh:

In Africa and other thirdl world countries, expect the classic Push only truck to be around for a VERY long time. Labour in those countries is cheap. :D

AVIACO
9th Jul 2004, 10:08
Thank you everyone.

BOAC - I have seen the very thing many years ago in Brussells of all places. I always wondered (doh!) how the driver would fit under`the aircraft without banging his head and alway thought that it would be hell of a noisy and dangerous for someone to be under a moving aeroplane!! How stupid am I?

However, your post certainly clarifies things. Interesting, referring to the Brussels thingies, I only ever saw them using it on a Boeing 737. I never`saw it used on an Airbus or a Bae 146 / Avro RJ, which were the predominant types using the terminal that I used to fly from.

Is this underneath tug not suited to other types and only B737, or was I just witnessing this out of coincidence.

MANy thanks to all of you again. Very enlightening.

ElNino
11th Jul 2004, 08:53
AVIACO

Air France use the "powerpush" remote control things extensively on the A320/1 etc at CDG.