PDA

View Full Version : Air North

Aussie
8th Jul 2004, 02:30
Anyone fly for Air North? Was just curious to what theyre like as a company to fly for? What kind of hours do you need to be competetive and whats the pay like? Life in Darwin? Overnights?

Cheers

T3000
8th Jul 2004, 05:48
Check website for requirements. Overnights in Kunnunurra and Groote. Great company to work for. Professional working environment. Well maintained aircraft. Beats the GA B@#$#it. Living in Darwin sensational.:O

Seaeagle109
9th Jul 2004, 01:45
I thought that they also overnighted in WRRR(YPDN-WPDL-WRRR then return the next day); met some of their crew there on an overnight back in March,or don't they do that anymore.

T3000
9th Jul 2004, 03:38
Contract ran out in April. No more WRRR overnights:{ Was great sipping on Bintang's on the beach watching the sunset. Maybe again some day:O

GoNorth
9th Jul 2004, 05:52
Anyone know what the ratio is for FO employment - Qantas cadets verses non cadets?

hawkeye007
9th Jul 2004, 11:14
Following the introduction of a GA industry experience requirement QF cadets seem to be going here, there & everywhere.....as per previous forums it's been established that previous cadet years have gone to operators such as Skippers,
Airnorth .... where are they going to go next? can these operators absorb further cadet intakes....!!!
anybody heard anything
Airnorth

DUXNUTZ
9th Jul 2004, 16:25
Mate i think you will find that the list of operators shunning GA experienced guys/gals for qaintass cadets now totals:

* AirNorth
* Skippers
* Pearl Aviation

May be more that i don't know about, but its certainly growing...

Blown Seal
10th Jul 2004, 02:23
Add O'Connor's to the list.

Willie Nelson
12th Jul 2004, 00:47
Don't know if all this cadet industry experience is such a bad thing really. Only time will tell how it all works out.

The way I see it is that to leave a piston twin IFR job getting paid anywhere from 28k to 45k a year and then spend up to two years as a FO for around the same money in a regional is fairly slow progression.

My understanding of the cadet program is that they are not there to get command experience, nor do they meet the requirements, either regulatory or company standard, for command. While ultimately, it does take jobs from the traditional piston to regional path, the guys that do come from piston jobs to the regionals mayl progress sooner rather than later. Perhaps it all comes down to how extensive the program becomes and how many FO positions become simply unavailable to us GA guys.

Obviously, if it gets to a point where operators such as Pearl, Skippers and O'Connors are hiring cadets for all the FO positions and experienced captains only, then that cannot be good for those of us who have done the hard yards in the bush, puting off years of the "good life" in the hope of getting a bit of break.

Then again, it wasn't all bad up North..............I do miss those health workers :ok:

throttle junkie
12th Jul 2004, 12:05
i am sure qantas have sat down with the operators and figured out a system that will allow both cadets and 'bush' pilots to enter into F/O slots.
i doubt very much that qantas or these operators will every only take cadets and only allow 'experienced captains'.
qantas relies on the bush pilot as such for its direct entry scheme, and wouldnt want to piss us off. the cadet ship is only a small part of the recruiting processanyway.
i think you'll find that there will never be enough cadets to fill all the GA positions available.
doesnt matter how you look at it qantas will always need pilots from GA positions and i wonder how long the cadetship will last?? will they go to only direct entry??? no one knows whats round the corner, maybe another industry slump.
so we dont need to get too worried just yet.
i think the cadets are a good thing, although they do take up valuable, hard to find jobs, it is qantas way of trying to give direct entry more of a go. i would prefer cadets to fly jumbos with 2 yrs industry experience instead of 200hr CPLs like before.

anyway just my 2 cents worth

Aussie
13th Jul 2004, 02:40
Back to Air North... anyone actually fly for them?
ANy more info? cheers

Aussie

T3000
13th Jul 2004, 10:00
What info do you require Aussie?:D

drshmoo
15th Jul 2004, 09:00
Throttle Junkie, not disagreeing with you but why do think this
i think the cadets are a good thing

throttle junkie
16th Jul 2004, 06:28
i dont feel that they cause such a big problem as everyone makes out. i wish i had made it instead of doing the hard yards. companies all around the world not just aviation ones offer cadetships so why shouldnt qantas. i believe if done correctly these cadetships should highlighted the people who are naturally gifted or have a 'knack' for it.
now i am not saying qantas cadet scheme is perfect but you can never implmented a 100% perfect system, it is such a subjective task. whether qantas do it the right way or not???
but i feel that those who makes cadets, good on them. those who dont unlucky but not the end of the world if you really love flying and thats what u want to do then it shouldnt matter (but money and greed are very strong)
to put it bluntly i believe the cadets are a good thing and in the big picture they are only a small percentage of the intake.

but this is only my opinion yours may differ
interested to hear your opinion drshmoo

grrowler
16th Jul 2004, 08:52
and wouldnt want to piss us off HAHAHAHA
Why? What's gonna happen if they do?