PDA

View Full Version : World Hall of Shame

blaireau
7th Jul 2004, 12:03
Perhaps not exclusively suitable to the Mil thread other than the first two submissions, but remember, you read it here first!

1. French military prowess and loyalty to allies.
2. Gifted Italian generals. (Stand fast Julius Caesar and Marcus Aurelius)
3. Greek food.
4. English cricket.
5. German humour.

There must be many others...

airborne_artist
7th Jul 2004, 12:15
4. English cricket.

Is there a sport we are good at, apart from being rude about Johnny Foreigner?

Jackonicko
7th Jul 2004, 12:34
Is there a sport we're consistently 'best in the world' at? Probably not.

Is there a sport we're good at?

Rugby World Cup holders, Football World Cup 1966, Euro 2004 quarter finalists, losing to the eventual finalists. Jenson Button. Tim Henman. etc. etc.

empty pockets
7th Jul 2004, 13:48
britain also has the new world quiz champion according to the times. i think we also have the world tiddywinks champ, and the champion bog snorkler, so its not all bad!

ppf
7th Jul 2004, 14:00
We must have the world record for the moaning bus que!?

ppf ;)

airborne_artist
7th Jul 2004, 14:01
Rugby World Cup holders, Football World Cup 1966, Euro 2004 quarter finalists, losing to the eventual finalists. Jenson Button. Tim Henman. etc. etc.

Rugby World Cup holders - but got p*ssed on down under recently - not the sign of a great team

Euro 2004 quarter finalists, losing to the eventual finalists, who were then beaten by the 50-1 outsiders - so that doesn't tell us too much to be proud of.

Jensen Button - a good bloke, and GB does provide much of the engineering skills for F1, so 7.5/10 for this one.

Tim Henman - never won a Grand Slam semi-final.

Football World Cup 1966 -you're having a laugh - surely? Anyone trotting that one out must be a troll!

Echo 5
7th Jul 2004, 14:25
Jacko,

Come on mate......."Rugby World Cup holders"

They won by virtue of a (some would say Jammy) drop kick in extra time with no time left for the opposition to respond.Their previous wins against the Aussies weren't exactly convincing either.
Their latest venture into the Southern Hemisphere was a total disaster. Best forgotten methinks

Roll on the 6 Nations 2005

Rgds

E5

steamchicken
7th Jul 2004, 14:30
In what sport do you get more time to respond if the other side score? If you win you're a winner. Not a problem for those of the Scottish persuasion..

Jackonicko
7th Jul 2004, 14:32
Not the best, perhaps not even great, just good enough not to have to pander to this silly 'England is crap at all sports' nonsense.

Rugby. Yes, beaten fair and square, but still won when it counted. Clearly one of the top three teams in the World.

Footy. Premier league acknowledged for excellence, national side in last eight in Europe, and probably capable of top four. Beat Germany 5:1 in recent memory. 5:1. And while Greece were the outsiders they beat France and Portugal. While our defeats by those teams were unlucky, at best.

Tennis. Henman is top ten in the World, as shown on clay in Paris and at Wimbers.

F1: Ferrari's success is largely down to Russ Prawn (a Brit). Most of the top teams are Brit based or rely on Brit engineering.

And there are a host of other sports where England excels, or where there are English participants at the top or near the top of the tree. Boxing. Marathon and distance running. Triple Jump. Javelin. Rowing. Sailing. Gliding. etc.

Zuma Zuma
7th Jul 2004, 14:57
Echo 5

Winning a World Cup takes more than just beating one team in the final! We had to get there first!

Did you really think the World Cup winning squad of 2003 was going to stay on for another 4 years to try and win it again? Surely you're not that short sighted?! Clive Woodward is doing exactly the right thing by bringing countless new players into the international arena and giving them a good 4 years of experience before attempting the next one...remember 'great teams aren't great all the time, they're great when they need to be'. You can't just snap your fingers and overnight have a pretty much brand new squad that is as successful as the old one!

Everyone stop being so pessimistic and lets see some patriotism! Not the 'i'm an idiot with a flag on my car' type either!

Echo 5
7th Jul 2004, 14:58
steamchicken,

"Not a problem for those of the Scottish persuasion."

Touche old boy !!

The point that I was tying to make, albeit badly, was that England may well be Rugby World Champions but they by no stretch of the imagination won convincingly. I'll shut up now.

Rgds

E5.:O

Jackonicko
7th Jul 2004, 16:58
" England may well be Rugby World Champions but they by no stretch of the imagination won convincingly."

Perhaps not. But Australia's performance (which involved losing on their home turf, let's face it) was hardly any more 'convincing'. By definition, the team that wins the trophy is more convincing than the team that loses. Moreover when the whingeing moaning b@$t@rds harped on and on and on about tries, and could then only score one that was a tactical move (kick it straight to a bloke already within gobbing distance of the line) rather than a traditional. 'proper', run in try, criticism should perhaps be taken with a pinch of salt. Especially after all the 'keep the English team awake all night' and media dirty tricks which Australia resorted to.

I don't want to 'dis' Australia as a Rugby nation. Over the last few years Australia has been a better team. But that doesn't make England's Rugby team any less credit worthy, and it certainly doesn't make them 'crap'.

We clearly need to add:

6: The Aussie ability to lose with good grace, and without whingeing......

Blakey875
7th Jul 2004, 17:09
Add

7: British Aerospace always delivering on time and on budget!!

Bullet Tooth Tony
7th Jul 2004, 17:19
I can't believe that individuals are critisising the way in which England won the world cup. They won, that's all that counts.

Greece were'nt the most attractive team in Euro 04, but they won.

I would quite happily swap the next three Six Nations trophies and all the friendly games between now and 2007 if it meant winning that World Cup too.

Ask the Ozzies and the Kiwis if they would swap the recent comprehensive and impressive victories over England for a boreing World Cup win last summer and I know what they will say.

Credit where it's due.

the_cyclone
7th Jul 2004, 18:18
Cricket One day series aside, didn't we just very recently beat NZ and the WI in 5 day test series?

Rugby - been a bit ****e this year but were unbeaten down under for the last four years! When you win the World cup there's only one place to go!

It's a great English ability to constantly criticise sport and see the negatives without ever appreciating our wins.

Trumpet_trousers
7th Jul 2004, 18:32
Quote:

Ferrari's success is largely down to Russ Prawn

......something fishy there, methinks......

(not to be confused with Ross Brawn, of course....):ok:

Werty
7th Jul 2004, 18:35
I read somewhere that Britain is the reigning Olympic Champion at Tug-o-War. We won it in 1920 and it hasn't been featured in the games since. That's something to celebrate eh?:ok:

Jackonicko
7th Jul 2004, 18:59
Well noticed, T Trousers. Are we American?

I neglected to mention Barney Ecclescake in an F1 context, too. And Mick Moley. And Maclaren's Dafyd Pilchard.

Trumpet_trousers
7th Jul 2004, 19:05
Quote:

Are we American?

No, we most certainly are not!!

country calls
7th Jul 2004, 23:19
I would just like to point out that the world champions at extreme ironing, bog snorkelling and elephant polo, are all British. Cheez it makes me proud.

And for all my southern hemisphere chums who witter on about a drop goal winning a match, and how it shouldn't be allowed; I will agree with you. BUT, only if you were saying the same thing when Janni DeBeer drop goaled England out of the RWC. If you weren't persuaded then, keep quiet now!

TheNightOwl
8th Jul 2004, 00:03
Jacko, the Aussies CAN lose with grace and without whinging, with the exception of the wind-up merchants and pillocks who post here. As a Scot resident in Oz for over 20 years, and an avid fan of the English rugby style, let me tell you that the English team were applauded and feted in YMML by the REAL fans, i.e. those who got off their arses and went to watch the game. All agreed it was a spectacle to behold, and one of the finest of its type ever witnessed. It was classic rugby in many ways, by both teams, but won by the team with the ability to realise that the team with the points on the board at the final whistle is the winner - not the team trying, persistently, for the most spectacular try-and-conversion.
Stop knocking the Poms, all of you, all you achieve is the denigration of one of the most exciting games of rugby I have ever seen. England were well and truly thumped by the Aussies a couple of weeks ago, and they deserved to be, but it was NOT simply because Jonny was absent, the team played abysmally! End of story!

Also end of rant,

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl.:ok:

reynoldsno1
8th Jul 2004, 03:20
Well said, TNO. and actually, I rather like Greek food .....

Flip Flop Flyer
8th Jul 2004, 10:26
Ahh, England - the land of BMWs.....

(Bithching, Moaning, Whinging)

Jacko -

I suppose you don't think that a certain German with the initials MS has nothing to do with it, just as he had nothing to do with Benetton when they took the drivers WC?

Jackonicko
8th Jul 2004, 11:30
Of course Schumey had plenty to do with Ferrari's success. I don't have any problem with celebrating the fact that Germany presently has the world's best racing driver, that Greece has Europe's most successful soccer team, nor with admitting that English cricket is lamentably poor and that our rugby and football teams are under-performing. But no complaints. That's all fine.

Not a whinge or moan in sight.

Funny that Aussies always accuse us of being 'whingeing poms' when so many of them are incapable of doing anything but whineing whenever any of their teams or sportsmen are anything other than victorious, and are utterly incapable of giving anyone else any credit. Strewth, sport, it's enough to make you spew!

What's the difference between an Aussie and a jet engine, again?

Zuma Zuma
8th Jul 2004, 12:08
Remember this little display of taking defeat graciously?!

"The crowning achievement of self-styled sports fanatic and Australian Prime Minister John Howard in 2003 came at the final of the Rugby World Cup in November. After the Wallabies lost an exhilarating game on an extra-time field goal, JH looked like he was going to burst into tears as he handed out the winners' medals to a seemingly endless line of England players and staff.

A surly-faced JH put on an extraordinary display for a worldwide TV audience as he grumpily hurled medals over English players' heads, occasionally remembering that he should shake hands. He even spoke to one or two of them towards the end. And then he handed the Webb Ellis Trophy to England captain Martin Johnson as hurriedly as possible, disappearing into the background as his pre-ordained photo moment with Wallabies captain George Gregan became a wasted dream."

Flip Flop Flyer
8th Jul 2004, 12:08
I trust you're not accusing me of being an antipodean mate ;) Nice people, the OZ mates, just couldn't eat a whole one.

nickdearden
8th Jul 2004, 17:08
just wanted to add...if you watch the game against Australia, England outplayed the aussie's for most of the game!

IMHO the score does not reflect the balance of the game!

Jackonicko
8th Jul 2004, 18:02
Come on chaps! Where's your British sympathy for the underdog? ;) They might be whingeing w@nkers, but they did come second..... :{

Zoom
8th Jul 2004, 22:29
Coe, Ovett, Cram, Bruno (yes!), Ratcliffe, Redgrave, Pinsent, Ainslie, Christie, Owen, Johnson, Wilkinson, Sanderson, Goodhew, Gunnell, Davis, Keely, Hickman, Mansell, Lewis...........just a few who have topped the world. You'll be able to add Rooney and Button to the list soon. So we may be the best in the so-called major sports only occasionally but we do have many very talented sportsmen and sportswomen in countless sports who are always bringing back trophies and world records. Perhaps they are spread too thinly across too many sports, and maybe we should put all of them into a football academy and win the World Cup every 4 years. But I prefer it the way it is. I would switch off totally if I thought that our or anyone else's hero/team was always going to win. Sport would just lose its appeal for me.

Like This - Do That
9th Jul 2004, 06:53
Dear Old Nickdearden

Allow me to 'just add' .... 51-15 won on only 27% of the possession. As Jacko & Bullet Tooth Tony have mentioned in earlier posts, if you've won, you've won!

Jacko as a loaf thieving, whining, foul mouthed, jumbuck stowing, criminal, Dame Edna loving, suspected republican, [feel free to keep piling on the insults....] Australian born and ill-bred (!) I will stand on top of the highest peak and acclaim the virtues of the 2003 WORLD CHAMPION English Rugby team till I'm blue in the face. Frankly, I think most other 'Strayans will too. That drop goal was the defining sporting moment of the year for mine.

As for JH and his sour puss grumpy medal ceremony, I couldn't agree more. The official excuse (they always have one, haven't they?) was that the television schedule had been eaten into as a result of extra time, thus had to hurry that bit. You'll have noticed that the Wallabies runners up medals were also abruptly thrust on their chests by the Irishman (names eludes me...) who was (is?) IRB Chairman.

OK, whinge ;) over now.

Carry on men ....

Zoom
9th Jul 2004, 08:11
Despite my earlier post, here is one reason why we are not doing as well as we could at sport. At a local school's sports day, events were run in heats with only 3 competitors each per heat and no finals, so that everyone would 'podium' and nobody would be seen to be losing!

nickdearden
9th Jul 2004, 09:27
my bad...I was refering to the RWC final

we did indeed get pissed all over in our recent tour...but at the end of the day we were good when it mattered

reynoldsno1
12th Jul 2004, 21:36
just a few who have topped the world
exactly... just a few - out of how many, nearly 60,000,000? Who the hell is Rooney, I thought he was an American actor?....

Zoom
18th Jul 2004, 22:37
Good point, reynolds, I hadn't though of it that way - more bods equals more winners. So how about running through a list of famous sportspersons or winning teams from, say, China (pop 1,300,000,000) or India (pop 1,040,000,000)?

allan907
19th Jul 2004, 02:47
...or Australia - pop 20,000,000 (just)

Peeking Duck
19th Jul 2004, 11:20
Still think we have the Best Airforce in the world in The RAF, Navy and Army, although largely reduced in size and support.

USA very good at friendly fire, Russians great pilots meger resource, the rest we trained anyway. ( Apart from the French who are very good at selling arms to our foe)

ARXW
19th Jul 2004, 11:21
What's this Blaireau dude talking about? Greek food in the Hall
of shame?:eek: :eek:

If you are Portuguese I can understand you are still a little upset right now..if you are English well that must be your attempt at humour;) :D

I think you'll agree that Spanish food is pretty top notch and it is refreshing to see that even though they actually have alternative specialties (to us Greeks) their food can still about as good as ours (tried it). Now I don't think Portuguese food could be that much better and I won't even comment on English food..;)

Still think we have the Best Airforce in the world in The RAF, Navy and Army, although largely reduced in size and support.

Careful there...That AF of a country of the very eastern Med, might take objection to this too (as might a couple more AFs..), after 700 a2a kills and X no. of wars the last 50 years...That might be a loads of BS but apparently they trounced both the USN and the mighty Luftwaffe fairly recently by some incredible ratios too...

Peeking Duck
19th Jul 2004, 11:39
QUOTE: Careful there...That AF of a country of the very eastern Med, might take objection to this too

Since that Mid East AF gave all their A/C to a Neighbour 12 years ago it actually doesn't exist; and as to upsetting other AF's, not really bothered.

I stand by my original posting;

"We do have the best AF in the world"

ARXW
19th Jul 2004, 15:37
Duck,

By all accounts a fine professional force (the RAF/RN etc) no doubt... shame for the hardware;) Situation should change with the Typhoon though...

Btw I was talking about the Israelis, what were you thinking? I don't suppose Saddam's AF have been regularly practising against their USN and German colleagues (except with live ammo that is ;))a few years ago or am I missing something?

Peeking Duck
19th Jul 2004, 19:21
Always considered Israelies as a wing of the USAirforce anyway!!! but I still would bet on our boys in a head to head.