PDA

View Full Version : The end of B737-200HK operations in Europe

Thunderball 2
7th Jul 2004, 09:54
I've come across a number of categorical, sweeping assertions in this Forum to the effect that "all B737-200s must be phased-out across Europe by the end of March 2005".

Who says so, folks? Certainly not the Noise Certification people at the CAA - they've recently told me that there is no EU legislation in place or in drafting that would mandate the grounding of hush-kitted Stage III aircraft in the EU. There was an EC Directive that would have killed them on March 31st 2002, but that was overturned by US pressure. In its place individual airports were given the legal means to promolgate a local ban on "marginally compliant Stage III aircraft" if they could prove that the local environmental impact of the operation of these aircraft (which would include MD80s?) was an issue for them. But no-one I've spoken to in the airport operator community is that interested - there are so few "offending" aircraft around.

So "if any person knows of any just cause why B737-200s should not fly on into the future in the UK let them speak now, or forever hold their peace" (or should that be piece?!). Perhaps someone from European would like to comment?

[That is setting-aside the introduction of Stage IV of course]

Boss Raptor
7th Jul 2004, 10:40
Your investigation is correct - the kill all EU directive was squashed and S3 HK'ed acft can continue to fly in Europe until they fall apart and/or fall foul of the emissions rules later this decade possibly (but expect grandad/phase out type extensions) - post 2006 certain airports can introduce their own phase out rules for 'marginally compliant S3 acft', but these airports are basically the larger hub airports see the directive for full qualification

The revised/new directive/direction is on the EU site and is EU 2002/30/EC 26 March 2002 aka 32002L0030 - the kill all directive was/is EU 925/1999 and is repealed in the later directive (Article 15 to be precise)

In the case of the MD80 marginally compliant S3 the new S4 hushkit takes it well within new (eventual) limits :ok:

Added:

http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexplus!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=en&numdoc=32002L0030

HZ123
7th Jul 2004, 15:09
Would finance and costs not be a key issue in the continued use of this mark. The UK only has Palmair and EAL operating them at present. Recently two Air Malta 200s have been returned to Southend at closure of there lease and have been resprayed white and been given US reg. I was surprized that there is still a market for 200's unless these a/c will be parked up until they rot.

Thunderball 2
7th Jul 2004, 17:44
Thanks, Boss.

HZ123 - Setting aside noise/emissions issues, it's not surprising that there's a market for B737-200s in many parts of the world. JT8Ds are down to pin-money (compared to ten years ago), people like Romaero might D Check the aircraft for a genuinely modest sum, and the basic structure is lasting fairly well. The maintenance history is everything, I guess - I've seen mid-70s aircraft that have received plenty of TLC in far better shape than some of the last aircraft off the line ten years later.

I know of one US lessor of the more "vintage" types that regards B737-200s as still the hottest property of their generation. They'll buy as many decent aircraft as they're offered at prevailing prices.

Boss Raptor
7th Jul 2004, 18:25
As above - the increased mx. labour burden and .5 tonne more fuel burn than a B737-300/500 is offset by the minimal capital cost and minimal outlay needed for engines and spares etc.

To find a good late manufacture B737-200 is extremely difficult at the moment...

Those Air Malta aircraft wont shift as long as the owners want about 3 times the market value for them ;)

Lashamcat
8th Jul 2004, 18:14
I think you will find that both the ex Air Malta B737-200 have already left Southend and are now operating/about to operate out of Ecuador with a company called Aerogal (Aerolineas Galapagos).