PDA

View Full Version : Belfast City Airport rejects later opening

eastern wiseguy
7th Jul 2004, 08:37
bbc report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3872371.stm)

The BBC in Northern Ireland are reporting this morning that plans which BHD had for later flights(beyond the current 2130 curfew) have been shelved.Surprising to many will be the news that according to "BBC Northern Ireland Business Editor James Kerr said: "While the main airline concerned, BMI, would quite like a later flight, it has not joined the lobby in favour." ".So back to the 24 hours facilities up the road then?
:E

keepitlit
7th Jul 2004, 08:44
Dont think so,
Still about 7 years of the current contract to run,besides we like early finishes

rgds K.I.L.:O

ALLMCC
7th Jul 2004, 08:58
A disappointing development and one which will, no doubt, be greeted with much gloating and celebration in certain quarters.

The news report suggests that BHD management have bowed to pressure from local residents. A report on yesterday evenings BBC Newsline also stated that, of the residents interviewed, only 25% actually stated that late noise disturbed their sleep - hardly a resounding opposition! By default this would indicate that the vast majority of residents are indifferent!

However, reading between the lines, it is indeed quite clear and regrettable that BHD has had to succumb to bully boy tactics by other agencies (who haven't the guts to identify themselves) and who have no qualms in using whatever means they have at their disposal to stifle growth at BHD. BMIs reluctance to become involved was also surprising all the more so considering that they have invested so heavily in facilities at BHD. Presumably they did not wish to become involved in any direct confrontation with objectors including local political representatives who displayed a totally intransigent attitude.

It is encouraging however that BHD management appear to be undeterred and will be exploring other avenues to sustain continued growth - this will include seeking to have the ridiculous annual passenger number cap lifted - the sooner this outdated and totally unjustified restriction is lifted the better!

BELHold
7th Jul 2004, 16:10
Why not introduce a late LHR-BFS-LHR service using an ERJ or if capacity demands the A319.

EGAC_Ramper
7th Jul 2004, 17:16
Well I'd certainly go along the lines that BHD has rather been forced to shelve plans rather than they have chosen too.BMI bring a lot of money to BHD and certainly not just BMI but FlyBE also wanted later openings.Rumours were around for flights to Spain using the nightstopping 146's then returning early morning to then do their scheduled BHX/LGW routes.
Hopefully though their will be expansion in routes and Airlines operating out of EGAC.Plans are afoot for the baggage sort hall to be made multi-level and 2 extra stands to be created past stand 10,these would be stands 11+12 surprisingly.:O

We'll see what the future holds.

Standard Noise
7th Jul 2004, 17:57
Sir Reg Empeyhead (wasn't he supposed to be the minister for trade and industry at one point?!)and that rabble at Kinnegar should be bulldozed into the lough. Does beg the question why they don't sell up and move from the area, after all, the close proximity of BCA doesn't seem to have had an effect on property prices in the area.
The locals were against BMI moving in from the start, no sooner had the LHR run started than the phones were ringing each night with differing tales of woe, "that big plane knocked the china off my sideboard/ can't get the kids to sleep because of the noise/ we can't have a quiet anti-airport meeting in the pub cos of the noisy planes." You know the sort of cr@p.
Then every so often there'd be a call in the morning complaining about the aircraft noise at 3 in the morning, "breaking the curfew, i'll complain to my MP you know!"

Oi, Ambrose, you're too soft -
Sod the locals, open her up late!

eastern wiseguy
7th Jul 2004, 17:59
bully boy tactics by other agencies (who haven't the guts to identify themselves) and who have no qualms in using whatever means they have at their disposal to stifle growth at BHD.

awwww go on then ...name names!..

Clue for new readers ...re-arrange a well known low fares airline
and or a 24 hour airport in Northern Ireland to help find Allmccs' culprits...:hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

with alacrity
8th Jul 2004, 17:07
I have posted something similar to this in the past. It is old (1994) but may give some readers an insight into this dilema.

In September 1993 Belfast City Airport (BCA) applied to the DoE(NI) for planning permission to expand the terminal by about 2,500 square metres. Planning permission was granted in April 1994 subject to BCA and the then was Shorts entering into a planning agreement with the DoE(NI). The planning agreement included the following restrictions:

(a) Programmed flights would only be permitted to use the airport between 6.30 am and 9.30 pm.

(b) BCA would be required to limit the total number of take-offs and landings to 38,000 in any 12 month period.

(c) BCA would be required not to permit operators using the airport to offer for sale more than 1.5 million seats on scheduled flights from the airport in any period of 12 months.

(d) The DoE(NI) also considered that BCA was also bound by a voluntary commitment to restrict the number of passengers to 1.5 million a year and any increase above this level would require planning permission.

There is your history lesson for today folks.

ALLMCC, I used your favourite airport for the very first time last week to see the dreaded sister-in-law in Cork.
Very impressed with the new terminal (very airy) and the resurfaced runway looks good as well.

Personally speaking I would like to see as many aircraft as possible into both of the Belfast TMA airports as it benefits me in my occupation.:suspect:

Cheers WA.

ALLMCC
9th Jul 2004, 09:17
Eastern Wiseguy

Quote in Belfast Newsletter on 24/02/04 from Brian Ambrose on his appointment as CE at BHD.

"If there is a competitor under any guise, we will be very aggresive. We will not allow a competitor to stunt the growth of this airport for their own benefit"

His words not mine - if you require clarification, suggest you write to Mr Ambrose - clue: BFS/Orange tail alliance complain to certain influential individuals that BHD is pinching 2m passengers a year off them - said individual/s get fed up listening to them and lean on other influential individuals who in turn whinge & moan like old women to anyone who'll listen under the guise of noise concerns - need I go on?

Standard Noise - excellent post!

Ramper - ditto!

Scottie
9th Jul 2004, 10:10
Eastern Wiseguy

Quote in Belfast Newsletter on 24/02/04 from Brian Ambrose on his appointment as CE at BHD.

"If there is a competitor under any guise, we will be very aggresive. We will not allow a competitor to stunt the growth of this airport for their own benefit"

His words not mine - if you require clarification, suggest you write to Mr Ambrose - clue: BFS/Orange tail alliance complain to David Burnside UUP that BHD is pinching 2m passengers a year of them - Burnside gets fed up listening to them and leans on Mssrs Empey & Rodgers UUP who in turn whinge & moan like old women to anyone who'll listen etc etc - need I go on?

The expression "dirty tricks" takes on a new meaning!

Standard Noise - excellent post!

Ramper - ditto!

ALLMCC - that's quite an accusation :} I trust you have evidence to back this up :E

ALLMCC
9th Jul 2004, 10:58
Scottie

See from your profile you're a B737 ATPL - now I wonder which airline hmm! - in any event, I stand by my comments (as if evidence was really needed!)

I'll be happy to stand corrected if anyone would like to come forward with a categoric denial??

eastern wiseguy
9th Jul 2004, 12:27
Blimey Allmcc .....you like sailing close to the wind!!!.I notice Scottie had the good sense to cut and paste your original posting.....now refresh my memory is it LIBEL when it is written down ...or is that SLANDER?...always seem to mix those up ....accusing our hard working politicos of ..well you can fill in the blank.

Tower Ranger
9th Jul 2004, 14:19
Oh well, no late night opening. Great!
No more disruption to my shifts and guaranteed overtime for the forseable future as we`ll still be there till midnight for delays. The thing I find dissapointing is the attitude of the local politicians. So keen to make the right noise (or any noise) that they continually contradict themselves.
On one hand they are battering the gates down at Bombardier and Harland & Wolf when they announce their latest round of job cuts demanding to know why and promising the local electorate they will do everything in their powers to safeguard jobs in East Belfast.
Now what if in a worst case scenario Midland were to say "Bxxxox to this lets get back to the Countryside" , Flybe decided the competition was a bit hot on some of their routes and BA stopped the Manch route what would happen? Is it not concievable that the Emptyone and his cronies(Rodgers, is that not an adjective?) would then be at our gates with one eye on votes pleading for the hours to be looked at so as to create a level playing field and safeguard jobs at the City?
As for the Local Concerned Comunity, their propensity to complain appears to be directly proportional to the price of their houses and inversely proportional to the amount of work they do.

SN - good to see you back in style
Scottie - So you don`t believe DB could be anti-City. What was it he used to work at?
Eastern - Surely your not accusing our politicians of working hard!! I hope you can substantiate such an outrageous claim!!

eastern wiseguy
9th Jul 2004, 17:42
Tower....our politicians working hard? ...well of course they do ....(nose grows an inch!!!):ok: :ok:

Standard Noise
10th Jul 2004, 14:32
What do the politicians actually do all day (assuming that they do something other than complain about BCA on behalf of their constituents) now that Stormy-mont is shut?

I do remember the Hermon woman appearing in the VCR one day, prior to BCA joining the Spanish brethren, along with other whingers, moaning about the airport. This, despite the fact that quite a few of those employed both directly and indirectly at BCA being her constituents, not to mention the amount of pax who lived in North Down. Just another non descript politico looking for a passing bandwagon to justify the salary!!

As for "The Shareholders" as we reverentially call them in Brizzel, I can't see that they will be too happy with someone as weak willed as Ambrose running the place for too long. If you can't increase business, then the only way to up the profits is to scr3w the staff over. OOPS! That'll give them an idea or two. Hope you've got a good union rep, TR!

ALLMCC - You can take the boy out of the city and all that.

eastern wiseguy
10th Jul 2004, 14:46
From the ATC forum Standard Noise wrote

how many places are there in our game where you can go to work and read 5 or 6 papers on a Sunday morning and pack down an Ulster fry fit for two without being bothered by pilots

almost as busy as our politicians then??:ok: :ok::D :D

Standard Noise
10th Jul 2004, 21:38
Problem is Eastern, now I'm doing three times the work for the same money and I don't get the fry on a Sunday morning!:{

ALLMCC
21st Jul 2004, 16:08
The biggest mistake BCA management made was to tell anyone about the later opening hours! They should have done like TUI have done at Coventry - they seem to have got away with it!

mysecretsmile
15th Feb 2005, 08:59
I think this issues in this story are going to run and run.

It appears clear that the management at BFS are going to do their best to ensure that BHD don't get their way and have their passenger cap lifted.

ALLMCC
15th Feb 2005, 09:18
According to yesterday's press, BFS are seeking leave to apply for a judicial review of BHD's application to have their passenger cap lifted - seems that, having exhausted every other avenue to kill off competition from BHD, BFS are now showing their true colours!

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/business_telegraph/story.jsp?story=611079

Is this heavy handed attitude a wise move? - it will almost certainly trigger the attentions of the Competition Commission and all that entails!