PDA

View Full Version : Cost per passenger per mile

Airline7322
6th Jul 2004, 22:21
What do airlines and aircraft designers factor in when they determine the cost per passenger per mile for a particular aircraft? Is it just gasoline, or is there more to it? I know the EMB 190 has a cost per passenger per mile (I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what the acrynomn is) is a lowely .07 per mile.

mutt
7th Jul 2004, 05:09
is a lowely .07 per mile Doubt that you will find that to be a fixed value.
For example the EMB190 can have 86 seats and be flown by pilots on a commuter airline payscale. However, we might decide that we want the aircraft in a two class config with more seat pitch, so we can only install 76 seats, our pilots are also on a major airline payscale.
In either case the aircraft needs X fuel to fly from A-B, but the economics are completly different for two airlines.

Mutt.

trainer too 2
7th Jul 2004, 08:54
Is it just gasoline

Hope not! Maybe kerosine.

lesson one: don't believe any manufacturer they will use the optimum route / payload to get to that figure

Things that make up the price:

crew cost
handling cost
overflight cost
landing cost
airframe cost per cycle
airframe cost per hour

cheers

brabazon
7th Jul 2004, 13:03
If you mean Direct Operating Cost then you are looking at:

Ownership costs (depreciation or leasing and insurance)
Maintenance (airframe and engine)
Crew (Cockpit and cabin)
Landing
Navigation
and
Fuel

at minimum

Not sure what the 0.07 figure refers to.

Generally airlines costs are shown as per available seat mile (or kilometre).

If you're trying to compare aircraft don't necessarily believe a manufacturers' general numbers it really depends on local economic conditions (ie labour rates; fuel prices etc).

HZ123
7th Jul 2004, 15:03
I thought that the average costs were between 9 pence to 15 pence per seat kilometre. Your quote on 0.07 seems very low for what is effectively a small a/c as it does not allways follow that smaller is cheaper. I think you will find quotes that Lufthansa are 10 pence, BA Longhaul is 15 and shorthaul 13 Easy are 8.5 pence but the latter is based on a high density cabin.

PaperTiger
7th Jul 2004, 15:41
I think 7322 was quoting in US dollars (.07 = 7 cents which is in the ballpark). Of course a manufacturer's quote of a 'target' CASM is liable to be quite different from an operator's actual CASM once the airplane is in service.

This (http://www.air-transport.org/econ/d.aspx?nid=1042) might help understand the factors involved.

* CASM - cost per available seat mile
* kerosene or paraffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene) if you prefer ;)