PDA

View Full Version : Viljoen to leave SAA

clipboard
6th Jul 2004, 09:49
Rumour has it that André Viljoen is quitting as CEO of SAA in August, two years short of his contract. There are a lot of speculation as to why he has opted to resign two years ahead of his contract, but sources close to the executive office have indicated that it is due to the massive losses SAA have suffered in recent times, and the fact that the Government had to put up security for creditors to the tune of R3,5 Billion last year.

My personal thought on this is, that Viljoen inherited major problems and huge losses created by the flambouyant "Conman Andrews", the former CEO of SAA a few years back.

It will be interesting to see who takes over from Viljoen, and whether the new incumbent will be able to turn the airline around.

SAA have also been plagued by a lot of in house political issues, affirmative appointments and other issues which have affected the morale of the staff big time. Mmmm, democracy and all, my thoughts are unless the government keeps SAA afloat, its gonna fly west into the sunset before the end of this decade......

slapfaan
6th Jul 2004, 12:41
...and the soap opera continues....

The Claw
6th Jul 2004, 13:09
Not that old "chestnut" again, you mean Viljoen's "fall-guy". I wonder how much his handshake will be? No doubt JvJ will follow swiftly............:*