PDA

View Full Version : Dick Smith in flight of fury

CitationJet
6th Jul 2004, 05:41
Dick Smith in flight of fury

Author: Steve Creedy * Aviation writer
Publisher: News Ltd
Publication: The Australian , Page 005 (Tue 6 Jul 2004)
Keywords: Dick (1) Smith (1)
Edition: 1 - All-round Country
Section: Local

ENTREPRENEUR Dick Smith is threatening to sue air traffic controller Airservices Australia, claiming a refusal to grant him clearance to fly over Sydney placed his family at unnecessary risk.

Mr Smith wrote yesterday to Airservices acting chairman Les Fisher, asking that tapes of his conversations with air traffic controllers be kept for legal action he is considering against the body.

The entrepreneur and airspace reformer said he was returning from Lord Howe Island in his Cessna 208 aircraft on Friday and asked to be allowed to overfly Sydney at 8500ft (2590m).

He said the clearance was refused and he was forced to descend to a low altitude over the Tasman Sea where a safe ditching might not have been possible.

``More to the point, rather than be allowed to overfly Sydney at 8500ft, where an engine failure would have allowed me to land on at least one of five possible runways, I was forced to track at low level over the densely populated northern suburbs where a safe forced landing would be highly unlikely,'' Mr Smith said.

``I am outraged this unnecessary risk was forced on myself and my family for no apparent reason.''

Mr Smith said he was planning legal action after checks with commercial operators at Bankstown Airport revealed that Airservices consistently refused similar requests.

Woomera
6th Jul 2004, 05:49
Duplication - go here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1417021#post1417021)