PDA

View Full Version : Best MP3 Player

My names Turkish
5th Jul 2004, 23:03
Sorry to ask again, but this is the last time! I asked a few months ago what was the best Jukebox type MP3 Player i.e 10gb+ I wanted to ask again as the technology is changing rapidly and what was good then might not be good now, and I am back for the last time in the US and the prices are a good deal cheaper than Europe.

Although the Creative Labs Zen Jukebox is large and the Menu is not great, they are cheap at the moment. 20 Gb ones going for $170.

iRiver looks great and the menu seems very similar to the iPod. The battery also lasts for 15 hours according the the makers, and it has a remote. It is $329.

Then the one which I am leaning towards is the 15gb iPod, for $299. The battery life is 6 hours or less, and now that battery replacement kits are available on the Net, I am more comfortable buying one.

So out of those which would you pick, or if not those which one?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
6th Jul 2004, 02:54
My names Turkish,

Here are a couple of reviews from Anand Tech that were recently posted:

Creative Labs' Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra 40GB - Extra Storage (http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2103)

And

Dell's Digital Jukebox 20 - Music, the Dell Way (http://www.anandtech.com/multimedia/showdoc.aspx?i=2084)

Always good to keep up with the latest info on new hardware. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

touch&go
6th Jul 2004, 09:21
Sony have a bit of kit coming out soon, here is a link to the BBC about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3855745.stm

ratsarrse
8th Jul 2004, 19:00
I ummed and ahed for quite a while myself before I settled on the 20Gb iPod. It was love at first sight - even opening the packaging was enjoyable!

Pros:
It's small and lightweight.
It's not even half full with 1800+ (and counting) tracks on it.
It looks great.
It's really easy to use - the interface is a benchmark for ease of use.
It sounds great - standard MP3s aside, the AAC format is supposedly better than MS's WMA format.
iTunes is really well designed - it makes everything an absolute doddle (unlike Sony's software).
iTunes store is also shaping up quite nicely.
There's a large community of users out there for support.

Cons:
I measured battery life at about 7.5 hours continuous play. However, there's no battery 'memory' effect.
Thieves want one too.
It scratches quite easily - some kind of case is advisable; slipping it into your pocket with your keys isn't.
Price.
They're ridiculously cool and trendy. People might think you are too.

I suspect that if you go for anything other than an iPod, you will start looking at iPod owners with a certain sense of envy and slight tinge of regret.

goates
8th Jul 2004, 19:14
Unless one of the other players have a feature that you need, the iPod is probably the best way to go. Even if it is more expensive than most. I've been watching a friend who couldn't understand all of the fuss about Apple's user interface design and industrial design fall in love with his iPod. Now he can hardly stop talking about how cool it is.

The battery life is only a problem if you won't be able to recharge it every night (if you use it heavily during the day). With the dock you can just drop it in when you get home and you will be good to go the next day.

goates

mini
8th Jul 2004, 19:18
I had CL Zen, found it awkward to use and transport, then it packed up...

Now have a 20 GB iPod, 170 CD's + 8 odd GB of laptop backup, absolutley fantastic, the best thing since bread.

Buy one, its brilliant.

:ok:

My names Turkish
8th Jul 2004, 22:51
Ratarse, Yes I have ummed and ahed for a while but I think it will be the iPod, had a demo at the store and it is really easy to use and the wheel is dead trendy. Everyone whos got one on here seems to rave. The price in the US makes it even more compelling. I think it was Scroggs who made a comment about the theft problem and market for stolen ones. I think the first thing would be to get rid of the white earphones, they are a give away. Once you've got it in your pocket no ones going to know.