PDA

View Full Version : Tornado fin vortex generators

18greens
5th Jul 2004, 18:10
Hi,

I noticed the Tornado in Hendon has what look like Vortex generators on its fin. I've seen them on wings before but not on a fin. What to do they do, prevent/ delay fin stall if such a thing exists?

Raymond Ginardon
5th Jul 2004, 22:29
I got asked that during Staneval once. My reply, of course, was to return the stare with my mouth hanging slightly open while trying to look as 'doggy' like as possible so they would give me a clue.

They got the blood out of my stone, seem to remember they were for reducing the destabilising effects of the reverse thrust flow over the V stab.

Ray G

country calls
6th Jul 2004, 15:49
Oh the joy of looking out of the crewroom window at some poor hapless LAC, voltmeter in hand trying to get an output from the vortex generators. And then the sheer enjoyment of seeing said LAC pressing cheek earnestly against filthy fin and blowing across the VG trying to induce a measurable voltage.

It was called a windup in the old days, character building. Now it would be reducing the individuals self esteem and reinforcing bad engineering business practice. Probably resulting in a chat with one of the Nanny Force EO people; who, if rumour is to be believed, will be formed into their own Sqn on every station very soon.

"Tell me CC, what are you going to be doing when you leave the Air Force?" "Cartwheels sir, feckin' cartwheels!"

Dark Helmet
6th Jul 2004, 15:58
CC,

Ah, happy days!