PDA

View Full Version : getting nervous!

stanleystan
5th Jul 2004, 15:08
Hi!
I got my wings on the 11th June and i've been waiting ever since to get my id and to start flying. I've always wanted this job and I did well in the training and everything like that. While i've been waiting i've become more and more nervous about starting and am starting to get really worried about whether i've done the right thing. I wake up in the middle of the night as I have dreams about being in the cabin and everyone's staring at me. Of course I know that's part of the job and I expect that, but it really worried me when I wake up like that. I also feel that I don't really know anything about what I should be doing when I have my first flight. I know we have to do security checks and all that, but I don't know where to start what to do e.t.c we just weren't told. I've forgotten silly little things like how to set up the carts and when to arm the doors and stuff. Did anyone else feel like this? Am I worrying for nothing?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Stanleystan

bluestars
5th Jul 2004, 17:09
Hi Stanleystan

Dont worry mate...honestly....
i know we have spoken before about the id issue and i cant believe you are still waiting for it. my flat mate is also about to start flying for BMI and i kept saying to him have you applied for your disclosure etc etc and he said that BMI didnt mention it to him till day one of the training course!? mine took 6 weeks to come and i cant believe companies are still neglecting to tell people this.
as for worrying about starting to fly...i think this is a natural feeling that everyone has that hasnt flown before (as in crew)... i am 2 weeks into my course with another 3 weeks of the 'proper' stuff and im already thinking god how am i going to remember this...after expressing this concern to my trainer they have said the best thing you can do is simply ask the rest of your crew...and just keep asking.... they wont mind after all its all about teamwork.
the important stuff like arming doors will come flooding back to you as soon as you step on board and as for setting up bar trolleys etc im told by my boyfriend who is also crew you can just set these up in a way that suits you.
just keep pressing your admin office for your id.....
you will be fine..... let us know how you get on and where your first flight is too...
all the very best
bluestars
:ok:

stanleystan
5th Jul 2004, 17:33
lol! Yeah we had to fill in our disclosure form on the first day of training! I would be flying by now if I had sent it off before!!
I know the other crew are there to help, but the last thing I want to do is to annoy them with stupid things that I should know when they are busy! I just want to start and get it over with!!!! I'm going on holiday on friday so it's going to be another week of waiting. If only I knew it would be this much hassle to start with! Yeah of course i'll keep you posted on my first flight and things! Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it!

bluestars
5th Jul 2004, 19:53
hi
i just cannot believe that BMI leave it this late to advise you about the disclosure especially when the course i believe that you have just completed is about 4 weeks?? i know that they arent the only company though to do this as the last company i worked for were happy for new starters to wander around with no id and not being able to do their job properly. only difference is when you are crew this actually costs the crew member money as you know!

do you fly as an extra crew member on your first flight?? the other thing that we have been told to do is just shout.. 'WHAT CAN I DO!!" and normally someone will say oh can you get the bar top out or something to that effect? im sure in any case they wont think you are a hindrance and will actually be grateful that you are coming online to relieve the short staffness that alot of airlines seem to have been suffering recently.

as for the going on holiday...just go away and enjoy yourself and when you come back why not just take a quick flick through your books and again as i said before im sure when you get onboard everything will come flooding back to you.....

hopefully someone will reply to you that has been in a similar situation to you but has already started flying...not like me...just a newbie only 2 weeks into training...

in any case, good luck... and have a fab holiday

bluestars
:D

stanleystan
5th Jul 2004, 22:16
Hi!
I still find it difficult to belive that they are happy for us to sit at home and wait! I'm still getting paid though so I can't complain!!
Yeah our first few flights are classed as famil flights and we are basically extra's. It's only about two flights then we are on our own :-/
Don't worry i'm going to have an excellent time on holiday! I'm going to Ibiza with the lads! I'm a honorary lad for this holiday! yay! I'll keep a close eye on the cabin crew when flying out!
Who have you started training with? Are you enjoying it?!

bluestars
6th Jul 2004, 14:28
hi
well at least you are getting paid..allbeit the basic but im sure it is enough beer money :D

i am training with BA and so far so good but then i still have the medical stuff and SEP to go so i think at the moment its all the easy stuff!!!?

i think i will be exactly the same as you.... but just dive on in there...hmmm i wonder if i will take my own advice in 3 weeks time!!!!

anyway happy holidays

and fingers crossed when you get back you will have a white envelope waiting for you with a little bit of blue poking thru... ie yr disclosure!!!

bluestars

stanleystan
6th Jul 2004, 15:58
Oh yeah I remember now!!!
Yeah it enough beer money for me!!! I've spent it all already though!!
SEP's are fine and fun, but my god the medical stuff is so boring! It was the worst three days of the course!!!
Thanks i'll have a great holiday and let you know if I have my disclosure when I get back! See ya!

andyw34
11th Jul 2004, 21:47
dont worry about your first flight, ask the other crew, they will point you in the right direction.......we do remember when we were new as well.

Good luck and remember...ENJOY......if you do make a little mistake, most of the freight will not notice