PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pilots Wings needed !!!!!

PC7anyone?
5th Jul 2004, 13:11
Sorry for the mundane request. I need a quality graphic of a set of RAF pilots wings. Ive googled for the last 2hrs with no joy. Can anyone help ? Anything would be good but a vector type graphic would be fantastic. Thanks in anticipation.

Zuma Zuma
5th Jul 2004, 14:50
RAF Wings (http://11raf.jg11.com/Images/wings.jpg)

(Taken from Google Image search! Lazy bugger!)

Hueymeister
5th Jul 2004, 15:13
Do you want up-to-date wings?..coz they are pre the change to the latest incumbent of Buck Palace.[http://www.stewart-aviation.co.uk/images/161.JPG

PPRuNeUser0172
5th Jul 2004, 15:23
PC7chap

Why dont you spend 2 years avoiding the swinging axe, go through EFT, BFJT/DHFS/METS, with a fair smattering of holds and earn your very own pair!!

Only joking

On a serious note though, Mr Zuma's link refers to a set of Wings pre-EIIR, as these are not the ones on my uniform. I am sure someone will know which monarch they belong to.

:ok:

Zuma Zuma
5th Jul 2004, 18:53
Apologies...I was a bit too hasty with my reply and didn't really look properly!

Slap on the wrist humbly accepted!:ok:

mr ripley
5th Jul 2004, 20:28
Do you mean the RAF Flying Badge? Try this web page (http://www.rafweb.org/Badges3.htm).

Zoom
5th Jul 2004, 21:17
First time I've seen the new badge for WSOs. How come only they and pilots get a crown?

mr ripley
5th Jul 2004, 23:30
Well the idea is that you have pilots and WSOs/WSOps only. I have seen aircrew who would have been awarded a N or E or ALM brevet wearing a WSO brevet as that is now the brevet that they are awarded.

I presume that Airborne Technician/Fighter Controller/PJI are awarded in the same format that they always have been.

Pub User
5th Jul 2004, 23:57
PC

Take care. If you get a picture of RAF wings without beer stains they are NOT REAL.

The Swinging Monkey
6th Jul 2004, 06:51
Try Terry Rumble at Terrane:
www.terrane.co.uk
or better still give him a bell on 01522 697000. He is licensed by the MOD to make all this kind of stuff.

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey

teeteringhead
6th Jul 2004, 09:55
Technically and heraldically, the previous "King's Wings" flying badge was not associated with a specific king, but Ks and Qs have different crowns. So the old version went through Geos V and VI (and presumably Ed VIII).

So IF Auntie Betty lasts as long as her Mum, and IF there's still an RAF by then, we'll go back to King's Wings in approx 2027 for Chas III (or maybe Bill V).

Jodel Hugger
6th Jul 2004, 10:51
but Ks and Qs have different crowns

They have the same crown, but it was rescupltered for QE2 to be lighter to wear - this involved the reshaping of the top section to be more rounded :8

The Swinging Monkey
7th Jul 2004, 07:06
Jodel,

Sorry to be so picky, but dosn't that make it a different crown then?

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey

teeteringhead
7th Jul 2004, 08:08
But the fact that the real crown was indeed altered for HM, doesn't mean that the graphic representation had to change. And not just wings - check out pillar boxes and similar, or Squadron badges or whatever.

After further research:Many different types of crowns appear or have appeared, each being used to show royal authority. The Saint Edward's crown has arches that are depressed in the middle. It has been used by the female monarchs, Victoria and Elizabeth II, and so is sometimes known as the Queen's crown. The crown with arches raised to form a dome, is often called the Tudor crown. It has been used during the reign of male monarches, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII, and George VI, and is sometimes called the King's crown.

So they are different! Game set and match to teeters methinks! :ok:

PC7anyone?
7th Jul 2004, 13:36
Thanks all for your help. Yes I've had my own for almost 15yrs now. The original ones given to me on the day, ceremonialy dipped in beer before being sewn onto the No1's with an OLD british penny behind (can't remember why??)

Thanks for the links. The photos are good but was hoping for a graphic as they come out better when you ask the engraver to sort out your beer glass (the reason I need it!!). Before all the solutions come in this is for the Muslim country of Brunei so I need to sort it out myself!!!

Any more help welcome.

Thanks again

teeteringhead
7th Jul 2004, 13:42
Old sixpence surely?? Scarcely room for an old penny ...wasn't there a thread on sixpences under wings a while ago??

I thought so .... here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54715&highlight=sixpence) it is!