PDA

View Full Version : CAA Fees & Charges

jarjam
1st Sep 2001, 16:08
After paying for my JAA CPL (£172) and then 6 weeks later a further £256 for the issue of my ME/IR I was VERY annoyed to discover from another pilot that if I had waited and sent all the applications together the total fee would have been £172!
Maybe I am the only pilot in the country that didnt know this but I am sure I'm not.
If my facts are straight then what the hell do the CAA think they are playing at and are traning providers making their students aware of this RIP-OFF administration charge.
any further comments are welcome I am now £256 out of pocket but if this helps any body else to save some cash then im pleased to help.
P.S somebody in CAA FCL has a Yacht moored up in Monaco harbour!

SUCK IT AND SEE CHAPS.

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Sep 2001, 16:51
Yeah thats a nasty little trap. Not much you can do now. The CAA do publish the charges and if you read the small print in the correct way you CAN infer the savings. That said they could put that in plain langauage on the FAQ to be honest...

Its this kind of thing that PPRuNe can generally help with if you don't know quite a few people who have trained ahead of you. I know tips like this saved me loads during my training.

I'll pop this in the Archive for future reference.

Cheers

Oleo
2nd Sep 2001, 02:37
You mean to say there are CAA charges that aren't dodgy???!!!!!!!! :D

Noggin
2nd Sep 2001, 22:02
The CAA Charges are clearly laid out in the ANO Scheme of charges for all to read. An IR has always been additional to a CPL unlike the ATPL which includes the IR. The IR does not cost £256 so I suggest you make some enquiries.

Soliciting Stu
5th Jul 2004, 09:43
Hullo everyone.

Could anyone assist me with listing the fees the CAA impose from PPL issue through to CPL/IR issue please, including Test fees?

Personally, I would be very grateful, and I am sure this would be a valuable posting for those undergoing modular training so those "hidden" fees could be budgeted for.

Many thanks to you all.

Kind regards,
SS

Flingingwings
5th Jul 2004, 10:10
Can't help with all of them but those I know are:

Addition of type rating to already issued ppl £70
CPL(H) skills test £634

You can save a little cash by sending off for ppl and RT licence together (RT licence then processed for free)

If your just starting out remember and budget for medical and exam costs:(

IRRenewal
5th Jul 2004, 10:43
You can find all charges here (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/licensing/fcl/document.asp?groupid=658), both for private and professional.

Alex Whittingham
5th Jul 2004, 21:53
Here's one to think about. ATPL exam fees, £55 a paper, 130+ candidates each paper each month, 14 papers..... er .... £55 x 130 x 14 = .......gosh, that's over £100,000 a month or £1.2 million pounds a year. You'd think they could get exam confirmations out in time.

carb
6th Jul 2004, 14:39
Yes, when you do the maths on fees and on the minimal resources being deployed on licensing/examinations it's plain to see that we are actually subsidising some of the CAA's other activities. We should demand private / trainee pilot representation on the Board.

By the time an individual has achieve an fATPL they will have paid the CAA an amount equivalent to acquiring a small plc shareholding - the least we need in return is a voice at the top level.

BillieBob
6th Jul 2004, 16:27
.......we are actually subsidising some of the CAA's other activities We are actually subsidising that nice Mr Brown. The CAA is not only the only national authority in the world that has to cover its costs in full, it also has to show a profit (can't remember how much) all of which goes to the Treasury - yet another stealth tax.

carb
6th Jul 2004, 19:44
Their accounts show an £8m loss last year to be made up by an £8m hand-out from the DfT specifically in respect of their Kemble St property cost, so they are taking as much notice of HM Gov't as they do their users...

cumulo
24th Nov 2004, 13:22
Hello all

I should be very grateful if someone could indicate me the current fee required by the CAA to convert a UK national ATPL into a UK JAR ATPL.

I cannot find the information in their website, nor in their 'CAA scheme of charges'.

Thxs a lot.

Kerropi
24th Nov 2004, 13:34
Hi,

I don't know for sure how things work in the UK. But recently I converted my license from National Dutch CPL to JAA it didn't cost me a penny (or EURO).

K.

EDIT:

Sorry to confuse you. I converted my National license into JAA. It was a CPL/IR not ATPL ....

wreckless
25th Nov 2004, 15:16
You pay the initial issue fee for the JAR ATPL License

Squawk 2650
14th Feb 2005, 11:39
Hey Guys and Gals,

Does anyone know how much it costs to send your IR, CPL and MEP application forms off together?? Can't seem to find it on their web site!!

Thanks in advance,

L.
:cool:

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Feb 2005, 21:21
£194, if you process them all together.

ATPMBA
9th Aug 2005, 00:08
What does the CAA charge to take a written ATPL exam?

And are there 14 exams to take?

Charlie Zulu
9th Aug 2005, 01:03
The current charge is £55 per paper attempt and there are 14 papers to pass.

Mercenary Pilot
9th Aug 2005, 08:35
And the price is going up soon!

Daft Wader
12th Aug 2005, 12:05
must be due to all those pencils I have been taking out of the exams ...... Sorry !!

You aint seen me right
:cool:

Daft Wader

The96er
12th Aug 2005, 14:35
I sometimes wonder how they can charge such an outrageous amount per exam, especially when you see the poor state of some of the annexes which you are given to work with !!!!

Charlie Zulu
12th Aug 2005, 20:15
To be fair to the CAA, the various annexes for this months exams were in pretty good shape. They seem to have got their act together this month... (Orlando exam centre but that probably doesn't make a different as they're sent over from Gatwick).

ramshorn
3rd Feb 2006, 12:20
Hi all
Just read a post which advises someone that if they were to do JAA IR then they would have to do 2 tests.
I know that the IR skills test will be charged at a whopping £640 by the CAA.
Any ideas how much i will be charged for the 170a, or is that generally included in the course price??:confused:

Thanks;)

Dude~
3rd Feb 2006, 12:45
No longer officially called the 170A I believe, but you still have to prove you are ready to test before flying with a CAA examiner. Some places may include it in the course price. Others may not. Check first and find out exactly what the score is. Some places may even charge their own test fee for the '170A'

The place I went to included both the 170A, and the aircraft hire for the test, so the only thing I had to pay was the basic course price, and the CAA test fee, which was a very good deal. Be very clear about what the school charges extra for as it could easily ammount to an extra £1000.

LFS
3rd Feb 2006, 13:32
Unfortunately the CAA have raised the IR and CPL test fees to £691 as of 1st January 2006.

It is still called the 170a but a flight test is only required for the IR. Most schools would include in course prices, if they don't it should only be around the £150 - £200 mark.

too_sleepy
11th Dec 2006, 11:06
Hi

I thought I had this sorted but I'd really like some feedback on what I should pay the CAA.
I'm applying for my CPL with multi-ir
The sceme of charges lists:
210 - For the grant of a Commercial Pilot licence (Aeroplane), including an initial type rating and instrument rating where these are included in the application valid for 5 years

Does this cover my CPL, IR rating and Multi rating. I'm assuming type rating could be the multi rating?

Also, do I list my MCC on the application form?

Thanks

CAT3C AUTOLAND
11th Dec 2006, 18:17
If you submit all your paper work for the CPL, IR and MEP they should issue everything for the quoted price, or that is what they did for me, unless it has changed. You MEP is not a type rating, it is a class rating.

With regard to you MCC, the CAA do not issue it, it is something that you get from the provider who you trained with, the certificate should be placed in your licence.

Hope this helps.

buggingout
11th Dec 2006, 19:13
Yeah, just had mine back: ME CPL/IR & Radiotelephony issued....all for the bargain price of 210 quid :\

in fairness, only took them a week from send to receive.

Hour Builder
12th Dec 2006, 16:30
GET IT IN QUICK BEFORE IT GOES UP IN JANUARY :ok:

BlueRobin
12th Dec 2006, 17:19
Are they?

The scheme of charges published last year are for 2006/07. If they are late doing their budget, they had better get a move on!

Hour Builder
12th Dec 2006, 20:09
Well I was just guessing. You are quite right the scheme of charges reads

PERSONNEL LICENSING CHARGES SCHEME, 2006/07
(OFFICIAL RECORD SERIES 5 DATED 2 November 2005)
This summary of the above Scheme is in respect of PROFESSIONAL PILOT'S LICENSING
The Charges, which are PAYABLE ON APPLICATION, are EFFECTIVE FROM 1 January 2006

Who's to say they won't increase that and write at the bottom

The Charges, which are PAYABLE ON APPLICATION, are EFFECTIVE FROM 1 January 2007 :eek:

HB

Linda Mollison
13th Dec 2006, 08:10
I think you will find the prices do not go up until 1 April 2007 when it is proposed that the licence issue fee will go up to £216.

It is also proposed that the flight test fee will go up to £712!

See www.caa.co.uk/charges

Linda Mollison

expedite08
31st Jan 2007, 18:12
Its all in the title!!

Cant seem to get the link on here, but have a look on thier site, under scheme of charges.

Looks like were all gonna get mugged in broad daylight even more than we do already!!!! :ugh: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

wbryce
31st Jan 2007, 18:48
I can only find the scheme of charges thats been in existance since dec 05, http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=175&pagetype=68&groupid=658
Is this the link you were looking at?

BlueRobin
31st Jan 2007, 19:46
wrt the pro training side, theory exams up £62 from £60, CAA staff flight tests up £712 from £698.

Two and three percent rises, not the CAA's usual 6-7% customary inflation :)

Superpilot
1st Feb 2007, 06:49
You guys are so mean! With the price of coffee and tea rising daily, they had to do something!

2close
25th Mar 2007, 09:54
This is not a whinge but a genuine enquiry for information or rather explanation.

I would like to think that someone from the CAA, i.e. Graham Forbes or even Mike Bell, would take the time to answer but I doubt it somehow.

So my question is how does the CAA justify the fees that they charge for CPL and IR flight tests.

I understand that the charges in the UK are higher than any other country - is this correct?

If the test fee included the hire cost of the aircraft I could understand it but to charge nigh on £ 700 to have someone sitting alongside an examinee for even two hours seems somewhat high, regardless of the professional status of the examiner. After all, the money doesn't go to the examiner....or does it?

Given that the CAA has a monopoly on this issue, which itself seems quite against the spirit of fair trading, I am surprised they have got away with these charges for so long.

Have the charges ever been formally contested and if so what was the outcome?

2close

Turbine King
25th Mar 2007, 10:22
The standard response is the CAA is not publicly funded and has to get its money from us

How about the ATPL exam fees 62 quid from April (thats £868!)
how does that add up then?

My CATS online course is only £1000!

In other countries the same JAA exams are charged at under 10 euro each with computer exam and results on same day

why can't i study here and do exams in greece let's say

High Wing Drifter
25th Mar 2007, 12:09
Here's one to think about. ATPL exam fees, £55 a paper, 130+ candidates each paper each month, 14 papers..... er .... £55 x 130 x 14 = .......gosh, that's over £100,000 a month or £1.2 million pounds a year. You'd think they could get exam confirmations out in time.
I doubt each sitting student will be taking 14 exams at each sitting. I would guess about 5 on average. I met quite a few who were just taking one or two. Some of the other schools do 4/5 per sitting. Still a lot of money though!

To be fair, it should be a user pays system. To publicly fund the CAA would be wrong. The question is, within aviation who subsidises who? It seems to me that the license issue costs are understandable as each license is probably a couple of hours work for a couple of people plus the IT and facilities infrastructure needed to support those people. The exams though, I don't understand £55+ per exam at all. That is just money for old rope as is the 5 year license renewal and a few other things!

BlueRobin
25th Mar 2007, 12:43
The CAA is only the only governmental agency that has to make a return from its "user base" plus 6-7%. There is I imagne probably some formula on this basis that there is a budget set for X amount and each department contributes its fair share depending on that department's running costs (inc rent, utilities etc) and workload.

It's probably something your MP's researcher could ask or look up given sufficient time.

EIDW RJ85
25th Mar 2007, 16:05
Just got this from my Groundschool Provider ... Exam fees are up again!!!
Please be advised as from 1st April 2007 all JAR examinations will be £62-00 and the Cancellation/Transfer fee will be £23-00. The new scheme of charges will be on the CAA website early March.
:= := :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

BlueRobin
25th Mar 2007, 16:37
Yes mentioned here on a thread from Jan this year
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=262290
Charges were published back then. Flight test fees have also gone up. Note the % increase is at abtu inflationary rates, though granted who else within JAA signatories charges even more?

2close
25th Mar 2007, 18:58
And don't forget the CAA subsidised staff canteen, err, I mean restaurant. Something has got to cover the shortfall.

Now there's a thought; if the actual price for a meal is £ 4.50 (as charged to visitors) and staff are only charged £ 3.50 I wonder how many of the CAA declare this actual benefit in kind to the taxman.......mmmmm, there's food for thought (sorry, didn't mean the awful pun!).

BlueRobin
25th Mar 2007, 19:24
IIRC from visiting last year for my medical, the menu has three different three course meals.