PDA

View Full Version : banner towing

cockleshell
4th Jul 2004, 20:05
I am having problems with a local rogue banner tower. My son is a commercial pilot and has advised me to inquire if anyone has information on rules and regulations

vintage ATCO
4th Jul 2004, 20:34
Article 55 of the Air Navigation Order available here http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP393.PDF covers it.

In what way is it rogue?

cockleshell
5th Jul 2004, 20:59
The 'rogue' plane flies at a height probably below 500 feet over a built up area towing various banners which carry abusive messages. In an area with an airport under threat of closure, which would result in many job losses, this seems to reflect badly on private pilots.

pa42
11th Jul 2004, 15:38
This is just getting good! What do these messages SAY?

Put the newspapers on him, everything will come to light in the most wonderfully distorted way.

Below 500? Aha, easy to get registration with ordinary binoculars: take it down, call it in, let the gummint determine legality (ultimately that's what would happen even if you had chapter and verse of a violated reg).

FAA in USA standard rejoinder: "how do you KNOW he was below 500' " (so get a friend across town to triangulate with a sextant at same time as you do; easy math).

cockleshell
11th Jul 2004, 16:52
Well yesterday the plane was up and the banner was, quote:- "Protect the good guys Mr Plod not bums"

Now I'm all for free speech, but we also have an invasion of privacy issue. If the aeroplanes sponsor wishes to have a dig at the local law enforcement. Why not write to the local paper?

The local aviation scene is struggling and must be seen to be behaving with the best of intentions. Every flight school in the area trys hard to limit noise and overflights and live in harmony with the locals. It is a shame that one rogue is ruining all the good work....

My questions :-

Can banner towing be conducted from a strip. Or must the banner be picked up from a licenced aerodrome? Would the pilot have a commercial licence?':confused:'

I understand the aircraft is also a non G- register. Does anyone know if this is legal? Is the aircraft insured for any 3rd party damage in the event of a mishap, or articles falling from the plane in a unscheduled maner?':ouch:'

Any comments appriecated....:ok:

panjandrum
11th Jul 2004, 19:44
Cockleshell,

All your answers will be CAP393 as mentioned above. Below are some relevant extracts:

Only says must be from Aerodrome, which is defined ...as any area of land..., designed, equipped, or set apart for the landing & departure of aircraft etc etc (Article 129 &55 (2))

The aircraft must have a certificate of airworthiness (in the country in which the aircraft is registered, ie: USA), which includes an express provision that it may be used for such purposes (Article 55 (1)

Aircraft & banner must not exceed 150 meteres in length (55(4))

An aircraft shall not fly over any congested area of a city, town or settlement below: (i) such height as would enable the acft to alight clear of the area without danger to persons or property on the surface, in the event of failure of a power unit and if such an acft is towing a banner ssuch height shall be calculated on the basis that the banner shall not be dropped within the congested area; or
(ii) a height of 1500 feet above the highest fixed object within 600 metres of the acft:
whichever is the higher

Congested Area is defined as 'in relation to a city, town or settlement, means any area which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes'

Contact the CAA and ask them if they deem the area he is flying over to be a congested area (ie: congested enough for them to prosecute the case with a chance of winning).

Also I would complain to the council which is responsible for the airstrip location (I'm sure they would be more than happy to get details of aviation practises from the site that are causing a nuisance)

vintage ATCO
11th Jul 2004, 20:40
Cockleshell, check your pm's

sooty3694
12th Jul 2004, 11:39
Judging by the text of the banner, the pilot will be using 5 foot letters which CAN be read by those on the ground when flown at 1500 feet agl. He may, subject to the banner towing manual he is operating under, be using seven foot letters in which case they may be read from a far greater height and distance.

Accordingly, if this guy knows anything about banner towing he will want his message spread far and wide, so would be doing himself no favours by flying at ONLY 500 feet.

Furthermore, an observer on the ground close enough to the airplane should be able to read a G reg tail number WITHOUT THE NEEDS OF BINOCULARS if it is flown BELOW 500 feet. Any witnesses on the ground with anything less than normal vision would not assist any prosecution, and neither would those who used binoculars.

neils
17th Jul 2004, 19:29
Yes you do need to be a commercial pilot.
Five foot letters usually max 1000ft,seven foot 1500ft.
Just a thought,why dont you book him yourselves?

Zlin526
20th Jul 2004, 20:56
Take some non-digital pictures, preferably wth something 'solid' in the background so as to judge the aircraft's height and then contact the CAA if you feel that he is flouting The Civil Aviation (Aerial Advertising) Regulations 1995 (http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1995/Uksi_19952943_en_1.htm) or Air Navigation: The Order and the Regulations (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=226)

Red Four
4th Oct 2004, 20:46
From todays Essex Evening Echo:

Canvey: Holding tried to "corrupt" election, judge says
Brought to you by the Evening Echo
Businessman Terry Holding has been slated by a judge for trying to "corrupt" an election by flying banners with insulting comments about candidates.

Holding used his wealth and his own plane to try and stop the election of three Labour members to Castle Point Council with his "hostile" views, said Mr Justice Goldstaub.

Holding, of Parkers Farm Road, Orsett, was found guilty at Basildon Crown Court on Friday of three counts of breaching election law by incurring expenses and disparaging three Labour candidates at the Castle Point election.

While the 71-year-old denied the charges, he admitted taking to the skies in a light aircraft and flying banners with the words "vote for decency, vote out poofs, pervs and thieves", and on a second occasion with the message "go and vote. Do not let apathy win or pervs and thieves".

Holding, who runs Canvey car salvage firm HBC, also admitted distributing 3,500 leaflets in the area prior to the May 2003 local elections, but rejected claims he dropped leaflets from the plane.

Sentencing Holding to a two-year conditional discharge and ordering him to pay prosecution costs (which have yet to be decided), Judge Anthony Goldstaub said the country depended on the "integrity of the election process" both at national and local level.

More in today's Evening Echo