PDA

View Full Version : Schhols in Australia

guybrush
4th Jul 2004, 08:38
Hi everyone,
I have heard about the following schools in Australia. What is their reputation and quality of training?

Flight Training Australia
Aerospace Aviation

Also, how good is the University of New South Wales, Grifith University, Bond University and University of Western Australia?

Lastly, is there any country that refuses to convert CASA licences to their licenses?

Thanks a lot,:ok:
Guybrush

oxide
4th Jul 2004, 09:55
I have studied at GU, but in a non Aviation course. Griffith University is quite good for an Aviation Degree course. and Flight Training Australia does the practical training for the GU degree courses that include flying.

Dr.Paul Bates looks after Aviation at GU, very nice man. Lots of friends have done their Aviation degree's there and are quite pleased with the course.

redsnail
4th Jul 2004, 11:36
I don't know Griffith Uni or FTA but I haven't heard any thing bad about Griffith uni.
Uni of NSW does have a very good reputation. I believe their aviation degree is a good one.
Bond uni is a comparatively new university. They are the first private uni in Australia. I believe they charge like a wounded bull for their courses but what would take a "conventional" uni 3 years will take Bond two years. I don't know any thing specific about their aviation degree.
I don't know any thing about Uni of Western Australia. (Uni of Western Sydney is closing their aviation degree course).

I know the owners of Aerospace Aviation. They do have a reasonable sized fleet. As with any school, you have to get the right instructor to match you.

As far as I am aware the Australian licence can be converted in any country. What is required for that conversion is up to that country. Australia is a signatory to ICAO.

Try asking this question in D&G. :D

cap71n
5th Jul 2004, 05:31
I did my research on the uni's at the end of last year and after weighing everything up (cost and the relevance of a degree included) I am doing a one year diploma course through Avondale College School of Aviation.

The course has two threads, both take you to CPL practical and IREX, but you can choose to do either an instructor rating or ATPL theory. Fleet consists of 2x Cessna 152's 2x Piper Warriors 2x Piper Arrows 1x Beechcraft Duchess and others at times.

Class is only small, I think we have 15 people doing IREX and Reg Litster (theory instructor) is regarded as one of the best in the state.

Call Garry Fraser (CFI) on (02) 49771475 and talk to him he's a top guy, or email me.

Happy searching!

AIRWAY
5th Jul 2004, 06:21
Hello,

I heard that aussie uni's where going to terminate their flying courses due to the fact that goverment funding will be decreased.

Any truth to that?

redsnail
5th Jul 2004, 11:51
I'll pop an email to a mate who's a lecturer (soon to be retired) at Uni of Western Sydney. I know UWS is closing their aviation degree.

guybrush
7th Jul 2004, 08:24
Hi,

Thanks for all those who replied.

Can anyone comment on the quality of the following schools:
- Geelong Flight Centre
- Western Australian Aviation College
- Avondale
- Sydney Flight Trainign Centre

I'v heard a few positive remarks about them on this forum.

Cheers,:ok:
guybrush