PDA

View Full Version : SAAF HS125 CFIT 1970s?

Gainesy
3rd Jul 2004, 16:01
Someone has asked on another aviation forum about a formation CFIT in Cape Town area many years ago.

I vaguely remember hearing about a real nasty, when an
HS125(?) led a formation flypast practice into a stuffed cloud and that two aircraft went in.

Can anyone relate the story or correct my memory (too many beers) please?

Teignmouth
3rd Jul 2004, 16:23
It was pre-76 (when I arrived in SA!). I think it was the original Silver Falcons. They hit Table Mountain. I'll see what I can find out and post details here.

That was quick!

See http://aviation-safety.net/database/1971/710526-5.htm

Cpt. Underpants
3rd Jul 2004, 16:38
It was 1971 and 21 SQ (VIP Transport) was practising for the South African Republic 10th Anniversary flypast.

It's a complex story but as they were running late, the lead was asked to speed up and they entered cloud. The pre-calculated turn radius was incorrect and with the (significantly) higher speed, the formation impacted Devils Peak, just above the Rhodes Memorial. All aircraft hit the peak, and all aboard perished.

Apart from the significant human tragedy, the accident impacted the SAAF severely as the aircraft were irreplacable - South Africa was being sanctioned for it's Apartheid policies - and it was some years before the aircraft were replaced, through a deal that cost the labour party in the UK dearly.

...The complex webs we weave...

ANVAK
3rd Jul 2004, 18:51
Remember that day well... Three a/c (SAAF called the HS125 the "Mercurius") involved - impacted the lower crest of Devil's Peak causing very loud explosions.

Teignmouth
3rd Jul 2004, 20:56
Who was the idiot who said it was the Silver Falcons?

Oh...it was me. Duh! Sorry!

Pontius' Pilot
4th Jul 2004, 10:35
You are correct Teignmouth we never flew HS125's in the Silver Falcons, or at least not during my time there :)

Gainesy
4th Jul 2004, 16:31
Thanks Guys, what a horror story.