PDA

View Full Version : Tackling the theory...

avgas206
3rd Jul 2004, 13:34
I began flying at the beginning of this year, and have basically completed the Basic Aeronautical Knowledge as home study. I think I will be able to pass the BAK exam, however I dont think home study suits me very well. I'm 19 years old, and I plan to get my Commercial Licence but before that, i'll need a PPL.

Does anyone know where I can get some theory lessons in PPL theory in adelaide? My flying school won't do it and I have tried TAFE but they only accept students in feb. which isn't much help.

I think i'll go to TAFE next year to get my CPL, IREX, and later on, ATPL.

any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Bird Strike
3rd Jul 2004, 13:48
You'll probably find that PPL theory exam is perfectly passable without needing to attend theory classes. You might like to use books available from the flying school or bookshops to self-study, then ask your instructor for clarification on what you can't quite grasp?

QF747-400
4th Jul 2004, 00:52
If you're aiming to become an airline pilot, I reckon that self-study would show them you're keen, independant worker, harder worker etc.

avgas206
4th Jul 2004, 11:00
ok thanx for your point of view guys... i'll try to do the PPL theory myself.

thanks again

Bird Strike
4th Jul 2004, 11:21
If you're aiming to become an airline pilot, I reckon that self-study would show them you're keen, independant worker, harder worker etc.

I don't think this would be an issue - I don't think you get asked how you studied for your theory exams, but I stand to be corrected.

QF747-400
5th Jul 2004, 01:32
Bird Strike,

I'm too not 100% sure if that is the case although it sounds reasonable, they will most likely ask you where you studied, how you paid and others (Maybe how you did it) but if you cannot do self-study then don't force yourself. Some can do it, some can't. Just enjoy yourself whichever way gives you more enjoyment ;-)

Some people don't like sitting in a classroom and so on. Others love learning with others

kram
5th Jul 2004, 04:41
Nothing wrong with either way. Though I find it hard studying at home with all the other distractions.

I did my PPL/CPL theory at TAFE and I can say it's a good way to go. It forces you to put in a minimum number of hours a week and you can learn a lot from the other poeple you meet.

Try studying at home and make decision when TAFE starts, you'll just have a good start.

Just get the theory over and done with and get out there flying! Build those hours!

If only I was 19 again.

redsnail
5th Jul 2004, 12:55
Never been asked where I did my study, been asked a few times where I learnt to fly. Probably more of a log book check than any thing else.
What I have been asked is where I flew as a professional pilot.

foxinsox
6th Jul 2004, 11:30
If you're looking for a good way to get the CPL/ATPL theory, then I'd definately recommend the TAFE path. I've just finished my ATPL exams this year after doing the course in 02/03. The lecturing is done by people who have been in the industry and can help guide your study in the areas which are often tested. If you can afford the time (ie around work commitments) then it's probably the easiest way of getting the subject knowledge I know.