PDA

View Full Version : Police helicopter pilot

ozzieb88
2nd Jul 2004, 23:13
Hi,

Well ive always wanted to be a commercial pilot, i start my PPL next week, bearing in mind i only turned 16 2day! woo hoo! lol, neway, Police helicopter pilots? how do i become one of them, ive started to look at that and it looks interesting, anyone know the average pay? how to get there etc?

Thanks

2nd Jul 2004, 23:24
Two options:

1. Join the military and gain your licence / experience there over several years service or,

2. Get a very highly paid job, save all your money and pay for the licence yourself along with all the thousand of hours you'll have to build to satisfy the Police's requirements....

To summarise - a long hard slog.

witchdoctor
3rd Jul 2004, 09:39
Probably looking at 2000hrs minimum flight time in a 'proper' turbine helicopter as PIC, so don't waste all that money on one of Mr Robinson's lawn mower engine egg whisks.

I suspect a strong bias towards ex-military pilots due to the nature of the work and a bit of an 'old boys network'.

747 Downwind
4th Jul 2004, 09:53
Not so sure about your comments on 'old boy network' witchdoctor, the Old Bill are becoming so P.C I think that assertion wouldn't really hold much substance. Nevertheless, 2000hrs is a good estimate with turbine PIC.

Furthermore, ozzieb88, you will need multi-engine turbine, perhaps on a twin squirrel (these chopper coppers can't go motoring around London at 500' of the deck in a single). Night time is a further requirement, I think 100 hrs PIC- that's when all the baddies come out in their ringers and you'll be chasing after 'em.

Witchdoctor and 5150 have made valid points, however, military is the best option as the Old Bill prefer the experience that the military gives. If you are under 25... the RAF is an option, under 27... the Royal Navy (this would be my preference.. they have a great diversity of twin (even triple) powered helis. The Army have the Apache of course, but I do not know much about age requirements etc.

If you do go the commercial route: integrated CPL c. £40-50 000
Frozen ATPL (H) Integrated, c. £80 000 (ouch:ooh: )

Then it would be advisable to do some multi-crew work out in The North Sea:eek: .. you'll love it!

All the best ozzieb.. but I must warn u I am fixed-wing, I don't DO rotary so have a word with a Proper chopper person for more advice:ok:

Oh yeah u asked for the pay, c.50-60k but you\'ll do it for the fun of it.. if you succeed the financial sacrifice is worth it.

ozzieb88
4th Jul 2004, 12:33
Thanks alot for the replies.

God seems way harder than airline commercial pilot! i think i'll go for that!

thanks anyway

witchdoctor
5th Jul 2004, 09:21
May God have mercy on your soul young man! ;)

Good luck though.

ozzieb88
13th Jul 2004, 11:02
I meant, go for commercial pilot! lol