PDA

View Full Version : Skilled migration: Pilot

AIRWAY
2nd Jul 2004, 12:57
Hello,

I read awhile ago a few people interested in migrating to Australia under skilled migration has Pilots, please read careful the message below, i think it was put up recently.

From CASA:

NOTE: In Australia there are currently more than 14,000 Commercial and ATPL pilots who are not employed as pilots. The Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs (DIMIA) is reviewing the requirement for the continued immigration of Pilots under the Skills Assessment for the Purposes of Migration (Aircraft Pilot, ASCO code 2541-11).

It is anticipated that in the near future, Aircraft Pilots will be removed from the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) which applies to applications lodged under the points-tested migration arrangements.

CASA has been advised that once the pilot occupation has been removed from the SOL, the change becomes effective immediately and no further applications will be processed by DIMIA under this category, including those already received and not yet finalised.

Due to the time and financial costs involved in converting an overseas licence to the Australian equivalent for migration skills assessment purposes, potential applicants should take these factors into consideration before deciding whether to convert their licence when this avenue may not be available

Sheep Guts
2nd Jul 2004, 23:46
Airway,
Very interesting I wonder where they get that figure from looks very inflated to me. Well if its true they can correct it to 13,999 as I am employed O/S but still on the books. I bet a fair fraction of that 14k would be the same.
So someone must of had a tuff time time converting in the UK and new someone in the Immigration Dept. heh.:}

Sheep

LateNightOps
8th Jul 2004, 15:52
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Type of Licence Current*

Aeroplane – Commercial 4,350
Aeroplane – Air Transport 6,046
Helicopter – Commercial 850
Helicopter – Air Transport 395
Ballon – Commercial 105
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Current figures are valid as at 30 June 2003, show only the highest level of licence held and include only those pilots who have a current medical certificate enabling them to exercise the privileges of the licence.

Well thats 11746 worth! Where are the 2254 pilots hiding then?

Steve76
9th Jul 2004, 13:40
That's CURRENT licences.
My ATPL(H) is not current. Add one.

Bird Strike
10th Jul 2004, 16:00
Well thats 11746 worth! Where are the 2254 pilots hiding then?

Working overseas and not needing Australian medical?
Retired?
Lost their medical?

???