PDA

View Full Version : Qantas sent me an E-mail for interview!

MochaSwirl
2nd Jul 2004, 11:03
More the 2 years in the waiting... Qantas finally sent me an E-mail to ask me to register on their phone service for an Interview!!!

I am sosos happy!! :D

On the E-mail it does say it is for fixed term employment .. what does that exactly mean :confused:

This is the actual quote

"Each engagement period will vary up to 10 months and will be offered on Qantas Fixed Term Flight Attendant Terms and Conditions"

Does anyone know what are the fixed term flight attendant terms and conditions for Qantas are?

Does that mean no benefits? Sick leave or something?

Thanks in advance :)

QFshort30
2nd Jul 2004, 11:51
I got one,too!! But they only sent me "No thank you" letter after I was on the shortlist for 18months.....:confused:
Is this only for Japanese speakers?? 10months contrat..... worth it??

MochaSwirl
3rd Jul 2004, 15:12
I guess it is worth it! Since I've waited for this opportunity for so long! ;)

Yeah, its for Cantonese, Manderine or Japanese speakers only.

It must have been very disappointing to find that they don't intend to hire you or anyone after 18 mths of waiting!! :(

Elle
6th Jul 2004, 00:26
That's great news, I know you have been waiting a long time, actually know you from another Forum. Well done.

Not enough people congratulating people getting a chance....

Good luck :D

QFshort30
6th Jul 2004, 09:19
I have decided not to go to the interview althought they even called me today for inviting me for the interview...

I have a full-time job and QF made very clear that there is NO full-time positon to be transfered after the contract.

No heart for QF anymore, eighter.

MochaSwirl
7th Jul 2004, 00:00
Thanks Elle for all your encouragement!!! :O

QFshort30... The phoned me as well, but left a msg on my mob.

I totally get what you mean... did you speak to them and they said there was NO WAY that it can be transfered to perm position? Thats what I was hoping too, but I'm happy with my offer regardless :)

leemo
9th Jul 2004, 01:22
BC,

Yep, good old king rat is gearing the company up with hundreds of strikebreakers.

But as a fixed term employee you are eligible to join the FAAA and therefore can go on strike like any other member of the union.

Some fixed term f/a's will think 'If I go on strike there is no way I will be given full time'.

Remember though that if you don't support the permanent crew then there will ne NO job at the end of your contract anyway. Have no doubt, Qantas will not recognise the fact you have helped them out. As an ex fixed term f/a I can guarantee you that. They will simply say "See you later", and your job as well as a thousand other Australian jobs will go overseas.

If you do support the FAAA though then at least we have fought to keep the jobs in Australia. And if we strike for long enough, the company will suffer so much financially the share holders are going to be asking Geoff Dixon if the overseas base is really such a good idea.

Maaaaaaaaate!
9th Jul 2004, 02:07
I really do feel sorry for these contractors. They will be 'used up' as Strikebreakers by the company and then 'spat out'. It will be really tough on them while we strike.

I can appreciate that these people have waited and waited for so long and would initially see this as an exciting opportunity of a life time. It will be more like a living nightmare.

I personally have always been dead against Industrial Action, but I have had enough. The company are playing dirty and I have every intention to stick it out.

QF need to learn to negociate, not dictate.

OZcabincrew
10th Jul 2004, 15:23
Hi !!!

To be honest, QF are being very sneaky indeed! I can't believe they actually had the nerve to offer these L/H fixed term contracts to current MAM casuals!!! The positions were initially offered to the people on the shortlist as a final offer after waiting 18 months where it was made quite clear that after the ten months there will definately be no job and they will need to start right at the begining again & by the sound of it not many accepted the offer and then it came to the current MAM casuals!!! So if there is no job at the end for the shortlisters, why would there be a job for the MAM casuals? That's disgusting!!! (I don't even think that the people that put in an expression of interest for the L/H contract in Perth even got a look at? Seemed to be mainly focused on the east coast guys?) I tell you what, QF are going to have to be very very careful. I understand it from a business point of view but.............If it suits your situation and you can give things up etc for ten months, then go for it! but in no way would you give up a full time job for just ten months, i guess it depends on the individual.

Leemo are you on a port swap in Perth? I was talking to one of our lovely CSM's who mentioned you were over here on a swap, it will be good to see you around the place!

Anyway, good luck to those of you who are taking the contract and good luck to those of you who aren't, i hope things work out either way!

Oz

AintNoMtnHiEnuff
11th Jul 2004, 01:04
"I can appreciate that these people have waited and waited for so long and would initially see this as an exciting opportunity of a life time. It will be more like a living nightmare."

Um..no..Maaaate...my stalled career as a Flight Attendant is not 'an opportunity of a lifetime' as you so euphemistically put it.

It's a job like any other. My passion. What I have devoted my time and energy to over the last decade.

And the living nightmare that you describe will surely be no worse than the previous two and half years post-AN collapse trying to feel the same passion for something else outside of this industry.

You make the best of a bad situation and move on- which may I suggest you (the ppruners tagging Contractors 'Strikebreakers') learn to do.

Management will not reverse this decision - deal with it.

You will be wasting your time and energy on directing your anger and frustration at the 'Strikebreakers' and will only highlight your inability to deal with change.

AintNoMtnHiEnuff
Flight Attendant/Strikebreaker
Qantas - The Spirit of "It's All About Me"