PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Log on problems

You splitter
2nd Jul 2004, 11:00
Ladies & Gents,

I have been having a rather harmless, if not annoying, problem ever since I purchased my new PC last month and I thought maybe it was time to throw it open for some adivce from PPruners.

When I start my machine it automatically logs into the default user account - administrator - as I have only one account. Everything appears to work OK except Norton Firewall which although set to autostart does not appear in the system tray. I checked the processes box and it is definately not running. I then launch it manually and it starts but with auto-protect disabled. When I try to enable it I get a windows message along the lines of ' Supervisor access only'.
If I then log off XP (not shut down or re-start) and then log on again with my one exsisting account, Norton Firewall starts automatically, is auto-enabled and I have all options available!

So far I have tried:
Turning guest account off
Looking at the users registery. I deleted a couple of files I didnt recognise which didn't go well with the PC so I did a system restore and back to normal now albeit with the same problem.

Any ideas folks!!!!

Thanks

ck4707
2nd Jul 2004, 11:11
a Little more info may be needed :

is Norton Firewall a standalone version or part of another package (eg Norton Internet Security) ?

What version is it ? (eg 2002, 2003 etc)

What version of XP are you running ?

CK

You splitter
3rd Jul 2004, 15:42
The Firewall is Norton Personel Firewall 2003 version 6.0.4.35.
The OS is XP Media Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 1.

Still cant seem to figure this one out.

Cheers
YS