PDA

View Full Version : Robinson R22/R44 Flight Sim

DualDriver
2nd Jul 2004, 08:27
Hi all

Does anybody know of or have info re. a flight sim based on the Robinson R22/R44 for training? I'm not talking about Microsoft FS, but the real thing. Also prices of such a sim?

Thanks

DD
:ok:

Shawn Coyle
2nd Jul 2004, 14:11
What do you want the sim to do?
If it's get the basics of learning to fly a helicopter, I'd recommend the Flyit device. It is based on FS2002, but the cockpit and visuals are really pretty good, and for the price, provides superb training.
It has no motion, but it has been selling quite well and is getting very close to European approval as an FNPT.
Otherwise, a true sim would be more expensive than the real thing. We've just been working on getting a data package for a sim manufacturer for another helicopter and just that package is worth over $250,000 - before they cut metal for the box. Motion is going to add significantly to the cost for a system that meets the 'simulator' requirements. And so on.
In my view, the visual system is the most important thing, and followed in order by math modeling that is close enough, and finally, way down the list is motion.

WhirlyGirl Sarah
2nd Jul 2004, 21:59
Dual Driver,

We use X-plane http://www.x-plane.com with this control unit (http://www.rcsimulations.com/copyprice.htm)

The software is great - more accurate to fly than any others i have come across, and with the virtual helicopter controls it is very realisic. Only thing missing really is the peripheral view and the motion, but I really think it has helped with both mine and my husband's training, particuarly the hovering!

The unit cost us about £600. It works on Mac and PC and in my opinion it was a valuable investment - not to mention the fun we have when our pilot friends come over and attempt to fly it!

Hope this helps,

WGS

DualDriver
4th Jul 2004, 06:22
Thanx Shawn & WhirlyGirl

Shawn, I have actually been looking at the FlyIt Device. In South Africa it has been fully certified and one can even do I.F Renewals on it, and it counts up to ten hours towards a PPL.

Problem is, I can't find the price. It is not on the website and the agents don't bother to reply to my e-mails.

As an instructor, I think this piece of equipment is great.

Prices on the FlyIt, Anybody?
:ok:

charlie s charlie
4th Jul 2004, 08:50
If you look at their cost justification here (http://www.flyit.com/PHjust.html) there is this paragraph:
Based on $105/hr student charge, less $25 instructor fees and $4 direct operating expense = $76/hr net profit, and
Assuming a monthly debt service of $ 1,687 (60 month, 5.9% APR/OAC lease, $1 simulator buy-out):

blave
5th Jul 2004, 05:39
Some notes on sims... Although I'm a rated pilot now I still sim a lot.

1. the Fly-It sim is based on FS2002, but ostensibly with modified flight models. I've flown one a couple times for a few minutes but I couldn't tell much difference in the flying characteristics as compared to the stock version (which I am pretty familiar with). The sim lists for about $100,000 although apparently most operators lease them.

2. http://www.flightlink.com/hardware/custom/vortex/index.html shows some R22-like hardware. It can be used with either FS2002/2004 or X-Plane. This is about $50K for what's shown. (Flight-Link also makes other helicopter controls; I have their cyclic/collective/pedals/seat setup and it's pretty good. Not outstanding, but pretty good.)

3. TRC/Simkits has announced an R22/R44 setup, and it looks mighty nice. It's not released yet though. (The advert claims that they're working on flight controls as well as the panel that's shown.) As far as I know their stuff only works with FS2004, although of course custom software could be written. http://www.simkits.com/announce.php. I have built several of the instruments shown in the R22/44 panel there, and in general they're pretty nice for the $. (They're also available pre-built.)

4. My personal opinion about X-Plane, at least w.r.t. version 7, is that the helicopter flight model is terrible.... Harder to fly than the real thing. But this is apparently very subjective because more than one person will swear that it blows away FS2004. I am not in that group, obviously.

If I was going to do some sort of commercial venture involving a helicopter simulator, I'd probably go for the Fly-It version. I think it's overpriced for what it is but then again they have some fairly amazing FAA certifications (including the ability to log up to 7 hours of VFR flight in it towards the private pilot certificate!).

have fun,

Dave Blevins

Helifan
5th Jul 2004, 08:20
DuelDriver, the people who I believe are marketing/supporting the FLYIT product is a helicopter operations company based in Durban and go by the name of STARLITE AVIATION (www.starheli.co.za).

I have been told that they have also been working closely with the FLYIT software develpers to continuously improve the product from a helicopters perspective. I am also told that STARLITE are known to have the most experienced pool of instructors (ex. miliatary) available so I sure these guys would provide accurate inputs for the software developers which I am sure results in a great product.

jote
5th Jul 2004, 09:46
I currently have a couple of Heli sims one based in Birmingham the other at Coventry airport. If anybody wants a demo or more info then take a look at www.itschaos.co.uk

I have just created the site and pasted in the first pic to hand, hopefully this gives you an idea of what I am building. Will put some more pictures and info up later.

Cheers:ok:

SimKing
5th Jul 2004, 20:41
Hi,
Just wondering how you go about logging hours when in a Sim (obviously one that is approved), I take it in order to log hours you must have an instructor present, but how do you prove it?? Do these sims have a Datcon (is that the right phrase- hours meter??).

Cheers
SimKing.

misunderstood
6th Jul 2004, 14:06
In Australia there is the requirement of a Hobbs meter to be electronically activated by flying activity within the simulator (and paused when the program is paused, etc). This time is logged and must be signed off by the instructor and the name of the pilot under instruction listed as well. Of course the times are reconciled with student log books if audited. This whole process must be documented in detail in the STOM. It should be shown that it would be difficult to tamper with the operation of the Hobbs meter, and in any case flight paths are recorded for each individual session as a further cross check for auditing.