PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar's A320 Proving Flights.

airsupport
1st Jul 2004, 21:28
New plane tested.

Friday, July 2

Pretend passengers touched down at Avalon Airport yesterday as budget airline Jetstar trialled the pride of its fleet, a new A320 Airbus.

The passengers carried bags stuffed with towels and blankets and flew out a few hours later.

They were willing accomplices helping Jetstar gain Civil Aviation Safety Authority permission to include Airbuses in its fleet.

``It's cost intensive, but we're required to do it,'' Jetstar corporate communications manager Simon Westaway said as he watched passengers file down the aircraft steps.

``They're test flights with passengers and simulated luggage, we ask some people to be cranky passengers or passengers in wheelchairs. We have to simulate a flying experience.''

Qantas staff on time off helped fill the planes. Qantas engineer Robert Bochno flew from Sydney to Avalon yesterday in the new A320 mainly to take his kids Nicholas, 8, Emily, 4, and Olivia, 2, for a spin.

``It was my first pretend flight,'' Mr Bochno said. ``The kids were making a bit of a mess in the plane but I said don't worry that will make it more realistic.''

http://www.geelonginfo.com.au/images/news/plane.jpg

Buster Hyman
1st Jul 2004, 22:56
we ask some people to be cranky passengers
How much does that job pay & where can I sign up???:E

airsupport
1st Jul 2004, 23:09
They should have asked for volunteers on PPRuNe.

There would be no shortage of cranky volunteers then..... ;) :ok:

Yorik Hunt
1st Jul 2004, 23:41
I think I know what Jetscab would have proved....

Yorik. I've tried being nice to you but you're simply too thick to learn.

Thread ban again this time. Next time it's the big red permanent ban button.

Woomera

Buster Hyman
2nd Jul 2004, 03:52
So? What were the results? Was it an A320????

TIMMEEEE
2nd Jul 2004, 03:59
Whilst not a huge Jetstar fan this sounds like a good idea - particularly for both ground and cabin staff to get used to a new aircraft and ground handling as well as the everyday whinging.

I believe it was QF and J* staff being used on the day and everyone was asked to critque and add their pound of Rindflesh.

airsupport
2nd Jul 2004, 04:25
It is a great idea from the point of view of their staff, for training etc, however I think you will find it is also necessary in order to get the A320 added to their AOC. ;)

We did the same thing at Southern Cross with the MD80s, including one proving flight up to TSV and CNS and return, with journalists, radio and TV personalities. :ok: