PDA

View Full Version : RAF Official Magazine

ppf
1st Jul 2004, 15:29
Hi all,

Just noticed recently in the shops issue 1 of the 'Official RAF Magazine' priced £3.50....................don't suppose this could be to raise funds due to the over spend!?

Any suggestions on other ways to raise cash rather than all the cut backs, sponsored pie eating in the martime world???

ppf :D

Twinact
1st Jul 2004, 21:08
Do you mean the 2004 RAF Yearbook?

If you do, how many RAF helicopters can you count in it?

How many RAF helicopters took part in Op TELIC according to the yearbook?

Answers on the back of a postage stamp!:) :)

Archimedes
1st Jul 2004, 22:37
Twinact,

No, there is a new glossy publication of this title.

I saw it in Smiths last week, did a double take and had a look at it. Seemed OK, if a little unsure of the target readership (articles for those aged six upwards). No, I wasn't tempted to buy...

Has an article on the Red Arrows, cutaway of the Typhoon (not the 1940s one!) and an article on the future of the RAF.

I think it's a commercial venture rather than something out of the MoD budget - probably with the publishers paying some premium to MoD to claim to be the official magazine.

Always_broken_in_wilts
1st Jul 2004, 22:45
Does sort of make you think what this all costs from the public purse...................bit like Radio Lyneham now there was money well spent:E ......cheers Ray:}

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Trumpet_trousers
1st Jul 2004, 22:51
"Has an article on the Red Arrows, cutaway of the Typhoon (not the 1940s one!) and an article on the future of the RAF. "

That'll be about 6 pages in total then; 4 on the Reds, 1.5 for the Typhoon, and .5 for the future.....

Twinact
2nd Jul 2004, 09:47
Archimedes,

Thanks for the clarification, however, I have seen the 2004 Yearbook and can't understand its complete lack of SH? It hasn't exactly been a quiet year for us has it?

Anyone out there been involved with the yearbook care to comment on the content.:cool:

woptb
2nd Jul 2004, 10:45
Lyneham, (once all superfluous tarmac has been removed !) would make an excellent cabbage come cauliflower patch. A ready market is available locally (must remember to put in a few rows of crunchy carrots !) .
I believe this would net a useful profit for their airships purse .
This combined with magazine profits might then allow us to stretch to a new staff car or at least a fleet wide valet !

PPRuNeUser0172
2nd Jul 2004, 10:55
I was quite surprised when I saw this in W H Smith's but it looks like a fairly good mag, lots of nice pics etc. Not quite sure how long they can keep it going for though, with only about 2 front line sqns left after this white paper its gonna run out of material quite quickly!

Anyway, i hope that the RAF are getting some money from it.

Alex Whittingham
2nd Jul 2004, 13:39
link (http://www.titanbooks.com/raf/)

Exmil
2nd Jul 2004, 14:14
Great link AW. I'll bet it doesn't mention the Red's possible demise.
It also (amusingly) features "Then and Now: pivotal moments in the history of the RAF explored". When is the white paper due..?

StopStart
2nd Jul 2004, 16:02
Can't wait to get my issue! From the website:

Behind-the-headlines features including how RAF personnel juggle high profile careers with being Olympic athletes!

I have enough trouble juggling life as a single mother of 7, international man of mystery, God's gift to aviation and a bronzed Adonis. Now they're going to blow the gaff on how I cope with being an Olympic athlete too!?!?
Is nothing sacred anymore??

Also:

• Famous planes: Cutaways and features on the planes

Expecting some handy woodworking tips then!

What a bumper issue it's going to be!

:D

allan907
2nd Jul 2004, 16:14
Does Western Australia qualify for "reast of the world"??

I know that some of our inhabitants have dubious personal habits but.......:{

BEagle
2nd Jul 2004, 17:22
Hmm....

Soft, strong and thoroughly absorbent, one presumes......

Pontius Navigator
2nd Jul 2004, 18:52
Anyone seen the new RAF Today CD? 7 and a half minutes of non-stop action fair makes you dizzy. No scene longer than 5 seconds and that the Typhoon. Don't recall any red Hawks.

Now I'll spoil it for you all. The opening shot is of Cyclops.

Poor sod, probably off the e3, has a sceptic spot dead centre on his nose between his eyes. See it once and you never forget that spot.

Makes me ashamed to give it out <g>

Twinact
2nd Jul 2004, 19:06
Sounds like the CD was filmed by the same crew who gave us 'Combat Pilot'!

Any helos at all in the CD?

:8

BEagle
2nd Jul 2004, 19:37
Any what?

:E

Oh - Helos! Sorry, thought you meant heroes !!

Or maybe you meant Helo-heroes? Bit of a shock to many in the pointy head FJ world to learn how many DFCs and other decorations were won by non-FJ aircrew.

And that's only the publicised ones....

Helos might be as ugly as sin, but what they and their crews do at times is pretty amazing!

Twinact
3rd Jul 2004, 07:19
Thank you Beags,

My point entirely, we might not be sexy, but in terms of 'delivering military capability' (to borrow a phrase from the current CAS) we pull our weight within the Royal Air Force!

So why aren't we recognised by our own service in its PR Mag - are we an embarrassment?

Some will recall a documentary made in the 90s in Bosnia abou the SH Force entitled 'The Cinderellas' - it seems we still haven't lost that tag.

Hopefully those in the upper echelons of MOD Corporate Communications won't forget their heritage and do better next time.

Soap box tucked away under the stairs again.:mad:

Hydraulic Palm Tree
3rd Jul 2004, 07:51
We're not in it because the RAF has effectively disowned us. It is a matter of time until the SH world is totally sold down the river and Strike Command couldn't give a monkey's.

Time for another SH mate to become CinC or CAS me thinks.

HPT:sad:

Gainesy
3rd Jul 2004, 11:29
One notes from the link that another of the magazines on offer from this publisher is "Buffy the Vampire Slayer".

:rolleyes:

J.A.F.O.
3rd Jul 2004, 18:05
Gainsey

Is that about early post-war jets?

Gainesy
4th Jul 2004, 06:22
They prolly have a supplement called "Buffhoon the Forces Slayer".

:(

Pontius Navigator
4th Jul 2004, 14:00
Twinact,
I am not that bored that I want to watch it again but I believe there are a few chopper pics with a lot of brown jobs that rather wish they weren't in the pic. I guess you normally see them with those sexy black rectangluar sun glasses.

Twinact
4th Jul 2004, 16:53
Pontius,

Thanks, I'll definitely want to get out now - will it be in my local video shop?