PDA

View Full Version : Airservices flawed charging model

Bevan666
1st Jul 2004, 08:42
So far it appears that airservices are trying to implement charges based on weight.

Why not charge on the basis of the number of movements.

For example, moorabbin airport;

Last year it did 235,000 movements and cost $2.3mil to operate.

Thats $9.75 per movement. This is a long long way from $45 per tonne.

(From the airservices data a 'movement' is the sum of arrivals plus circuits x 2)

(The total tonnage number seems a tad out for moorabbin as well. At 50,000 tonnes landed per year, and around 235000 movements thats an average of 460 kg per landing. Thats got to be wrong by at least a factor of 2!)

Based on movements charges should be;

Airport Cost / Movement
Moorabbin $9.76
Essendon $52.46
Melbourne $165.43
Bankstown $12.08
Sydney $227.34
Camden $13.64
Archerfield $18.15
Parafield $18.37
Jandakot $7.89
Perth $216.61

Why was the tonnage model chosen? It reduces the total cost to the heavy end of the market. For your average 75 tonne Boeing 737, the difference in charges at sydney airport would be an extra $121 per operation for a movement based charge rather than a weight based charge. For melbourne its an extra $86.

If you brought your 737 to Moorabbin, the cost would be a hefty $3100 MORE under a weight based system, rather than movement based.

(My figures are based on costs and tonnages for 'Year 1' and the movement statistics for 2003. (Movements are only during tower hours).

A spreadsheet is available for anyone wishing to check my figures.

Bevan..

prop-wash
1st Jul 2004, 21:52
Your maths is no doubt correct, however if you were doing circuits at any of the airports with AsA controllers, the landing fee is charged only once per sortie. i.e you can do 20 circuits in a session and only get charged the one landing fee. Imagine if you got charged per circuit, give the student incentive to get it right I guess.
P-W

Bevan666
1st Jul 2004, 23:03
Who is to say that charging by tonne will not include circuits?

It could also be said that it is the amount of circuit traffic which dictates the need for a tower at all. Why shouldn't those doing circuits have to pay for what they use?

Bevan..