PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Job while working Part time?

TurbineDreamer
1st Jul 2004, 03:33
Wondering if any of you have had success in getting a job with an airline - majors or regionals while only working Part time as a pilot to get your hours up.
Just wondering if they hold it against you for not working F/T while building your hours. ie, only working weekends as an instructor or jump pilot.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

drshmoo
1st Jul 2004, 13:22
I can't see (or hope) that the airline recruitment gods could deferentiate between candidates that only have part time employment.
Maybe I'm wrong but isnt there a significant number of non northern pilots on casual wages and therefor not fulltime?
I miss my old jobs full time wage but sometimes to advance in your career you have to undertake a part time flying job. Isn't it about progression? Maybe if we knew the answers we'd be there

esreverlluf
2nd Jul 2004, 00:30
No problems with that - worked for me. Part time instructing / part time other (slightly) better paid career, now in airline job.

Having said that though, I would recommend getting the 500 in command as fast as possible in order to get an application in and then consider your options. Also be ready to explain why in an interview.

As I understand it - all of the initial hoops - HSC, minimum hours, stage 1, sim ride, etc are simply filtering tools and largely impersonal (unless you are obviously completely unsuitable). Should you get as far as the final interview then you are effectively in, just as long as you don't talk them out of hiring you during that interview.

Beats me how blokes can survive on GA wages only.

splatgothebugs
3rd Jul 2004, 00:34
Yet OZ GA wages are up to 100% more than Kiwi wages part time or full time.

If they hit you up on why you were part time, just tell them you had to eat ;)

splat:ok: