PDA

View Full Version : Helicopters - the horse of today?

steamchicken
30th Jun 2004, 15:42
A few thoughts (Semi-serious).

Analogies between the horse in the armies of the past and the helicopter today are frequent. One that is rarely raised is the logistical angle. Horsedrawn or mounted forces faced one overriding logistic problem - fodder. A horse eats roughly 10 times as much by weight daily as a man. If the stuff had to be transported by horse-drawn vehicle, a considerable proportion of it would be eaten by the horses moving it. As the armies of the world began to industrialise from the 1860s onward, the number of horses in a formation actually rose until 1914. In the 1914 campaigns, the mass of beasts and especially their own huge logistic requirement was a serious problem for all parties. To a considerable extent, the cavalry of 1914 were handicapped in their more relevant role as reconnaissance and mounted infantry not by fire but by logistics.

Large hopes are currently placed in helicopters for mobility, for logistic transport and for firepower. Will horselike logistic problems disappoint everybody? Famously, US Apaches operating in Iraq were known to consume one C-17 load per helicopter. As they are intended to operate from FARPs near the land fighting, these supplies must be transhipped forward by land transport, C130 or support helicopter, creating further logistic requirements. In the Falklands, the shortage of support helicopters was a serious problem. When more arrived aboard Atlantic Causeway, a new problem immediately opened up as, according to Commodore Clapp, the helicopters "drank immense amounts of fuel".

Thoughts? Flames?

airborne_artist
30th Jun 2004, 16:14
A very interesting issue, well brought-up!

Helos don't just drink fuel, thay also require huge amounts of maintenance.

Maintainers need food, protection and mobility (by transport helicopter, perhaps, if the front is fast-moving).

Discuss...

Spot 4
30th Jun 2004, 16:50
Horses dont and never have rescued Jet Jocks pucking over the side of their dinghy after a Martin Baker letdown, therefore the cost of such machines is inexpensive.

Helicopters do take men and supplies to the fighting front and bring dead and dying back to field hospitals. ...and as they can almost land anywhere and do the job in effective time, they are inexpensive.

..... and above all else, they are b100dy good fun to work in. 50`agl on goggles with a pongo Lynx next to you so close that you sh1t yourself watching it, bring it on:

...... oh forgot; I will still have a job in August!

Trumpet_trousers
30th Jun 2004, 18:24
.....helos don't produce a natural by-product that will help your roses grow in the garden....

airborne_artist
30th Jun 2004, 19:48
...but helos do produce the best by-product of all:

the smell of burning JetA1 and the noise is just fantastic.

Discuss....

Trumpet_trousers
30th Jun 2004, 20:33
Does the analogy bear further examination?

Everyone knows that a horse, or at least a police horse, has a c*nt halfway up it's back......

Discuss....:ok:

Gainesy
1st Jul 2004, 07:10
There must be something good about horses or the British Army would not have more horses than helos.

airborne_artist
1st Jul 2004, 07:30
There must be something good about horses or the British Army would not have more horses than helos

Auntie Liz and her family like horses more than they like helos, and it's her Army.

Discuss...

scientia in alto
1st Jul 2004, 12:13
when was the last time you saw a horse win the best display at an airshow?

... I put to you the current Chinook display 2004

However, the highlight of the RAF's contribution had to be the two Chinook HC2s that were displayed in the flying and static displays. The departure of the static example was a spectacualr example of the taxying abilities of the large helicopter backing away from the fence standing on it's rear wheels before lifting and flicking round. But the new solo display from 18 sqn simply stole the limelight in the flying display show the unique characteristics of this heavy lift helicopter and some superb agility. The wheelie landing and reverse take off on the main runway is perhaps the party piece of the Chinook. It's a welcome return for the Chinook, particular after so long away from the display

http://www.airshows.org.uk/2004/airshows/kemble/review.html

SIA

Gainesy
1st Jul 2004, 12:30
Stick him in for the dressage at Hickstead?:)

scientia in alto
1st Jul 2004, 12:49
Sorry did I forget to mention, or rather you failed to read the link... there were many other RAF displays including the Red Arrows at a high quality event, and who stole the show? One of the most unglamorous however extremely capable machines present. If you are lucky enough to catch the Chinook display this year, just check the reaction from the paying public and the respect from the other display pilots in the aircrew enclosure... if you're entitled gainsey.

allan907
1st Jul 2004, 15:19
By far the majority of horses were driven by the lowest ranks with just the occasional officer mounted on a thoroughbred. The Army still have quite a percentage of helicopter drivers non-commissioned. So why does the RAF persist in having only expensive officer drivers?

exits stage right bloody smartish ==========>>>>>>:E

Gainesy
1st Jul 2004, 15:39
SIA,

Tongue was in cheek mate.

Not seen this year's Chinook show, is he/she as good as Bograt's was?

airborne_artist
1st Jul 2004, 16:13
By far the majority of horses were driven by the lowest ranks with just the occasional officer mounted on a thoroughbred

Horses are herd animals - they all follow the one in front. So long as the cavalry guy can balance, he doesn't need to steer or brake....

So why does the RAF persist in having only expensive officer drivers

Not only that, they are close to insisting that they are all graduates. My first instructor had joined the RN with five O-levels, at 17, and was flying a Phantom off a carrier at just under 20 years of age. Way to go.....

allan907
2nd Jul 2004, 02:31
Bograt - last heard of flying for the cops.

Lost touch since me and the galactic ruleress parted company. Bograt - if you're out there under an assumed name then PM me or ask G for my email address!

Al

Gainesy
2nd Jul 2004, 06:51
Alan,
M does not come on here much but I'll Email him & give a heads up for your post.

malreeves
2nd Jul 2004, 08:30
I'm still around and not hiding behind a sudo/psy/pshu....assumed name!! Otherwise engaged on the odd pursuit in South Yorkshire. One of my crew was at Waddo' t'other weekend and commented on the display, which is every bit as good as I probably remember knowing the Pilot concerned!

During my three years throwing the mighty Wokka about it always got a great crowd response and sometime compliments from the fraught-jet community. I still treasure the look on the faces of the "Reds" when I delivered them to an anniversary party following RIAT, a big wing-over with the crewman ramp-riding was obviously far too dangerous for their little pink bodies to endure.

Ho hum, happy days. Now back to reality and dealing with the Campaign Againt Aviation.

Cheers

Mal

allan907
2nd Jul 2004, 16:03
Mal,

Check your PMs

Al