PDA

View Full Version : Help with FAA/JAR question

BritishGuy
30th Jun 2004, 15:40
Can someone please help with a discussion on www.flyforums.com

I'm locked in discussion with someone who thinks you can get a JAR ATPL if you have 1500hrs of multicrew time, and then only have to take 2 of the 14 exams. I beg to differ.

I think that you need 3000hrs of command time on aircraft heavier than 30,000kg AUW and then only 2 exams are need to convert. I've looked up LASORS, all a bit giberish to me.

Any help? Check the link:

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=36073 (http://)

High Wing Drifter
30th Jun 2004, 16:03
There is something strange like that in JAA. I think it is if you have >1500 then there are no theory reqs. If >500 then flight planning and one other are required!! I will need to re-read as I am uncertain ATM.

BillieBob
30th Jun 2004, 16:33
I think that what you are referring to is this:

ATPL(A) holders who have a minimum of 1500 hours flying experience as PIC or Co-pilot on multi-pilot aeroplanes (or single-pilot aeroplanes operated by 2-pilots according to operational requirements) and hold a valid multi-pilot type rating for the aeroplane to be used for the ATPL(A) skill test and have at least 500 hours experience as pilot on that type, will be exempted from the requirements to complete an approved TRTO course or undergo approved training prior to undertaking the theoretical knowledge examinations and the skill test. Pilots with less than 500 hours experience as pilot on the type to be used for the ATPL(A) skill test will be exempted from the requirements to undergo approved training prior to undertaking the theoretical knowledge examinations but will still be required to complete an approved type rating course. However, the course may be reduced to take account of previous experience on the same type upon recommendation by the TRTO to PLD.

This exempts you from the approved course of training but not from the examinations.

To be exempt the examinations, you need in excess of 3,000 hours flying experience as pilot of public transport aircraft over 30,000kgs MTWA on scheduled international or similar routes, including a minimum of 1,500 hours as Pilot-in-Command (Captain). In this case, you will get a JAA ATPL(A) but it'll restricted to UK registered aeroplanes and you'll still need to pass all the exams to get that restriction removed.