PDA

View Full Version : Qantas A330 Pod Strike

mr anderson
30th Jun 2004, 10:01
It was reported today in Melbourne that a A330 had a pod strike in Melbourne while attempting to land on Rwy 34. Causes: possible windshear due to howling Northerly? Or just wrong place at right time!! :confused:

Can anyone confirm this!!

bombshell
30th Jun 2004, 12:40
Where was it "reported"?

Keg
30th Jun 2004, 14:24
A 'howling northerly' generally doesn't result in much cross wind on 34! ;)

Pimp Daddy
30th Jun 2004, 14:46
Was a ground accident.

The brand spankers A330-300 QPF (which hasn't even done a revenue sector yet) was being towed from hanger to terminal when apparently towbar broke and aircraft basically ran over the tug.

Major muntage to #1 intake cowl.

Cool banana
30th Jun 2004, 15:16
The Aircaft involved wa VH-QPF on its virgin revenue service and it didnt quite make it to the terminal. Three very shaken engineers escaped ok.But serious damage to the left engine nose cowl and to the left nose wheel..aircraft was towed back to the A330 hanger

bombshell
30th Jun 2004, 22:13
Mr Anderson.......with your style of reporting and only partially correct facts, you should write for the newspapers! ;)

The_Cutest_of_Borg
30th Jun 2004, 23:06
... and that, in a nutshell sums up so much of what goes on in this forum.

Mr Anderson (an axe to grind perhaps, or one of the "my mob is better than your mob, so there..." brigade) blurts out breathless "news" of something he has absolutely no knowledge of, and at the same time tries to cast aspersions on a crew that didn't even exist...

Bombshell, you said it all....

Watchdog
30th Jun 2004, 23:31
Mister Anderson.......I've been expecting you.

(first caller to name title and artist wins the prize)
:D :D :D

mr anderson
1st Jul 2004, 11:21
Thanks Pimp Daddy for shedding some light on the subject!! It just goes to show that the grapevine is not always accurate. Lucky the engo's were not injured!!
Bomshell + The_Cutest_of_Borg you seem to have all the facts, so instead of keeping it to yourself why dont you share the facts with all of us!!! After all this is a Rumour forum. Or are you are a Q loyalist?? :8:8

Capn Bloggs
1st Jul 2004, 11:55
So after the towbar broke, the jet continued on for another 20m before running over the tug? I assume that, because the brake-rider wouldn't be able to see the tug over the nose, that the tug driver and he/she were in radio contact thru the intercom and probably would've heard the call "BRAKES"?!

Perhaps the tugs now need those long flag poles and bright orange flags the Toorak Tractors have at minesites so the drivers of 250t Haul-Packs don't squash them without even seeing them...

I guess there will be more to the story but...

And Mr Anderson, good to see your spinning on this subject is as accurate as your's on NAS!

bombshell
1st Jul 2004, 12:31
Mr Anderson

The grapevine on most occasions is lucky if it is even 50% accurate, however you decided half cocked to run with sensational reporting.......hence my comments!

Am I a Q loyalist? Well up to a point, I am not so blinkered as not to realise that they too can make a misstake!

Roadrunner
1st Jul 2004, 12:42
Oh no, not another Q overrun.
Sorry, couldn't resist.:eek:

The_Cutest_of_Borg
2nd Jul 2004, 02:58
Mr A, no I don't have all the facts. Neither, palpably, do you.

The difference is that I wasn't trying to discredit a crew of ANY company with a line like "poor x-wind technique", without being in full possesion of those aforementioned facts.

Maybe you should take a deep breath and sit on your hands next time you feel the urge to type something you have absolutely no knowledge of?

ReadMyACARS
2nd Jul 2004, 05:21
Any idea on how long it will take to repair QPF?

BTW what happend to QPD and QPE? Do they exist?

Thanks

RMA

MoFo
2nd Jul 2004, 05:51
No wonder the Engineers were shaken. The brake rider didn't if the story is correct.

The azz kicking party should be a hoot.

Going Nowhere
2nd Jul 2004, 08:00
ReadMyACARS

QPE arrived in MEL last night and QPD is apparently still in France doing testing for Airbus, not due for another few months yet.

Someone else will probably have some more up to date info.

bombshell
2nd Jul 2004, 08:14
Is there any truth in the rumour that one of the 300s had a tail strike whilst being test flown by Airbus a couple of months ago?

amos2
2nd Jul 2004, 09:23
How does that old saying go?...

"he who protests too much!"

737 guru
4th Jul 2004, 10:37
just for those that are interested in the facts.....

Tow bar shear-pin failed going up a slight incline which when you come down the other side causes the A/C to try and overtake the tug.

Tow bar then failed totally causing separation from tug (poor design and being investigated).

communication between tug and A/C was comprimised by headset lead pulling tight and self disconnecting during incident.

Guys stood down during investigation, all good and back at work.

Aircraft now flying with robbed nose cowl.

everyone involved very lucky.

:D :D :D :D