PDA

View Full Version : jaa atpl conversion

trot
27th May 2004, 11:24
i am in the process of converting a foreign atpl into the jaa atpl with the caa.

about to finish my written exams i have to take a flight skill test on an aircraft i am rated on. this needs to be done with a caa examiner.

has anyone done this before, was the scheduling the caa examiner a hassle.
has anyone done this at a training facility in the usa, with a caa examiner.
are there caa examiner available in the usa.
has anyone done this in the course of a typerating training.

any help greatly appreciated.

cheers trot

moggie
27th May 2004, 12:08
Try speaking to a UK based training provider or someone in the US who has a connection with the UK.

I can only give you one US based name off the top of my head and that is Ormond Beach Aviation - they have a scheme which partners with The Flight Centre at Wolverhampton to convert FAA to JAA.

www.flyoba.com

tel 386 673 9862

redsnail
27th May 2004, 14:25
You may need to do a search on the CAA's website regarding approved TRTO's, especially if you're in the States.
Now for the fun part, I honestly don't know if there's any CAA examiners in the States who can observe your check ride. It is a pain to organise and more often than not, you have to organise it.
It's not simple and it isn't a fast process. (in the UK)

BillieBob
27th May 2004, 20:42
trot - as is so often the case, you do not give sufficient information in your question to attract the correct response. I take it that you are not seeking a JAA CPL/IR.

I assume that you have more than 500 hours experience in a multi-pilot type and that you are intending to take the ATPL Skill Test on that type in order to get a JAA ATPL based on your FAA ATPL.

If this is the case, the test must be observed by a Flight Ops Training Inspector from the CAA, of which there are few - maybe one or two per type. None is based in the USA and the costs of arranging for one to observe a test in the USA would probably be prohibitive - for a start, you'd have to pay for a round-trip Business Class ticket as well as all accommodation and subsistence costs, and then there's the charge-out rate......

You can complete an approved multi-pilot type rating course and have the examiner observe the Licensing Skill Test, which is essentially the same as the ATPL Skill Test, but the same deal applies - it's too expensive to be a realistic option in the USA.

moggie - One recommendation for that organisation might be considered an error of judgement, two in the same day begins to look like marketing. In any case, assuming that we're talking JAA ATPL, it's not a realistic option in trot's case - what a lucky escape!