PDA

View Full Version : Coltishall - futures

Arclite01
29th Jun 2004, 19:41
I see in this months copy of FLYER that Colt is being considered for a Chinook base

What a great idea !!!

But is it just shop talk or is the idea really a go'er ?

What do you guys think ?

Arclite

FJJP
29th Jun 2004, 22:11
You and your big mouth! Now you've torn it! The bean counters will see that it makes sense to move all the Chinooks to Colt and close Odiham. Think of that luverly slab of real estate ripe for sale to developers about 2 miles from the M3 on the doorstep of London. Sacre Bleu! The cash possibilities! The savings to the defence budget! I can't stop drooling!

VP959
30th Jun 2004, 05:47
FJJP,

I think you'll find that others within the centre have already come to the same conclusion about the value of the land at Odiham...................... 'Twas on the infamous list of potential closures I understand.

Titan Locked
30th Jun 2004, 07:16
I have been led to believe that Odiham was one of those bases built on land given to the military during the 2nd WW on the understanding that if we were to give it up it was to be returned to the (estate of the) original owner in its original condition ie without a runway, hangers, POL spillages etc etc and one of the reasons (when the bean counters found out!) it survived the "chop" at the last attempt....

Let's hope so!

TL

Training Risky
30th Jun 2004, 12:04
Lets hope Odiham stays. A recent report from some thinktank rated the 'quality-of-life' index here the highest in Britain!

PPRuNeUser0172
30th Jun 2004, 12:29
latest rumour i have heard is that XI(F) are for the chop and Chinooks to Leeming. Nice and near to Catterick!

Totally agree with Mr Risky though, apparently, Odiham is the happiest mess in the corps!

Hueymeister
1st Jul 2004, 21:34
Allegedly 1 sqn of Jags will be saved and go to RAF Lincolnshire, Colt will close, Odiham will close and move the Chinooks et al to Leeming, Pumas & Gazelles will all go.

What about Benson?

BEagle
1st Jul 2004, 21:41
Bring ULAS back and make it an EFTS base?

Be a bit of a bugger to move that simulator though....

Hueymeister
1st Jul 2004, 22:41
Just do a 'Wyton' and keep the station and fence off the runway...that is until they move an AEF/UAS back there!!!!!!

CatpainCaveman
1st Jul 2004, 22:53
Heard a similar thing re Leeming from 2 senior EngOs. I asked them if they had heard anything about a rumour of CHinooks going to Colt - would be very good on a personal note if they did.

Without any prompting or hesitation they both came back with no, everything that survives the chop is off to Leeming. Kind of makes sense I know, but it's Yorkshire for God's sake! Being a Mancunian, how do I explain that one to my parents??? Will bring shame on the family!

arfur-sixpence
2nd Jul 2004, 09:33
I have heard from a number of sources that some or all of the Jaguar fleet is destined for Leeming.

That said, basing the heli fleet there would make alot of sense given it's proximity to the customer - so we can rest assured that THAT won't happen then!

whowhenwhy
2nd Jul 2004, 09:35
Don't worry catpain, Leeming won't last much longer. Remember, 10 Super MOBs!! Last Jags to go to Leeming once 11 goes, Colt to close etc. Can't see them dumping 3 sqns worth of fast-jet single seat aircrew all in one go. Maybe one sqn, with the rest to go to Leeming and then slowly phase it out and close Leeming when you lose the Jag! Any other ideas anyone?

Jackonicko
2nd Jul 2004, 10:19
I believe that Colt and Leeming will go sooner than people expect, with the Jags moving to Coningsby and phasing out as Typhoon phases in.

6foottanker
3rd Jul 2004, 15:59
Benson's going too! Last sqn of recce Jags are going to Marham, apparently.

sooms
4th Jul 2004, 20:07
From what I understand. Jag Force will reduce in size to one large Sqn, presumably with a OCU flt? and relocate to Coningsby, there to remain until Typhoon finally comes on line.
As regards Colt itself, having worked with SH and Jag, Colt would need massive amounts of money to bring it up to spec in technical and domestic accomodation. Quite frankly, the station infastructure is falling apart. Very little money has been spent on it for ages- apart from the 250k pilots feeder that is!
Also, the local populace, although quite friendly, would not take too well to the amount of night flying SH do (Colt only night flies Oct-Mar).
My bets on Leeming- Colt to become an Asylum seekers reception centre!

Vortex_Generator
4th Jul 2004, 20:15
"Last sqn of recce Jags are going to Marham, apparently."

WHERE??

arfur-sixpence
5th Jul 2004, 10:48
maybe a Tornado sqn will get the boot to make way. Any more space at Lossie?