PDA

View Full Version : 'Right click' puzzle

BOAC
29th Jun 2004, 19:16
Yet another weird W2000 problem in the hope that someone will know what has happened.

My Computer - left click on a hard drive - right click - select 'properties'.......and nothing happens? Where on earth is THAT setting please? I am missing the ability to do a disc check because of this.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Jun 2004, 04:56
BOAC,

I do not know why your Right Click is not working, but if you need your disk tools, go:

Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools

In there you will find Defrag.

If you are looking for Checkdisk, you will find it in your System32 folder.

Then there is:

Start >> Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Computer Management >> Disk Management

Where as long as the drive is highlighted, you can click on Properties on the top toolbar and access Error Checking from there. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

BOAC
2nd Jul 2004, 16:54
NAC - sorry for delay - thank you - amazing what devices you find when you are shown!

Out of interest, I have no 'properties' in the file options there either! Something is amiss:{

Naples Air Center, Inc.
3rd Jul 2004, 14:29
BOAC,

Try booting into Safe Mode and see if you can right click there. Also try another mouse and update your current mouse drivers.

Take Care,

Richard

BOAC
3rd Jul 2004, 17:30
Will try the safe mode, NAC, but the problem is not the mouse, I fear, the right click works, it is the menu that doesn't!

E-Liam
3rd Jul 2004, 18:33
Hi BOAC,

What mouse have you got, standard PS2 or a third party one.. Logitech for example. Also, do you get the full compliment of right click choices when used on, say a web page, desktop or word doc?

Cheers

Liam

BOAC
4th Jul 2004, 16:42
I have to confess, E-Liam, to the fact that as of this PM I have full file options!!!:{

I do not understand it! All that has happened since yesterday (when I did not) is an install of the latest MS update (KB870669).

The symptoms were that all menu items ran ok on all but drive 'properties' when accessed from a right-click on the drive in My computer or file explorer, but all other menu items on non-drive (eg .doc's etc) were OK. Mouse is a 3-button PS2 'Media Tech' bought for a few euros in Madrid, I think, but have just been given a Logitech wireless KB and optical mouse for me birfday!:D

BTW, did you get the files I sent via PM regarding the slow-up?