PDA

View Full Version : Question for BBMF Lancaster crew

Navaleye
29th Jun 2004, 18:56
I went to see my Uncle at the w/e, He flew in just about every bomber aircraft type in WW2. He was a nav. He said something that surprised me a little. He said the lanc was stressed for catapult launching. Apparently Avro came up with the idea in case the runways got bombed and shortened. I'm not aware of it ever being tried.

Anyone else heard this? Anyone in BBMF fancy trying it?

SilsoeSid
29th Jun 2004, 20:08
Perhaps it was the Avro Manchester that was tried with catapult launch.

It was known to be underpowered and if I remember correctly, the experiments were starting, until someone in the Avro design team came up with an upgrade.

They strengthened the airframe, (perhaps thats when the catapult tests were carried out), added 2 engines and renamed it the Lancaster.

Only about 160 Manchesters were built, all of which were converted.

Hope it's of some help. Would like to see BBMF have a go still!!

Skylark4
29th Jun 2004, 22:19
There was an experimental catapult built at Harwell but I don't think it was lancs that were fired off it. I'll try and find a link.

Mike W

http://home.freeuk.net/rmarg/harwell_catapult.htm

Archimedes
29th Jun 2004, 22:36
Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113848&perpage=15&highlight=catapult%20lancaster&pagenumber=2) is one of the posts (look at the posting by Forget on 4th Jan 04 )

I seem to think that the specification from the Air Ministry called for a large bomber that could be launched from a catapult - presumably an idea ignored and then overtaken by RATO/JATO?

Also, I have a very, very, very dim recollection that the spec that led to the Short Stirling may have called for the airframe to be able to stand up to catapult launch.

Edited to add: Quick google search suggests that the spec that led to the Stirling (B12/36) did call for the facility for catapult launching; in addition, a now-defunct aviation magazine called 21st Profile contained the following in Volume 1 No 6:

An Ill Fated Bird": The Avro Manchester (7 3-view line drwgs, catapult launch trolley drwg, flight refuelling tanker drwgs, 3 fuselage section drwgs); Specification B.12/36 (8 3-view line drwgs, 5 internal details drwgs);

Navaleye
29th Jun 2004, 23:02
Thanks everyone, very much appreciated. Just as an aside, my uncle's rear gunner "Wally" (still alive) actually flew in the Wellington that is being restored at Brooklands. It took part in the first 1000 bomber raid on Cologne. I have on occasion been to the North Herts aircrew association get togethers. An amzaing but declining bunch of aviators and gentlemen. Thanks again.

allan907
30th Jun 2004, 02:44
In the definitive work on the Lancaster "Lancaster - The Story of a Famous Bomber" by Bruce Robertson it quotes -

"Meanwhile, at Harwell, work started in 1938 on the installation of the catapult was going ahead. This too had its snags and in the fall of 1939 it was abandoned in favour of a new RAF catapult development for frictionless take-off using a long truck with trolleys for mounting aircraft. The wheels fitted into cradles and the tail was held by struts, in the flying attitude."

and,

"Meanwhile L7246 was being tried on the catapult. A Handley Page Heyford was tried first and took the air in a seemingly effortless manner. The Manchester, however, at 37,000lb, was three times the Heyford's weight. There was not a little difficulty in cradling it into the trolleys and considerable apprehension as the area was cleared for the first demonstration. There were sighs of relief as the monster, with its Vultures roaring, was literally hurled from Farnborough. But after having proved the feasibility of launching bombers thus, the project lapsed"

A picture of a Manchester rigged on the catapult at Farnborough in 1942 appears on page 12 of the publication.

Because of the power limitations of the Manchester, pilots preferred a fast landing with the attendant risks of overshooting, to the possibility of a stall on the approach. Arrester gear was therefore tried and experiments brought a Manchester to rest from 72mph in 460 yards. One hundred and twenty sets were ordered for airfields in 1942 but, as with the catapult, the idea lapsed.