PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to get experience on a t-prop before approaching the Bigger boys?

SkYfEvEr
29th Jun 2004, 18:04
Hi guys, am doing as much research as I can b4 I approach the Financial Sharks:} .

This may be a very debateable one; Is it better to obtain experience on a turbo prop aircraft first before going on to the beautiful t-fan birds?

Ofcourse if the opportunity comes to join a major airline flying the big birds by all means go for it.......but I can't but remember what a B747 captain once told me....''I would love to fly that B1900c over there'' pointing to one refuelling......

You see am from sunny St. Lucia and we get lots of American pilots visiting and its a joy to watch them land and takeoff.....thus me over here (England) preparing to join the elite flyers club.

Another thing are British Pilots better than our American friends?

all innocent questions

:cool: cheers Skyfever

minus273
29th Jun 2004, 18:10
Hi there

The last question is a bit of a can of worms one! Sounds like something out of Top Gun, "Does that mean Maveric, is the best".

As for the B747 guy looking at the B1900 longingly I am sure that would be fine till he got his pay check.

redsnail
29th Jun 2004, 18:40
I used to fly a Twotter to Dunk Is. It's a half hour flight from Cairns over tropical rainforests and clear tropical seas.
We flew a BA 744 Captain once. He came up and said that we had the best job in the world and would happily swap it. (Although, he'd probably baulk at our pay)

To determine your career path you have to work out where you're going to work. In the US it is quite normal to go pistons-turbopop-jets. In the UK you can go straight to jets after flight school.
Turboprop operations will expose you to a lot of different situations, probably more hands on flying and you'll definitely be exposed to a lot more weather. All good stuff to cut your teeth on.
The main draw back of turboprops is the pay compared to jets.