PDA

View Full Version : Qantas faces $200,000 bill for passengers

Wirraway
29th Jun 2004, 15:27
Wed "Courier Mail"

Qantas faces $200,000 bill for passengers
Renee Viellaris, Peter Morley and Jennifer Dudley
30jun04

QANTAS will pay more than $200,000 to passengers who were this week burdened by one of the longest aviation delays in Australia's recent history.

Analysts and sources believe Qantas's 35-hour lay over at Brisbane International Airport was one of the longest by a local carrier in Australia.

The direct Brisbane-to-Los Angeles flight left on Monday at 10pm, but had been scheduled to leave on Sunday at 11am.

More than 400 passengers were sent to motels while crews worked to fix the Boeing 747's cargo door.

A passenger, who does not want to be identified, said Qantas apologised on flight to its customers and offered $500 compensation.

On the other side of the Pacific, Qantas passengers leaving Los Angeles for Brisbane on Monday were stranded for more than 10 hours because of the Queensland lay over.

They arrived yesterday at 4.20pm.

Passengers Debra Cole and her three children Sarah, Joshua and Victoria said they waited in line for two hours before being told there could be a delay to the flight, and were then booked in to a hotel for the night.

"(Qantas) did everything to try and make it better but travelling is hard when you've got children and then having to travel all day," she said. "We were very disappointed because we wanted to be sleeping on the plane rather than in the hotel. We've lost a day of our holidays. Every day is precious."

A Qantas spokesman told The Courier-Mail another aircraft was called in to Los Angeles Airport to minimise further delays.

He said passengers who were stranded in Brisbane would be given an undisclosed cheque for goodwill, and many would make claims on their travel insurance.

"Delays of this duration are extremely rare," he said.

"There was no replacement aircraft available. We are in a busy school holiday period and the use of any other aircraft would have had a significant impact on other services and passengers."

One source said it was unusual for international flights to be delayed for so long, especially when they were "effectively on their own home turf".

Col Williamson, executive director of Synergi Travel Australia, a major corporate travel agent, said he would not consider the Qantas 35-hour delay a normal occurrence.

How Qantas recovered with certain passengers would determine if it suffered from long-term business damage.

Mr Williamson said the money would not appease everyone.

"You've got to be able to communicate and show you mean it (apology)," he said.

Another source said the wait was long but not rare.

In late 2002, Brisbane passengers aboard an Auckland-bound Air New Zealand Boeing 767 were stranded for more than 24 hours when an engine failed.

The plane returned to Brisbane and passengers had to wait a day for a replacement aircraft.

A Virgin Blue spokeswoman said its carrier had several contingency plans for delays.

In the past, flight times were re-scheduled, planes were re-directed or passengers were booked on different carriers to get them to their destination.

===========================================

The_Cutest_of_Borg
30th Jun 2004, 01:21
This delay is unfortunate but really a symptom of the boom times Qf is experiencing now. The flights they chopped from Paris are another, probably profitable but not as profitable as LHR so, gone.

Why were they getting a quote from VB? Their operation and the QF long haul operation are chalk and cheese.

Nuggetman
30th Jun 2004, 02:17
---

Boom times, or cutting corners ??

Just my two cents worth ....

TIMMEEEE
30th Jun 2004, 04:47
As far as contingency plans go at VB there are really none.
All they can do is get as many as possible on the next available flight.
They dont seem to have any spare aircraft or able to substitute a larger aircraft as can Qf.

When there are delays or breakdowns chaos is the operative word.
Their staff (although friendly) just dont seem to be able to cope or are just unable to deal with the standard irrate customers as my sister realised two weekends ago.
Her early morning flight ended up arriving just before curfew into YSSY after 10:30 pm.

Time Bomb Ted
30th Jun 2004, 06:06
Jeeze $200,000 would not have covered my bar bill at the Qantas Club if I had to wait for 35 hours. Now that is a lot of Jamisons.

TBT

Chicken Beef or Fish
30th Jun 2004, 07:38
So Timmeeee,

You feel DJ have no contingency plan because your sister had a bad experience? Now correct me if I am wrong, QF did not seem to have a spare aircraft to help themselves out of the situation in BNE?

DutchRoll
30th Jun 2004, 08:08
Boom times (or at least ' big expansion' times), Nuggetman.

QF does not have, and cannot obtain (for reasons known only to those much higher up the food chain than me), enough suitable aircraft to fly the long haul routes it wants to at the moment.

HAMO
30th Jun 2004, 10:05
How can you compare contingency planning DJ high frequency domestic ops to QF international widebody ops .. sorry folks, but there aint no comparison

Domestically you have the advantage of being able to transfer pax to a number of other scheduled flights .. unfort with International you dont have that option eg 10+ flights a day BNE-SYD with DJ compared to say 1 747 QF BNE-LAX

CBF - so you are syaing that DJ has a spare aircraft sitting around in case of disruptions ??? AS IF. So you think QF should have been able to just go to the hangar and grab a spare 744 ????

No airline has metal sitting around "just in case"

Chicken Beef or Fish
30th Jun 2004, 11:27
Hamo,

After re-reading my post, I do not find anything that says VB have an aircraft sitting around. I am not sure what you are reading into it, but your a little off base with that one. The coment made was in response to Timeeee's post that says VB do not have a spare or a larger aircraft like QF. So ends the lesson.