PDA

View Full Version : QF stage 2 cadetship 2005

franksnbeans
29th Jun 2004, 15:00
gday all,

I'm a 21 year old CPL with about 260 hrs, a multi NVFR and a business degree. I'm interested in the QF stage 2 cadetship and whether or not i would be over qualified if i had an instructor rating and a few months experience working as an instructor when i apply.

I am deciding if I should apply for the 2005 scheme, or wait until 2006... If I do apply for 2005, I will probably find weekend work as a jump pilot over the summer.

if i decide to wait until 2006, i will do my instructors rating mid next year and work as an instructor for a bit.

I'm just interested to hear what people think the best course of action would be for me...

cheers in advance for your advice,

fnb

Keg
29th Jun 2004, 15:59
Why wait? Apply for 2005. Wouldn't even hesitate!

franksnbeans
30th Jun 2004, 07:27
heya Keg,

Normally i wouldn't hesitate at all, but at the moment I'm living it up in Europe! It means I will have to be back in Melbourne about October or so, meaning I would be cutting my trip short, thats all.

But i think I will apply for 2005, there really isn't a reason not to.

cheers

takeonme
30th Jun 2004, 08:15
Just be careful mate, if your 22 or 23 when you apply theyll almost certainly ask you whats been doin with your life and why you havent applied earlier and the answer they certainly dont want to hear is "coz youve been living it up in Europe"

FBD
3rd Jul 2004, 17:33
what's wrong with living it up in Europe? It's surely giving some experience out in the real world...

franksnbeans
13th Jul 2004, 12:19
takeonme,

To some degree, I can see your point.

However, this is the first holiday that I have had in a long time. I've been studying farken hard for a degree, my pilot license and working to pay for it all for a long time. I've had to sacrifice a LOT to get what I have at the moment, as have many others before me. It is for this reason that there was no way in hell that I could've gone straight into the cadetship in 2004, I wouldnĄ't have been able to cope. I'm not super human, contrary to popular belief... So I'm having a well earned rest to recoup for the road ahead, because whether I get into the cadetship or not, I will be working farken hard early next year. And I'm growing up even more at the same time too, so surely that can't be a bad thing, can it?

Keg,

I am applying for the cadetship in 2005, well at least trying to get all the documents together from the other side of the world! I was just interested to know if an instructors rating and 6 months or so working experience as an instructor would be detrimental to an application for a position in the cadetship.

Anyway, sorry for the late reply, I've been living it up... as I should be... PROST :ok:

Capt Fathom
13th Jul 2004, 13:37
You're kidding surely?
If you want to 'live it up', then forget avaition as a career. If you're serious about a job with Qantas, I wouldn't be waiting. Get in there now, you can have a rest later. Having a holiday in Europe because 'I've been working hard' will not wash with the Qantas Interview Panel. Everyone else is stuffed as well!

victor two
16th Jul 2004, 06:09
I have to fully agree with FBD. What the hell does it have to do with Qantas if a young bloke has decided to travel and enjoy the world a bit before applying. How does that realistically detract from an applicants potential as an employee? Would Qantas really prefer young guys and gals who have done nothing with their lives except sit beside the phone at home waiting for Qantas to call?
I would always go for someone who is motivated and has had the oomph to get out and enjoy the world instead of some sad eyed brat sitting at home like a faithful dog.

Mate, make sure you enjoy Europe, get drunk, "try new things", savour your youth and health, have a ball and worry about Qantas when you are good and ready. Enjoy and good luck.

cheers
Vic