PDA

View Full Version : how many years it takes to earn enough hours for airline entry

QF747-400
29th Jun 2004, 08:18
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea how long it'll take to earn enough

hours to apply for the airlines in Australia? Which way to do it,

what job, where and so on.

Cheers...

29th Jun 2004, 09:44
QF747-400,

Be very careful in the wording, "Earn enough hours". Sounds like this is how you are expecting to be paid. There have been numurous slanging matches on pprune regards working for free to get hours.

However, it took me a little over a year in my first charter gig to get 1000 S/E hours, still working on the twin part 3 years later.

QF I believe require 500 command hours to enter as a SO, VB 500 command twin to enter as a FO. Try their respective websites for the correct info. Also www.pilot.staffcv.com will give you the drum.

My two bobs worth would be to enjoy the flying and work on experience rather than focusing on hours.

;)

QF747-400
29th Jun 2004, 10:00
i never said i care about the money although you will some

atleast to survive in this world don't you agree?? all i'm after is

on average how long it takes to earn hours...

3 years? 4 years? 5 years? or more???

Ibex
29th Jun 2004, 12:04
Nice try.

Subtle though it is, I still get the faint stench of a putrid, pointless peanut log of a query that has no real means of being answered correctly, which is a point well known by the person who squeezed it out.

ZK Skipper
29th Jun 2004, 20:44
How long is a piece of string? :cool:

Howard Hughes
30th Jun 2004, 00:36
15 Years for me, but then again I always was a little slow...;)

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Cloud Cutter
30th Jun 2004, 06:04
Hmmm, for someone with your linguistic skill (or lack there of) I expect the time to and airline job will be infinate.

Otherwise it is simple maths, how many hours a year are you likely to log (whether or not you earn them), how many hours do airlines require.:hmm:

High Altitude
30th Jun 2004, 08:17
Who knows...

700 hours C210 gear up into QF
3000 hours all piston (2000 twin) VB fo

It works in mysterious ways...

Angle of Attack
1st Jul 2004, 08:30
Quote "Which way to do it, what job, where and so on."

Well with respect its not rocket science mate. Im sure working pilots out there would agree with me that if your really into flying and have a passion for it, you wouldnt be asking for it on an internet forum. If you are dedicated to be a pilot as your chosen career you wouldnt be asking it here, you would already know, because you would have researched it, written to companies, got a feeling for options from GA companies so on. Im standing out on a limb here as I am not in the GA working world anymore but it seems if anything harder than ever at the moment to progress to that elusive first or twin job these days. But if you really want it you will get it, and if you really want it you wouldnt ask such questions here. I wish you luck whichever way you go.

Snapper_head
2nd Jul 2004, 10:15
For me about 3 years

PT6
2nd Jul 2004, 13:44
About 3 years for me but had to scrounge hours doing charters wherever I could find them or generate them. Had to get some twin hours. It is not easy. You need to be very keen and have a lot of tenacity. Good luck. :O

jtr
2nd Jul 2004, 13:59
Hmmm, for someone with your linguistic skill (or lack there of) I expect the time to and airline job will be infinate.

If youre' goin to crap on some one about there speling, at least make the effart to get yours write! :}

ZK-NSN
2nd Jul 2004, 22:17
Relax boy's...its not a spelling/grammer competition.

I agree with the peice of string answer, i know guys who have been flying for 7-10 years and are still in G.A, I think most pilots will agree that half the fun in airline flying is getting there. Enjoy it, keep your nose clean and see what happens.:ok:

Cloud Cutter
3rd Jul 2004, 04:39
jtr, I said nothing about spelling.

alpar80
3rd Jul 2004, 10:40
Being behind a computer screen really seems to make muscles bulge!

druglord
5th Jul 2004, 11:34
snapperhead, where u at now? I never get any news anymore.

Bird Strike
5th Jul 2004, 12:57
To asnwer the first question, it depends on how many hours you fly per year as to how quickly you satisfy the minimum hours requirement.

Does that make sense?

P.S. Also satisfying the minimum hours means zilch. Minimum is just the minimum and it doesn't guarantee you a job, obviously.

Rich-Fine-Green
5th Jul 2004, 22:19
I have had staff with just 100 multi get in to regionals and others with a few '000 multi not be able to get an interview.

Go figure.....

ovum
6th Jul 2004, 06:39
Yea but honestly, this QF747-400 bloke is asking basic, rehashed questions in one forum that have been done 1000 times before and then giving advice on flying training and flight schools in another!!

You can't be an experienced pilot and a wannabe at the same time!! His posts really sh!t me :rolleyes:

By the way, it's 'infinite'...;)

ovum

Cloud Cutter
6th Jul 2004, 21:47
Noted:= I see I'm not the only one to get p!ssed of with this sort of thread. QF747-400 (wank, wank) this website has a perfectly good search function.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must return to my dictionary....:8