PDA

View Full Version : Sky+

Flughaven
29th Jun 2004, 06:58
Not quite a computer issue but you might be able to help me. I'm currently based out in Germany and managed to bring my sky box with me and set it up, however I now want to upgrade to Sky+.
Had a chat with the man in the shop back home who set it up for me the first time and he's not sure if the sky+ will work as he thinks it needs to be connected to the phone line all the time for the recording features, which I cannot do out here in Germany as Sky will see it then out of the country.
Its not that I'm cheating the system I still pay my subscription fee every month back home but just want my channels here in germany with the bonus of being able to record without VHS.

Any Ideas??
Cheers

Splat
29th Jun 2004, 08:56
Sorry,

All I can suggest is that you get in touch with Melksham Satellites. I had an issue with a foreign box, and they proved invaluable and very helpfull. Do a search on the net and give them a call. (Sorry if this is deemed advertising, not intended, just trying to help)

On a seperate note, has anybody else had a widescreen picture (from Sky) chopped into a narrow one? Seems to happen mainly if watching sport from BBC/ITV through the satelite (CH 101/103). If you watch via the aerial, it's OK (but a naff picture where I live).

Cheers

Splat

englishal
29th Jun 2004, 11:20
The Widescreen chopped into a small pic (Euro 2004 for example) is due to the Portugese TV. Seems that they don't record the programs in Widescreen.

The terrestrial pic is just the same as the chopped pic expanded to fit the screen. Sky broadcast in Widescreen format, whereas terrestrial (analogue) don't, so all Widescreen transmissions on terrestrial (analogue) are stretched, whereas their sky counterpart aren't........(confusing myself now :D)

EA

ORAC
29th Jun 2004, 13:32
Confirmed, Sky will not provide a Sky+ box or contract unless the box is connected to a telephone line, so there is no way of using one abroad. I have just had the same problem and had to take out a second contract to get a card for my old sky digibox to bring out.

You also cannot use the option of retaining your old box on the cheap second room contract, as they insist that must be connected to the same line as the sky+ box to stop people using them elsewhere or giving them too relatives.

Flughaven
30th Jun 2004, 08:28
Thanks lads,
I'll just have to keep with the video system for recording till one of the whiz kids comes up with a way around it :ok:

Cheers

ORAC
30th Jun 2004, 08:42
Phantom PVR (http://www.phantompvr.com/phantom_pvr.htm) :ok:

pilot-lite
30th Jun 2004, 12:34
The Sky+ box doesn't need a phone line to work. It only ever phones home if you want to use the interactive services or Pay-per-view.

All the viewing guide data is received via the satellite.

I quite happily used a sky digibox in Spain for a year without any problems. Simply don't connect the phone line.

A quick google confirmed that plenty of people are using Sky+ abroad with no problems.

You are of course in breach of your contract with Sky as soon as you use receive programming whilst outside the UK and Ireland...

pilot-lite

Fly Stimulator
30th Jun 2004, 12:38
Flughaven,
...not sure if the sky+ will work as he thinks it needs to be connected to the phone line all the time for the recording features
The Sky+ box gets all its schedule data over the air and none via the phone connection. Your man in the shop is probably getting confused with the Tivo system.

ORAC
30th Jun 2004, 15:14
The Sky+ contract states that a new box must be connected to a phone for at least 12 months, because of the subsidy. Boxes are triggered by satellite to make calls back to sky to confirm they are connected. Some people get away with disconnecting their digiboxes almost immediately and never hear anything from Sky at all.

Sky+ boxes are supplied with recording disabled, and I believe they will not enable it until they confirm a telephone connection.

A second hand Sky box can be used without a telephone connection, and a Sky+ box can be used to replace a digibox, but the Record facility will be disabled. Sky charge for the recording facility - £10pm. The charge is waived if your package is £30+.

So you could buy a second hand box and get it enabled with your current card - then phone up and amend your contract to pay the rest.

Flughaven
30th Jun 2004, 20:06
Very good I'll give it a shot .... fingers crossed:O Thanks

Bomber Harris
24th Jul 2004, 14:51
Orac......good answer....you seem to fully understand the problem

Maybe u could help me...I have similar problem.....I can legitimatly subscribe to sky in my Irish house. Due to licensing reasons sky do not supply ch4 and itv to irish customers. In my uk house i wanted to take out a british sky contract with free digibox and satelitte and remove it on day one and bring it to ireland so i will get all the channels...but i am unsure over the phone line issue too. (i would still get irish channels on terrestrial)

i was then going to bring my irish contracted box/card to uk so i can recieve the irish channels in UK(and recieve ch4/itv on terrestrial).......deal!!!

what do you think are the pitfalls??

ORAC
25th Jul 2004, 06:42
You'd probably get away with it, but I'd buy a secondhand box, they're cheap, that way you wouldn't have the problem of a telephone line. I told them mine was for a caravan...