PDA

View Full Version : Where did it go????

Sonny Hammond
29th Jun 2004, 03:53
A little gem I found.

3 blokes need a room at a hotel for a night. The room charge is $30 (pretty cheap I reckon) and they accept.

The next day at check out they hobble in to settle the account and each hand over a $10 note.
The attendant accepts the $30 and just at that time the motel owner notices the men and recognises one of them. He offers them a $5 discount.
The attendant has 5 $1 coins, hands each man a $1 coin.
With 2 $1 coins remaining, she is now confused and elects to pocket the remaining $2 herself.

So each man has paid $9 and the girl has $2.

Where is the lost dollar?

flyby_kiwi
29th Jun 2004, 04:50
Depeds how you look at it but at a glance you could ask what missing dollar?
In other words - the motel takes $30 and hands back $5 of it so the motel now has $25, the girl $2 and the 3 guys $1 each.

You arent from the IRD are you :suspect:

snoop doggy dog
29th Jun 2004, 05:19
It was the chick from the Tooheys New ad and she reached a little bit lower before giving it back ....................... and it got lost. :E

request deferred
29th Jun 2004, 05:41
As with all good maths problems it needs to be broken down to lowest common denominator, so here goes

total bill for hotel room is $30-$5 (discount)=$25

3 people divided by 25= 8.3333

the total cost to each person was $8.33

money paid per person was $10-$1=$9.00

girl kept $2

So, the girl overcharged each person by $0.66 (hence the $2 left in her pocket).....no missing dollar at all!

snoop doggy dog
29th Jun 2004, 05:46
I still say the missing dollar is in funland........... ;)

Sonny Hammond
29th Jun 2004, 06:02
Thats sounds like a good explanation R.D., except:

We know,

The Till has $25.
Each man has paid $9.
The rocket scientist behind the till has $2.

There is a missing dollar.....

amos2
29th Jun 2004, 06:06
Aw, come on guys! I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but even I can work that out.

She didn't give 'em 5 bucks back, only 3 and stuck the other 2 in her pocket, nothin' is missing anywhere.

The real question is:

Why did she do this?

The answer is:

'cause she's a female pilot moonlighting! :ok:

*Lancer*
29th Jun 2004, 06:16
The hotel may have been good value, but was she?!

It's not 3x9 + 2 = 29 (missing a dollar from 30)
It's 3x9 - 2 = 25 (what they actually paid)

Obviously they were all senior Captains! ;)

request deferred
29th Jun 2004, 06:17
There is no missing dollar....that's the whole point of the riddle. The text is there to mislead and confuse you. The numbers never lie!

So, to put it another way:

till $25

men $3 ( $1 x 3 )

girl $2

=$30

Atlas Shrugged
29th Jun 2004, 06:49
Hey, isn't she the "girl with the golden shovel" referred to in another post?

AS

Fris B. Fairing
29th Jun 2004, 07:44
If you like this explanation it's mine. If you don't, it's the work of my 15 year-old daughter!

You have to look at the problem as the total pool of money at each stage of the transaction:

Stage 1:
The men have $30
The woman has $5
Total $35

Stage 2:
The men have $0
The woman has $5 + $30
Total $35

Stage 3:
The men have $3
The woman has $2
The hotel has $30
Total $35

Therefore there is no missing $1

request deferred
29th Jun 2004, 08:31
Stage 3

men have $3

woman $2

hotel $25 ( they paid out $5 )

total $30

anymore guesses from anyone...this is doing my mind in! ( but i still think I'm correct )

Woomera
29th Jun 2004, 09:00
request deferred is correct:

There is no missing dollar....that's the whole point of the riddle. The text is there to mislead and confuse you. The numbers never lie!

So, to put it another way:

till $25

men $3 ( $1 x 3 )

girl $2

=$30

That "riddle" has been around for well over forty years to my knowledge. It's a play on words, not a mathematical problem.

Errrmmm. What has this to do with aviation and PPRuNe?

Woomera

Yorik Hunt
29th Jun 2004, 09:05
Well Woomera. This is exactly what QF management did to Jetstar pilots. Problem is, they still haven't figured it out yet!

Fris B. Fairing
29th Jun 2004, 10:19
Talk about being between a rock and a hard place. I've got Woomera on one side and a teenage daughter on the other!

If you accept that the total "economy" of said hotel is $35, if request deferred is correct, then $5 has vanished from the economy.

Maybe Woomera should put the thread out of its misery as now daughter is threatening to invoke the laws of conservation of energy (or something).

(and why am I thinking Fawlty Towers?)

itchybum
29th Jun 2004, 10:44
The real questions are, did the dirl apply for a job at the MAIN motel in town, down the road and was she knocked back? :}

Did she resort to keeping the $ because she's now being paid less to do the same job at this second motel?

If YES, is there a problem with any of this?

Would YOU feel safe using the second motel?

And who maintains the rooms? The girl? :ouch:

:E

amos2
29th Jun 2004, 11:01
OK!...I was only kidding when I said I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

In actual fact I can leave most of you turkeys way behind when it comes to mathematical matters. (not a boast, but a fact.)

Request Deferred and Lancer are on the money but Lancers presentation is the better of the two.

Can we go back to grown up things now, like belting the sh*t out of each other?

:rolleyes:

request deferred
29th Jun 2004, 12:19
F.B.F the 'total economy' didn't start with $35 , it started at $30 ( the bill was originally $30 then reduced to $25 )....I told a friend about this riddle and apparently it appeared in the Sunday paper last week.

....on another note, did you know that Qantas is sending it's A330's all the way to HKG for C checks? Long way for an oil change don't you think?!

Fris B. Fairing
29th Jun 2004, 23:17
Request Deferred

No, the men had $30 and the woman had $5. Therefore the total pool is $35. The final distribution of the pool is:

Hotel $30
Men $3
Woman $2

Cheers

Woomera
29th Jun 2004, 23:53
Forget the rhetoric - it's a play on words!!!

The monetary consideration is very simply:

Hotel ...... $25.00
Men ........ $ 3.00
Girl .......... $ 2.00
Total ....... $30.00

Woomera

amos2
30th Jun 2004, 09:11
Kunsumada, Woomera! ;)