PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Virus Warning.

E-Liam
28th Jun 2004, 20:32
Hi,

Just been warned about this by a colleague in our IT dept at work.

If you see an email with WTC, World Trade Centre or 9/11 in the header..DON'T OPEN IT. I'll try and get more specific detail later, as I'm not around for a bit, but on opening it will destroy all dynamic link libraries.

Just got to pass this to a couple of other forums before I go. If any one can find more out in the meantime!!!!! :)

Cheers

Liam
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A member of the Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals (http://asap.maddoktor2.com/) since 2004.

FJJP
28th Jun 2004, 23:32
Could this be another version of this hoax?

http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=description&virus_k=99245

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Jun 2004, 04:43
FJJP,

That is what it sounds like to me. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

E-Liam
29th Jun 2004, 06:26
Hi,

I know IT departments aren't 100%, but I thought that they wouldn't get something like this wrong... and I was in a rush to get the message out. You're right it is the same hoax....

I feel so ashamed. :D:D

I'm now going to show someone in our IT department a new game called suppository keyboards.. :D

Cheers

Liam

Lost_luggage34
29th Jun 2004, 06:29
suppository keyboards

Brilliant - much respect my friend.

edited for spelling after another long night shift !

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Jun 2004, 16:56
Liam,

It has happened to all of us at one time or another. ;)

Richard

FJJP
29th Jun 2004, 23:06
E-Liam, when I did what you did and posted a similar warning, I was roasted and lambasted by a bunch of unsympathetic smart-a**es. I vowed that I would never take that attitude with anyone. I am sure that Richard (and others like him) will agree that we all get caught out from time to time and that our good intentions (tho' they may be incorrect) are meant to help others.

Keep on helping others - that one time you may be right may save a fellow PPruner a lot of grief! The joy of this forum is that there are very few who look down their noses at others, no matter what they post.

And if you don't immediately agree with me Richard, I'll tear off you arm and beat you with the soggy end!

E-Liam, next time you place your keyboard in a delicate place, sell tickets - we'd all like to watch!

Regards,

FJJP

stagger
29th Jun 2004, 23:26
A good rule of thumb when evaluating email warnings about anything - if it says something like "Forward this to everyone in your address book" . . . then it's probably a hoax and essentially a virus in its own right - in the sense that it is a self-propogating entity. Albeit one that relies on people's good intentions in order to spread.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Jun 2004, 05:12
FJJP,

My arm is ready. Come and get me. :p

Richard

mazzy1026
1st Jul 2004, 14:29
As said - we have all been collared by this sh1t before. You were trying to help us out - so keep up the good work ! :ok: