PDA

View Full Version : Norton Internet Security software

Check 6
28th Jun 2004, 17:10
I have used the search function without luck, so here is my question.

In addition to Norton anti-virus, I started using Norton Internet Security recently when I obtained an ADSL connection.

Usually during the first 5-10 minutes after going on-line, I receive warnings indicating "a remote system is attempting to access your computer."

Fine, Norton is doing its job.

Here is the question: how do I stop these warnings without stopping the firewall protection? Sometimes I will get 20-30 warnings in a row, causing complete disruption of what I am doing.

I have not been able to locate any settings that would continue the firewall protection and hide these warnings in the background.

Any ideas out there?

Thank you very much,

Check 6

FJJP
28th Jun 2004, 23:37
Open Internet security. Double left click on 'intrusion detection'

Uncheck 'Notify me when Intrusion Detection blocks connections'

That should do the trick...

BLUE SKY THINKER
28th Jun 2004, 23:39
Varies, version to version. .....On mine (2003) see Alerting Level on the left-hand side.

I think you will find it in a similar position other years under slightly different wording.

http://www.pantip.com/cafe/help/nis_main_screen.jpg

ps.......................................................... ......

Just tried FJJP\'s suggestion and it doesn\'t appear available in that form on 2003, so presume he has a different year.

I merely make the point to illustrate the disparity between different versions.

Check 6
29th Jun 2004, 06:24
Thanks FJJP and BST. I had already 'unchecked' that box. This still occurs, but mostly in the evening when these ba@$ar&s crawl out of their holes.

I searched Norton's self help area without locating anything prior to searching this forum.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Check 6

BEagle
29th Jun 2004, 07:28
In Windows XP:

Right click on your Internet icon in the system tray

Click on 'Open Network Connections'.

Right click on the relevant Internet connection icon.

Click on 'properties'

Click the 'advanced' tab and then make sure that 'Internet Connection Firewall' has been ticked.

Check 6
29th Jun 2004, 14:41
BEagle, yep, that one was already ticked. I just connected to my ADSL at 1630 (1430Z), and no warnings are popping up (this is the time of day when the hacker's seem to have crawled out of their holes). Go figure.

I will keep my fingers crossed, and solicit other suggestions appreciatively.

Thanks to all,

Check 6

englishal
29th Jun 2004, 14:48
they're not always hack attempts though, often they are just your ISP polling your IP address, which Norton reports as a hack attempt.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Jun 2004, 17:30
Check 6,

Just as another option, if you have more than one computer using your DSL Connection to the Internet, I would recommend a hardware firewall provided by a Router.

Take Care,

Richard

Check 6
30th Jun 2004, 11:24
Richard, hi neighbor. No other computers using my line in my home.

The advise to active my XP firewall, plus unclick "notify me..." may have fixed the problem. I had previously done this, but possibly XP required that my computer be restarted for these setting changes to take place.

I have not had any more "alerts" since rebooting.

With fingers crossed,

Thanks all. Pizza and vino is on me.

Check 6

Naples, Italy = where pizza was invented

:ok:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
30th Jun 2004, 13:59
Check 6,

Fingers crossed that you are all set. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

Blacksheep
1st Jul 2004, 14:50
I used to get strobed like this - warnings from my firewall every two or three minutes - until I installed SpyBot recently. After using SpyBot to clean a load of unsuspected and previously undetected spyware and then immunize my computer, I only rarely get strobed - just three times in two hours tonight. Even then its usually just the regular Slammer Worm stuff that's still floating around the internet, from PCs that have no virus protection at all.

I've a feeling that a lot of the intrusion attempts are the result of undetected spyware 'calling home'.