PDA

View Full Version : aptitude

jaba
28th Jun 2004, 16:43
hello people,
i am troubled by confusion.
i have applied for the ctc and britannia schemes and didnt get past the second stage of selection. however, according to their response, the decision to reject me was a hard one.
being a recent bilingual graduate from top university with a rather irrelevant degree (er.. biology, but what the hell) i dont think i am an idiot. plus all of my gliding, paragliding and power instructors in the past have said i am quick to learn and with a good aptitude.
i am undoubtedly poisoned by enthusiasm and cannot see myself in any other place than a 747 cockpit.
so do think i should keep trying for new schemes (whenever they arise) or just leave it in peace and accept the "wannabe" status forever.
any comments would be a great help.
thanks
:confused:

Mooney12
28th Jun 2004, 19:54
Did you not get past stage two of either selection?

I think you should still keep trying, perhaps have a look at other routes into the profession (self funded etc..).

But also you may have to realise that it may not happen and so I think you should have back-up options available, which with a degree and being bi-lingual should be ok for you.

monkeyboy
28th Jun 2004, 20:59
jaba, four years ago I had exactly the same thoughts as you. I tried for every sponsorship scheme under the sun but never got past the aptitude tests.....and then I really started to doubt whether I'd make it or not. Anyway, after having a moan and cry on pprune everybody told me to pick my chin up and to not worry about the sponsorship schemes as only a very small % of people were selected. It did not mean that you would not make it as a professional pilot.

Anyway, fours years later I sit here with my shiny - well, it's matt to be honest - CPL/IR, a sim check next week with a large regional airline, a course booked on the CTC AQC having passed their tests and I also passed Britannia's aptitude tests last year.....so in essence, don't give up just because you can't make the grade with those rather restrictive sponsorship tests!

MB

Global Pilot
29th Jun 2004, 08:06
I agree with the above in that you should just go for it. Not being successful with these schemes should not be seen as an indication that you can't hack it. If they are being truthful in their feedback then a hard decision meant they considered you but on a different day with a different bunch of candidates you might be successful.

You still need to be critical of yourself at all times but encouragement from your instructors in your previous flying experience is a good indication of your skills.

Are you a potential commercial pilot? Take your flying to PPL level and see how it goes. Look for honest feedback from your instructors. Get your class 1 first!!

You have other skills that can help pay for your training and is a great fallback in case it doesn't work out.

In the end you are the only person who can make the decision to go ahead or give up the idea. I say go for it but it is not my money and time so it is up to you and I wish you the very best in what ever you decide.

Straightandlevel80kt
29th Jun 2004, 18:20
A few years ago all the same people kept meeting each other at sponsorship interviews year after year. When you compared stories, you'd find that airlines often reject people 2-3 years in a row before accepting them. This could be coincidence, a sign that people improve their technique over time, or evidence of the kind of determination and commitment that interviewers look for.

Given that, I would advise you to keep trying, all things being equal.

Your instructors are a good source of information regarding your aptitude!

Best of luck.

jaba
26th Jul 2004, 22:54
Thanks a lot ladies and gents.
will persist. the most awful thing that may come out of this affair is that i'll learn something about the so called life.

27th Jul 2004, 21:37
i am undoubtedly poisoned by enthusiasm and cannot see myself in any other place than a 747 cockpit

Seeing as tho the Brit and CTC schemes (I think) don't operate 747's, this may be the reason why you're not getting any further!

Try saying - I can see myself in the cockpit of a 757 or 737......just food for thought....

Good luck

:t

flaps to 60
31st Jul 2004, 17:10
Jaba

You are showing both the right attitude (by asking questions with a burning fire of JET A1 in your belly) and the wrong by even contemplating giving up.

I was rejected by CTC with the coveted blue book in hand and told to FO. But without them and their sometimes arrogant attitude i made it to the left hand seat with an eye also on that 747 or maybe even an A380.

Dont give up and every slap in the face use it to your advantage and learn from it.

Good luck for the future you will realise its all worth it when you get there.:ok: