PDA

View Full Version : Varig 777's

Groundbased
28th Jun 2004, 13:55
Are Varig still operating 777's between LHR and GRU?

Airliner world a while back said at least one of them had been returned to the lessor.

I see they have some ex KLM MD11's now, will these replace the 777's?

Cheers,
GB

fescalised portion
28th Jun 2004, 14:41
Varig are still using MD11's on the GIG-GRU-LHR-GRU-GIG route but are supposedly going to re-introduce the B777's soon. No-one is sure when, but apparently they are obtaining two more B777's and when that happens they will return to LHR.....I believe they currently fly to CDG.
They do fly some ex-Swiss air MD11's at present to LHR, but not that often (They have PW4000 engines instead of the CF-6's).

WHBM
28th Jun 2004, 15:06
Varig unfortunately have a long history of the Brasilian economy causing them difficulties with leasing companies, and various units in the fleet ending up being returned. So the fleet composition has tended to ebb and flow from year to year, and be rather a mixed bag.

According to their timetable 777s take over from MD-11s to Paris next week, London staying with the MD for the time being.

Young Paul
28th Jun 2004, 15:54
Someone I know regards the RG MD11's as the most comfortable option between GRU and LON - certainly ahead of the 31" seat picth in World Traveller.

MAN777
28th Jun 2004, 15:54
Had the misfortune off flying Varig MD11 twice last year LHR-GRU.
Quite excited about flying on an older type initially but that quickly evapourated on seeing the state of the aircraft, it was filthy, uncomfortable, over heated or was it under cooled ? And the attitude of the cabin crew took some beating, they basically coudnt give a toss !!.

On the same trip used Lan Chile (A340) what a difference ! absolutely 1st class and a pleasure to fly with.

Mark Lewis
28th Jun 2004, 17:55
Not 100% but doesn't the route go:

GIG-GRU-LHR-CPH-LHR-GRU-GIG ?

akerosid
28th Jun 2004, 19:05
The route continues to CPH (from LHR) three times a week.

Generally, the reports on RG are not terribly good; they used to be highly reputable. The MD11s have no IFE, although the 777s, which unfortunately no longer fly to LHR, are fully equipped, as far as I'm aware.

Young Paul
28th Jun 2004, 19:40
I think my contact couldn't give a stuff about IFE - but finds the seats more comfortable for sleeping in than BA 777's - which, after all, is what you normally do at night when you aren't flying.

Don't Varig continue to AMS on the other days, or something?

chabu
3rd Jul 2004, 14:58
Varig operates to/from AMS via CDG, if i'm correct this is beiing operated daily, as of May 9th with MD-11.

Regulars are PP-VQI / QJ / QK / QL / QX / PJ / PK .

Bye, CU