PDA

View Full Version : Rostering.......Have you ever had any illegailities?

sammyhostie3
28th Jun 2004, 12:39
Hi Guys,

Have you ever had any qualms legality wise about your roster?

I ued to have LGW-B JL, then LGW-TCP the next day on my roster.....

Both round trips!

They do say that the roster computer systems airlines use make illegailities impossible to roster......

Floaty
28th Jun 2004, 12:52
I had changes involving "discretions"... but nothing exceeding a half an hour over my duty time.

The thing I hated at Air2bob is when crewing twisted and bent the rules to make changes become legal, like shifting your standby by 4-5 hours the day before, to then call you the next day for a night flight they couldn't find anyone to do!! ...and it usually was that bloody weekend night flight to Dalaman or Antalya... grrrr!!!... But it's legal... :(

Said that, I don't think crewing neither mean to be nasty nor enjoy waking you up in the middle of the night... I believe the fish always stinks from the head, not from the tail... If crewing have to come to that, it's probabily because they are short of staff and management have not recruited enough for the season (as usual).

Door bell... gotta go!

FJ

flybywire
28th Jun 2004, 14:03
It's not crewing's fault. It's the company management's.
They don't recruit enough people, they use you and misuse you and make your life impossible (and crewing employees' as well).
I appreciate these poeple being stressed all summer, I know it's not their fault.

Lats year I got rostered 6 days off in a month-I was a junior, they didn't want to listen to me until they got a phone call from one of my managers. Illegal.
Tried to roster me on a 9 ON 2 OFF. Complained, no action.
Had the manager phone in again...and TA-DA! One day off in between.

Got a week of short haul, changed into a week SBY,2 days off, bullet GOI. Changed again, the week SBY got changed into a "round the world" trip (7 days operating and positioning LGW-CUN-PVR-MEX-MIA-POP-MAN-LGW) two days off then off to GOI for the bullet.
Only 2 days in between two trips with over 12 hours time difference??? Not to consider the scheduling agreement says something else.
Called them, this time I wasn't a junior anymore, got rid of one of the trips, given the 3rd day off and a bunch of short flights after that.
The list goes on, and on, and on....ever been called two hours before your standby started for a night DLM? :suspect:

I am not attacking the crewing department, I want to make this clear. They're victims of the stupid system and of the ignorance of some managers. I am just giving some examples of what happened to me. I am sure when airlines are under-crewed it's the same music everywhere.As for FCA, it used to affect Cabin Crew only.....now it's affecting pilots as well....and they are not going to take any s**t I can promise you!! We'll see....

EH!!!:\

FBW:)

sammyhostie3
28th Jun 2004, 14:07
Yeah thats true.

I have to say that MYT's Crewing Dept have been really good to me.

But then again Im working part-time this year so I havent got the **** that comes with a full time roster.

5 on, 9 off is my rolling roster, which is very nice to organise your life around!

I guess as you say, Crewing only make the changes bcos of lack of crew.

At MYT they give us weekly rosters now, which is a lot more stable because last minute changes are usually on your roster, (so you wouldnt even know if you had a change, if you understand what I mean?!)

Dogs_ears_up
28th Jun 2004, 18:35
Aaaaahhhh - the old illegal roster gambit surfaces once more just in time for the Summer peak!

Hope you guys don't mind if I stir the pot a little, in the interests of starting up a bloody good barney! The following points are factors in the equation that are often overlooked (but shouldn't be).

With many airlines, there are rostering/crewing agreements that are layered above the legal rules. Therefore a roster, or duty, may be legal, but not comply with the internal company agreement. The key point here, is that the roster/duty is not illegal. Moral = To avoid embarrassment, be certain that you understand the full scope of both CAP371 and your company best practise agreements before you start calling a duty illegal.

Airlines will tend to hire the minimum number of staff they can, subject to the existing agreements, for the planned flying programme - to save costs. Those cost savings help keep us all employed and the company profitable. It has always been so, and always will. Moral = Get used to it!

The biggest single driver for changes to rostered duties (and flying short crewed) is Cabin Crew sickness, a significant percentage of which is social sickness. Crewing officers have learned to dread sunny weekends in Wimbledon fortnight and Robbie Wiliams concerts. It is a fact that Cabin Crew sickness levels can often be gauged in advance by experienced Crewing officers. That's before you've started on the normal round of sickness generated by parties, partners requirements, family events, hangovers, sick pets and good old fashioned "I can't be arsed to do it". Moral = There's a reason that you tend to get called out for the Saturday night Dalaman - somebody else didn't want to do it.

A certain amount of disruption is inevitable in airline life: It goes with the territory, especially in Summer. Most of us handle it well enough, but some never stop complaining (we all could name some in our own company). Moral = Deal with it or do something else.

Ok, now I'm dug in and ready, with food and ammunition for a long stay - come and get me! ;)

sammyhostie3
28th Jun 2004, 18:44
Just slightly patronising......

We know all that crap! Its just to sound off!

Dont take it so seriously.

Dogs_ears_up
28th Jun 2004, 19:07
Wow - sparky sammy! I guess the wedding is off then?

:{

sammyhostie3
28th Jun 2004, 19:10
Fraid so....

LOL