PDA

View Full Version : "Get off my airplane"

Shore Guy
28th Jun 2004, 10:19
Pilot Kicks Trustee Off Plane

A Hawaiian Airlines pilot declared his boss a safety hazard on Thursday and asked him to leave his airplane. Capt. Craig Kobayashi told Josh Gotbaum, the bankruptcy trustee now at the helm of the airline, that he was so angry with Gotbaum that he didn't think he could safely fly the Boeing 767-300 with the trustee aboard from Honolulu to San Francisco.
Gotbaum apparently tried to mention some of the positive things he's done for the airline, which has been bankrupt since March, but Kobayashi wasn't swayed and asked Gotbaum to leave, which he did. It's unclear whether the airline will take any sanctions against Kobayashi but the FAA is staying out of it. "A CAPTAIN IS IN CHARGE OF HIS OR HER SHIP" (emphasis mine), FAA spokesman Donn Walker told the Honolulu Advertiser. "It's the captain's place to decide who does or does not fly on his or her plane." Kobayashi told the Advertiser that many employees are emotional about certain decisions made by Gotbaum, including
the freezing of their pension plan. Kobayashi, 55, has been with Hawaiian Airlines for 25 years.

catchup
28th Jun 2004, 10:23
Respect! Who else has that sort of responsebility?

AVeight
28th Jun 2004, 10:36
Congratulations to Captain Kobayashi. I'm sure that the other people one that flight would have appreciated that the aircraft was being commanded by a pilot who was not angry!

Max Angle
28th Jun 2004, 12:35
that he was so angry with Gotbaum that he didn't think he could safely fly the Boeing 767-300 with the trustee aboard from Honolulu to San Francisco. If that's the blokes state of mind he should have off-loaded himself and let someone else take the flight. He may find himself drawing that frozen pension rather sooner than he thought.

Airbubba
28th Jun 2004, 12:53
This stunt has been tried time and again over the years with mixed results. I know a pilot who got a month off a few years ago for bumping management and the feds didn't overrule the decision. Of course, if the Hawaiian captain was really too mad to let the trustee on the aircraft, maybe he shouldn't be flying at all until he calms down.

>>"A CAPTAIN IS IN CHARGE OF HIS OR HER SHIP" (emphasis mine), FAA spokesman Donn Walker told the Honolulu Advertiser. "It's the captain's place to decide who does or does not fly on his or her plane."<<

In the politically correct real world of American aviation that depends. Several cases of bumping pax post 9-11 for alleged security reasons have been turned into a racial profiling claim so you really have to be careful.

Delta and other airlines have settled with the DOT and agreed to spend more on diversity training so that people who have the same perceived ethnicity as alleged terrorists are not discriminated against:

Delta settles civil rights complaint

Staff report
Published on: 06/22/04

Delta Air Lines agreed to spend $900,000 for civil rights training of workers after U.S. regulators found the carrier improperly kept off flights some travelers perceived as Arab, Middle Eastern, Southeast Asian or Muslim.

The settlement is the fourth by a U.S. airline regarding passenger treatment after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the Transportation Department said. Atlanta-based Delta must spend the money within two years for training of pilots, flight attendants and customer-service agents.

"Some passengers were denied boarding or removed from flights" because of their ethnicity, the department's consent order said, without saying how many. Since November, the Transportation Department has announced settlements with American and United for $1.5 million each in training and with Continental for $500,000.

Delta, the third-largest U.S. airline, said it didn't discriminate and "strenuously denies" it violated federal law, according to the department's order. "Delta is already firmly committed to the objectives of the civil rights laws," Peggy Estes, an airline spokeswoman, said in an e-mailed statement.

The airline told the department that its employees involved in the incidents acted out of safety and security concerns, not because of the passengers' race, color, national origin or religion, according to the consent order.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/business/delta/0604/22complaint.html

411A
28th Jun 2004, 15:04
The Captain, that is.

He does not deserve the respect he 'thinks' he should have.
Pension this turkey off pronto...he does not deserve the job, nor the Command which has been provided by the company.

Yes the company. If it were not for the company providing the opportunity for this turkey to advance to Command, he would not have a job even sweeping the hangar floor.

Come to think of it, perhaps that's where he belongs.
Pushing a broom.
What an idiot.

etrang
28th Jun 2004, 15:23
"if the Hawaiian captain was really too mad to let the trustee on the aircraft, maybe he shouldn't be flying at all until he calms down."

Exactly.

witchdoctor
28th Jun 2004, 17:03
Suppose his FO was called Kaizer Soze.:D

Note: For the terminally humourless, this is a little film buff observation.;)

Earl
28th Jun 2004, 19:47
Always 2 sides to the story, then there is the truth.
I am sure there is more to this than whats written here.

View From The Ground
28th Jun 2004, 21:04
Hmmmmmmmm...........methinks the Capt. making a point here, suspect he was perfectly capable of flying the plane safely with or without the Trustee on board

Human Factor
28th Jun 2004, 22:33
Perhaps a better way of dealing with it would have been either a technical problem or rapidly blocking ears.....

Jerricho
28th Jun 2004, 23:32
What if the captain had an ex-girfriend/boyfriend/mother-in-law that he hated on the flight, would he have the right to turf them off? Doesn't sound very professional at all.

Buster Hyman
29th Jun 2004, 02:47
Can't really comment on the right or wrong argument here, but one would think that the "right" of the Captain to make such decisions would be jeopardised by petulant & rash actions like this. Again, I don't know if that was the case, but you can erode the respect generally enjoyed by commercial pilots with one, ill thought action.

His dudeness
29th Jun 2004, 10:58
My respect for Capt. Kobayashi !
Sometimes these management types need a kick...
I hope heŽll get out of it without troubles.
Tankermytanker: exactly !

Mishandled
29th Jun 2004, 12:33
And giving "respect" to a "professional" that can't control his emotions enough to do his job "professionally", is constructive then? What a pile of cr@p. If I treated any other member of my company like that, whether more senior than me or less, I would expect to be sacked, and rightly so. 411a isn't popular here, however he/she is as entitled as the rest of you to have an opinion. Attack the argument not the man/woman. (If you're up to it that is.):mad:

Arkroyal
29th Jun 2004, 12:37
Much as it pains me to do it......................

411a......................I a (choke, choke) I agree with you!

pinkstar
29th Jun 2004, 15:43
411a......................I agree with you!
SO DO I 411A

THE ***PINKSTAR****