PDA

View Full Version : Is it common to pay for PPC's in Oz and NZ?

roverlad
28th Jun 2004, 01:41
I am noticing a fair amount of posts on this site of people from Oz and NZ asking where to pay for their ppc's on different aircraft. Is it like the U.S. then in that you tend to only be able to move upwards when you have a ppc in aircraft that a prospective company has?
In Canada virtually no one goes and pays for ppc's at all. In fact what I have seen and heard is that when someone does go to say the likes of "flight safety international" to get a ppc they tend to get razzed by pilots that say they "paid" their way for that job. Generally companies pay for your upgrade/ppc when they hire you on or you fly right seat then move onto the left seat.
It may be that it is the way the aviation industry is in Oz that it is the accepted norm or am I just seeing the exceptions? Sorry I don't mean to sound naive but is that how things are down there? Just curious...

roverlad

currawong
28th Jun 2004, 02:16
Astute observation, roverlad.

I am not the most qualified to comment but it does seem to be the way things are moving in this part of the world.

Many positions require one to be rated to apply. For some, that means buying a 737 rating, or similar.

Used to be airlines would supply instrument ratings to those requiring them when they joined the company.....

Wizofoz
28th Jun 2004, 07:56
roverlad,

It's simply a case of supply and demand. If sufficient pilots are available with or willing to obtain the neccessary type rating, they go to the front of the queue.

Qantas might be the current exeption, but interestingly, it's part-owner British Airways has, for the first time, introduced a "direct entry" scheme for type rated pilots, and after the Ansett collapse, QF did make exeptions and put type rated guys RHS in the 737s without having to go through the SO ranks.

Big Piluka
28th Jun 2004, 08:03
The deal is that if you pass the initial interview you get the job, providing you pass the endorsement training. You foot the bill for the endorsement (about AU$25000+ for 737).

That is the case for Virgin Blue re 737 and will also apply to Jet Star re A320. Other airlines haven't followed.... yet but the rot has started, seems to be the way of the future.